And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 03, 2015, 01:31:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2015, 01:25:25 PM
Vancouver now has the highest gas prices in North America 1.32 per litre.  Apparently 50 cents of that is taxation.

Having nice schools, clean air and drinkable water sucks, doesn't it?

I don't mind paying for those things.  But, like sales taxes, gas taxes are not the best way to fund such things as they are regressive taxes which impair economic activity.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2015, 01:41:57 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 03, 2015, 01:31:44 PM
Vancouver now has the highest gas prices in North America 1.32 per litre.  Apparently 50 cents of that is taxation.

Having nice schools, clean air and drinkable water sucks, doesn't it?

I don't mind paying for those things.  But, like sales taxes, gas taxes are not the best way to fund such things as they are regressive taxes which impair economic activity.

Where'd you get the revenue from instead? And would you reduce the Local tax, the Provincial tax, or both?

Josquius

Taxation on petrol sounds pretty progressive to me. Takes cars off the roads. I hope they're spending the money on trains....
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 03, 2015, 01:57:42 PM
Taxation on petrol sounds pretty progressive to me. Takes cars off the roads. I hope they're spending the money on trains....

Progressive in this context refers to people w/ higher incomes paying more.

CountDeMoney

Syt

It turns out that Die Zeit (German news site) has an Off Topic Topic themselves - an article without topic for readers to comment about whatever as long as they observe the site etiquette. 448 comments since April last year. Amateurs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Beating Montreal & it's collusion. Now that's impressive.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 03, 2015, 02:06:33 PM
regressive taxes which impair economic activity.

:rolleyes: :bleeding:

I am not sure what your complaint is.  High gas taxes take a proportionately bigger bite out of low and middle class disposable income and therefore affects their spending decisions.  Less disposable income necessarily means less spending which equals less economic activity.  High income earners don't really notice the extra cost and it doesn't affect their spending.

Quote from: Jacob on March 03, 2015, 01:48:33 PM
Where'd you get the revenue from instead? And would you reduce the Local tax, the Provincial tax, or both?

If I was king for a day I would keep the carbon tax and the transit tax components and I would eliminate the remaining Provincial and Federal tax components.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2015, 03:32:29 PM

I am not sure what your complaint is.  High gas taxes take a proportionately bigger bite out of low and middle class disposable income and therefore affects their spending decisions.  Less disposable income necessarily means less spending which equals less economic activity.  High income earners don't really notice the extra cost and it doesn't affect their spending.

My complaint was peering into the future, and finding another 6 page Languish argument on regressive versus progressive taxation.   :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 03, 2015, 03:38:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2015, 03:32:29 PM

My complaint was peering into the future, and finding another 6 page Languish argument on regressive versus progressive taxation.   :P

:D

garbon

I have my first day of work tomorrow!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Tell everybody you support Manchester United.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on March 03, 2015, 11:14:10 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 02, 2015, 09:41:38 PM
I can no longer eat Peanut Butter cups. They make me sick as a dog now.

End of an era :(

It is.  :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 02, 2015, 09:41:38 PM
I can no longer eat Peanut Butter cups. They make me sick as a dog now.

Have you considered ritual suicide?  I would.

Actually, I think it's possible I have pre-diabetes.  I'm going to go get some bloodwork done.  It would certainly be the cherry on my sundae.  That I can't eat. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)