Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2015, 01:35:18 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 04, 2015, 01:32:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2015, 10:03:57 AM
"... only accessible by boat or helicopter when weather conditions are suitable". Why do I get the horrible feeling they aren't adding "...which is, realistically, around twice a year"?  :lol:

Looking at the pictures there appears to be no reason you can't land a boat in almost any weather conditions.  With some extra investment, you can probably even build a breakwater somewhere for a small sheltered harbor.

I take it you are unfamiliar with North Atlantic weather ...  :lol:

No, I'm very familiar with North Atlantic weather.  It wouldn't be safe or easy, but that partially-sheltered cove on the southwest[1] has a wide, sloping beach.  A vessel designed to run up on shore should be able to beach even in high sea states.  The sections of the island with the visible breakers in the picture are probably the most affected by the high sea states anyway.

Of course, I am coming up with all this based solely on a few pictures of the island on an unusually calm day. :P

[1] If I have the orientation of the island correct in the full-island picture.

lustindarkness

I'm sure that when the Navy SEALs visit, they can land on that island no matter the weather. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

sbr

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 10:58:35 AM
Quote from: sbr on March 04, 2015, 10:56:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 10:37:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 08:35:36 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2015, 02:16:42 AM
I don't know. I like the mother who posted tactfully that Schilling is just perpetuating this sort of behaviour as he directed the Twitter mob to go after each of these guys.

Did I give the impression that any facet of this situation was not horrifying?

Sorry, it was just that element that struck me as horrifying that wasn't really addressed. Which, of course, makes sense given that it is his blog and he is unlikely to call attention to his own appalling behaviour.

I don't think Schilling did anything horrifying or appalling.

I do. While said individuals acted terribly, it is also not good to call upon the internet to hunt them down - which he did at the end of his blog entry.

Maybe I am biased because I am the father of daughters.

This isn't some random lynch mob because of a bad AIDS joke on the way to Africa, or any of the hundreds of other we have heard about.  If Schilling had done this in other circumstances I may say he was in the wrong, like if he was a third party and just stumbled upon the tweets. 

That's not what happened though.  He tweeted congratulations out to his 17 year old daughter and in return received a bunch of vicious rape jokes/threats/wishes directly back to him (and his daughter, not sure?).  This wasn't him overhearing a conversation, this was them saying it directly to his face.

QuoteWhere does the viciousness end?

Maybe once jackasses realize they are not as anonymous as they thought they were online, and are called out publicly and in real life for making jokes/threats/whatever about the rape and bloody underwear of a 17 year old.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on March 04, 2015, 02:45:32 PM
Maybe once jackasses realize they are not as anonymous as they thought they were online, and are called out publicly and in real life for making jokes/threats/whatever about the rape and bloody underwear of a 17 year old.

This is what society has to grasp.  Anything you say on twitter or Facebook or anywhere online connected to your real name is far more permanent and problematic than if you said it to somebody's face.

I am not saying these guys did not bring it on themselves.  But they are really going to pay for this one.  Granted if those tweets really represented their values then maybe society wins.  I think they thought they were just shooting the shit on a message board or something and were too stupid to realize they were saying it directly to a girl's father.  With their real names.  In public.  To a celebrity.  I mean it just boggles the mind.

Oh and the girl is a minor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Unless there's a video of it.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on March 04, 2015, 02:52:32 PM

Even then it may not pop up every time somebody Googles you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2015, 02:55:18 PM
Quote from: Maximus on March 04, 2015, 02:52:32 PM

Even then it may not pop up every time somebody Googles you.
At least not yet.

Syt

Tumblr comparing art before 1600 and Hip Hop:

More here: http://b4-16.tumblr.com/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Old school.  That is what I'm talkin' about!

Syt

Also, I was previously unaware of the existence of the ATL twins. It was a nicer, prettier, more innocent world time before I heard of them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

I was dicking around on Expedia and found that air alone to Kiev costs $1,300, but air plus hotel starts at $1,200.   :hmm:

Jacob

Quote from: sbr on March 04, 2015, 02:45:32 PM
That's not what happened though.  He tweeted congratulations out to his 17 year old daughter and in return received a bunch of vicious rape jokes/threats/wishes directly back to him (and his daughter, not sure?).  This wasn't him overhearing a conversation, this was them saying it directly to his face.

From the original link:
QuoteMy daughter comes to me beyond upset. She didn't do anything, she never said anything, yet she's now receiving personal messages with guys saying things to her, well let's just say I can't repeat and I'm getting beyond angry thinking about it.

Valmy

Yeah those geniuses were messaging her as well because...of course they were. 

MadImmortalMan

Got my license renewed. The new one says on it "Not For Federal Official Use".
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers