Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I loved it. But I'm very easily swayed by a vibes movie :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2023, 03:46:32 AMI loved it. But I'm very easily swayed by a vibes movie :ph34r:

I did enjoy watching it. It's just that it's a bit thin imho, and it's made many "best of the 2010s" lists so I was expecting a bit more meat to it.

I feel like Glazer is going for a sci-fi Pasolini schtick, with a predatorial-yet-naive being that ultimately is destroyed by the world she's trying to comprehend, but it never gets past being a vibes movie.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on December 08, 2023, 03:44:19 AMUnder the Skin - This is a quite famous movie among film buffs that I never quite got around to watch. ScarJo drives a van abducting Scots to drain their lifeforce (and yes, it did remind me of a pretentious version of LifeForce :D) It's a good movie, the visuals, sound design and overall vibe are pretty mesmerizing. But - and pardon me the pun - I don't think there's that much under the skin. It's one of those movies that's cryptic for it's own sake. Also, ScarJo gets nekkid.

I'll stick with Lifeforce then, thank you.  :P

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 08, 2023, 06:33:34 AMI'll stick with Lifeforce then, thank you.  :P

Does it also have nekkid ScarJo?

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on December 08, 2023, 07:36:03 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 08, 2023, 06:33:34 AMI'll stick with Lifeforce then, thank you.  :P

Nekkid Mathilda May which ain't bad at all.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on December 07, 2023, 05:23:12 AMI am seeing a lot of nerd rage over how bad Napoleon is, and it sounds justified.

It's pretty bad.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on December 08, 2023, 02:49:30 AMElf pets Santa's reindeer rescue - kill me now. This is the third time. Why does he like this. Why. It's absolute trash even as stuff for kids goes. Such an awful advert for elf on the shelf and some "now you can spend more money" addon pack that apparently exists.
Such a shame the boy is currently at an animation only stage and won't appreciate live action. I want Elf.

Shows aimed squarely at pre-schoolers are very very difficult for an adult to sit and watch, and yes they like to watch the same thing over and over again.

It does get better once they're school age though...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Boys are still watching Ren and Stimpy.  Last night it was the Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen episode.  It had me howling.  I mean sure, part of it is the nostalgia of being reminded of a joke from 30 years ago, but who can't help but be stirred by the Kilted Yaksmen anthem (sung to the tune of God Save the King):

Our country reeks of trees
Our yaks are really large
And they smell like rotting beef carcasses
And we have to clean up after them
And our saddle sores are the best
We proudly wear women's clothing
And searing sand blows up our skirts

And the buzzards, they soar overhead
And poisonous snakes will devour us whole
Our bones will bleach in the sun
And we will probably go to hell
And that is our great reward
For being the-uh roy-oy-al Canadian Kilted Yaksmen
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on December 08, 2023, 08:07:39 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 08, 2023, 07:36:03 AM

Nekkid Mathilda May which ain't bad at all.

Understatement of the week! :D

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on December 08, 2023, 03:44:19 AMUnder the Skin - This is a quite famous movie among film buffs that I never quite got around to watch. ScarJo drives a van abducting Scots to drain their lifeforce (and yes, it did remind me of a pretentious version of LifeForce :D) It's a good movie, the visuals, sound design and overall vibe are pretty mesmerizing. But - and pardon me the pun - I don't think there's that much under the skin. It's one of those movies that's cryptic for it's own sake. Also, ScarJo gets nekkid.

One of the interesting things I had heard about this film...

QuoteA remarkable aspect of Under the Skin is that a lot of the people who appear in it aren't actors. They're normal people – who happen to be walking down a road minding their own business when a pretty lady pulls up in a van alongside them and offers them a lift to Tesco and then a film crew clutching disclaimers leaps out of the back.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on December 08, 2023, 03:44:19 AMAlso, ScarJo gets nekkid.
The only redeeming thing about that movie, IIRC
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

So Napoleon was pretty meh, but I suppose I had lowered my expectations so much that I was kinda suprised of not hating it.

And man, Rupert Everett hasn't aged gracefully - but he makes a great Wellington. One of the few things of the movie I'd like to see more of in the purported 4 hour director's cut.

Syt

Rupert Everett is forever Cemetery Man for me (original title: DellaMorte DellAmore) - one of the more bizarre/surreal zombie horror comedies. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Gen V

Spin off to The Boys.  Not on par to the original.  Poor writing.  More like Vampire Diaries and similar shows.  Repetitive dialogues, unoriginal plot.  They used the blood/gore and mature language of The Boys for shock value without the core plot of power corruption.  More in line with previous teenage Marvel stories.

Not recommended.  Although I am told the plot lines will be essential to The Boys season 4.  Might want to read online about what it is instead.  Imho, it's 8 hours wasted for any adult.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on December 10, 2023, 10:24:18 PMGen V

Spin off to The Boys.  Not on par to the original.  Poor writing.  More like Vampire Diaries and similar shows.  Repetitive dialogues, unoriginal plot.  They used the blood/gore and mature language of The Boys for shock value without the core plot of power corruption.  More in line with previous teenage Marvel stories.

Not recommended.  Although I am told the plot lines will be essential to The Boys season 4.  Might want to read online about what it is instead.  Imho, it's 8 hours wasted for any adult.

I'm torn on it. Conceptually it so much seems...yeah. American High School, rad dude! (yes, I know, its a uni)
But...I did like Smallville. And it has snippets of seeming to be something? I've gotten through to episode 4. I like the handling powers in realistic and shitty ways aspects.
Nothing on The Boys obviously but I'm slowly stumbling through it, albeit largely with half of my attention.
██████
██████
██████