News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

53.  This is how CDM and I get along so well.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

I didn't take the test
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

53 and I did take it.  I'm ok with that result. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on March 04, 2015, 03:24:31 PM
50 non-standard places to visit:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/01/10/travel/2014-places-to-go.html?_r=0

:hmm:
Albania does appeal for some reason.

Friends rented an off road car and drove around Albania for two weeks. They say it was amazing. The people are friendly, and very welcoming to strangers. At least in the country side. The cities, according to their accounts, were shitholes and they did feel uncomfortable and slightly unsafe there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

But yeah, Vienna? Take a walk around Inner City or Schönbrunn on a clear Sunday and tell me it's not popular with tourists. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

MadImmortalMan

Yeah, Tahoe's pretty damn crowded too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Actually, there's been some pushback against the "eventization" of the city. There's a citizen's initiative for opening the "Kaiserwiese" (the large meadow in front of the ferris wheel in Prater) for the general public again, as it's designated a public park. However, it's almost constantly inaccessible because it's rented out to some overpriced event or other (e.g. a Vienna Oktoberfest in September/October that charges 40 EUR admission).

Near the Danube canal, citizens are complaining that one of the few green spaces there is scheduled to be replaced by "event gastronomy" for 800+ guests. Large scale event locations keep popping up. I've noticed myself that come Christmas time every free space in the city seems to get its own Christmas Market now - we had plenty before, but they're now filling the nooks and crannies, and usually with bland generic stands. The days that the square in front of Rathaus is empty can be counted on two hands by this point. Christmas market, skating rink, various themed fairs, the summer food stands and video wall with classical music ...
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

Cities are for the rich.  It's the same all over.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)