And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on March 04, 2015, 03:24:31 PM
50 non-standard places to visit:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/01/10/travel/2014-places-to-go.html?_r=0

:hmm:
Albania does appeal for some reason.

Kind of a bizarre list. I don't know if places like Cape Town, Siem Reap, Athens, Scotland, Nepal, Dubai, the Vatican, and Yogyakarta really qualify as "non standard".  On the other hand, I've lived in or near Atlanta and Indianapolis and struggle to see the international appeal of either.

However, it has Patagonia on the list, which is imo the greatest destination ever, so that redeems everything.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on March 04, 2015, 04:58:19 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 04, 2015, 03:24:31 PM
50 non-standard places to visit:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/01/10/travel/2014-places-to-go.html?_r=0

:hmm:
Albania does appeal for some reason.

Kind of a bizarre list. I don't know if places like Cape Town, Siem Reap, Athens, Scotland, Nepal, Dubai, the Vatican, and Yogyakarta really qualify as "non standard".  On the other hand, I've lived in or near Atlanta and Indianapolis and struggle to see the international appeal of either.

However, it has Patagonia on the list, which is imo the greatest destination ever, so that redeems everything.

"Vienna" really had me scratching my head for being "non standard".

And Calgary had me scratching my head completely.  It's a nice town, I like it, but I wouldn't recommend anyone visit except as a stopover for skiing (and maybe the Stampede).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on March 04, 2015, 05:02:04 PM

"Vienna" really had me scratching my head for being "non standard".

And Calgary had me scratching my head completely.  It's a nice town, I like it, but I wouldn't recommend anyone visit except as a stopover for skiing (and maybe the Stampede).

A place like Albania is probably a good pick for the list. I guess the author got tired of thinking up ideas so just started tossing out standard tourist places and a few random locations.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Tests! I love tests!

How old do you really act?

http://en.what-character-are-you.com/d/en/1383/0.html

I'm 36 and I got... 19.  :Embarrass:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

19 and life. Wait, wrong reference...

crazy canuck

QuoteYou act as though you're

You often find yourself quite busy, with tons of people relying on you and your work – all in all, you've got a quite heavy load on your shoulders. Though you do like to let go and party, there often just doesn't seem to be enough time for it. This does bring you down from time to time, but in the end you know that all your achievements are more rewarding than a night out

Pretty much bang on  :D

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

No shit, right?  I feel so...alive!

Admiral Yi

Is being messy an old thing or a young thing?

CountDeMoney

I guess it depends on how strong an influence women are in your life.