Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 10:37:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 08:35:36 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 02:16:42 AM
I don't know. I like the mother who posted tactfully that Schilling is just perpetuating this sort of behaviour as he directed the Twitter mob to go after each of these guys.

Did I give the impression that any facet of this situation was not horrifying?

Sorry, it was just that element that struck me as horrifying that wasn't really addressed. Which, of course, makes sense given that it is his blog and he is unlikely to call attention to his own appalling behaviour.

I don't think Schilling did anything horrifying or appalling.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on March 04, 2015, 10:56:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 10:37:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 08:35:36 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 02:16:42 AM
I don't know. I like the mother who posted tactfully that Schilling is just perpetuating this sort of behaviour as he directed the Twitter mob to go after each of these guys.

Did I give the impression that any facet of this situation was not horrifying?

Sorry, it was just that element that struck me as horrifying that wasn't really addressed. Which, of course, makes sense given that it is his blog and he is unlikely to call attention to his own appalling behaviour.

I don't think Schilling did anything horrifying or appalling.

I do. While said individuals acted terribly, it is also not good to call upon the internet to hunt them down - which he did at the end of his blog entry. Where does the viciousness end?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 10:58:35 AM
I do. While said individuals acted terribly, it is also not good to call upon the internet to hunt them down - which he did at the end of his blog entry. Where does the viciousness end?

He is a parent so it is not terribly surprising the gloves came off.  But yeah those guys are fucked now. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 11:00:47 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 10:58:35 AM

He is a parent so it is not terribly surprising the gloves came off.  But yeah those guys are fucked now. 

Well yeah, I didn't mean to suggest it is surprising nor that they "didn't have it coming" but I do think it unfortunate how he is really just adding to the mess. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 11:04:40 AM
Well yeah, I didn't mean to suggest it is surprising nor that they "didn't have it coming" but I do think it unfortunate how he is really just adding to the mess. :(

He's not adding to the mess.  He's chastising the wicked.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2015, 11:09:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 11:04:40 AM

He's not adding to the mess.  He's chastising the wicked.

QuoteUPDATE

I wanted to let you internet sleuths have a go. Here are two guys that, as you can see, thought they were somehow funny and tough at the same time.

These guys went to town. If you guys reading this that know how to find people on the 'net want to have at it, please do.

That's beyond chastising. He's actively calling out the hounds.

Valmy

Schilling will show those guys no mercy.  Which is kind of my point.  Twitter is not fun and games.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 11:14:55 AM
That's beyond chastising. He's actively calling out the hounds.

Beyond?  Are you saying the punishment is disproportionate to the crime?

Getting harrassed online seems a very just punishment for harrassing someone online.

Valmy

He is not talking about online harassment he is talking about getting their real identities.

CountDeMoney

Wait, what?  I thought we were discussing an Irish island?  How the fuck did the Red Sox get involved?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 04, 2015, 11:31:09 AM
Wait, what?  I thought we were discussing an Irish island?  How the fuck did the Red Sox get involved?

This is the off-topic, boo. If you can't handle multiple conversation streams...well that's just plain sad.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 04, 2015, 11:31:09 AM

Red Sox?  I was talking about the D-Backs.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2015, 10:03:57 AM
"... only accessible by boat or helicopter when weather conditions are suitable". Why do I get the horrible feeling they aren't adding "...which is, realistically, around twice a year"?  :lol:

Looking at the pictures there appears to be no reason you can't land a boat in almost any weather conditions.  With some extra investment, you can probably even build a breakwater somewhere for a small sheltered harbor.

Malthus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 04, 2015, 01:32:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2015, 10:03:57 AM
"... only accessible by boat or helicopter when weather conditions are suitable". Why do I get the horrible feeling they aren't adding "...which is, realistically, around twice a year"?  :lol:

Looking at the pictures there appears to be no reason you can't land a boat in almost any weather conditions.  With some extra investment, you can probably even build a breakwater somewhere for a small sheltered harbor.

I take it you are unfamiliar with North Atlantic weather ...  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius