News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I'm looking at the user critic on Metacritic for Rebel Moon, the latest Zack Snyder movie.
Lots of 9 and 10, lots of 0 and 1.
No 4,5,6 or 7.
It's like a lot of people hate it because there's a woman kicking ass (reminds me some other ZS movies), and a lot of Zack Snyder personal friends voted for the movie.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

The movie looks like a trainwreck, tbf. It might be a good "watch a terrible movie with beers and friends" though.

Just remember that there's an alternate universe where this is Disney's Star Wars.

Sophie Scholl

I finally watched a trailer for it. Prior to now, I've just known it was Snyder's latest and seen the posters. It... certainly looks like a peak Snyder movie. No doubt it will feature of all his trademark elements with no restraint brought down by the vague attempt to fit into an existing property.  :mellow:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on December 19, 2023, 06:37:49 PMMan you know your faction sucks when it's led by Florida.

How to say "the retarded faction" without saying "the retarded faction".

Savonarola

The Broadway Melody of 1940 (1940)

Like any good musical from the era there's almost no story (Fred Astaire and George Murphy are down on their luck dancers, Elanor Powell is the toast of Broadway, hilarity ensues.)  It's notable in the number of vaudeville-esque acts that are presented throughout and for Powell's tap-dancing.  This is the only Astaire musical that I can think of where the girl gets her own solo numbers. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Season 14 of Archer, apparently this is still going.

Ep. 1&2 are a double episode. They seem to establish a new status quo. Lana is taking over as "new Mallory" - which kinda works, I guess? And a new character is onboarded that establishes a similar dynamic to what Archer/Lana had in early seasons. It's fine. A few laughs here and there, but nothing too "out there." Remains to be seen how this shakes out over the rest of the season.

Though I feel they're now throwing in obscure references just because. The show has always done that, but it felt more organically in the past? At any rate, I had to look up who Gertrude Ederle and Lillian Leitzel were, as well as Farrell and Balanchine. (Though I did like reading their bios on Wiki.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Archer had its moments. 

Violent Night was good. Not amazing, but good.

Doctor Who Christmas special 2023 was enjoyable.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on December 22, 2023, 03:52:23 AMThe movie looks like a trainwreck, tbf. It might be a good "watch a terrible movie with beers and friends" though.

That is stuff for Duke, along with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes  or something :P

I still have to drag myself through the last Fast and Furious movie.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on December 21, 2023, 11:18:48 PMI'm looking at the user critic on Metacritic for Rebel Moon, the latest Zack Snyder movie.
Lots of 9 and 10, lots of 0 and 1.
No 4,5,6 or 7.
It's like a lot of people hate it because there's a woman kicking ass (reminds me some other ZS movies), and a lot of Zack Snyder personal friends voted for the movie.

Equally could be lots of people liking it just because it's shit goes bang and lots of people hating it just because it's shit goes bang.
That's the vibe I've been getting. Not noticed any special sexism in this case.. But then I have zero interest.  Even the title is so uninspired.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

We have this odd tradition of watching some dumb action movie with my brother and my dad on Boxing Day. Kind of a nostalgia thing. Gerard Butler movies, Jerry Bruckheimer movies, that kind of thing.

Anyway, we put on Ambulance by Michael Bay, and I was both surprised and horrified at how much I enjoyed it. I think it's more at how bad the "generic dumb action movie" genre has got in the recent times, I found myself realizing that I'd rather watch any Bay movie that The Gray Man, Ghosted, and similar crap. This one at least had personality, even if it's Michael Bay's personality. And fronted by Gyllenhaal delightfully chewing scenery like he's just finished his diet.

And the action is much better than in, say, the Marvel or DC movies. Bay still shoots 1990s-style, and CGI isn't overpresent, a lot of it it's still practical. I.e. he uses drones to pull off a shitload of intrincate and cool tracking shots that 90% of movies would probably do in CGI. And for all his faults, he was always been good at making scenes feel kinetic even if confusing.

Anyway, I'll go pray to Movie Jesus to absolve me of my sin.

More seriously though, depending on how you feel about Pain & Gain this is probably his best movie.

The Brain

Triangle of Sadness. Rambling no-focus movie, with no discernible message beyond "rich people suck" in an im14andthisisdeep sense. Garbage, avoid. I only made it roughly halfway through. The writer/director has made at least one decent movie before, but he may have forgotten how.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Pain & Gain is awesome.  :lol:

Gups

Babylon. Way too long and disjointed but plenty of laugh out lou :shutup: d moments

Josquius

Xmas Dr who...

So the new Dr. Never seen him before. A lot camper than I thought he'd be, and also are there hints of an African accent? I wonder how much of this is the guy just being himself vs put on for his spin on the doctor.
Seems pretty likable though.

The show itself... Wow they're really going all in for fantasy over Sci fi aren't they. It does make sense as a direction in a way but curious and it is kind of sad.

Also the song. Is this going to be a recurring thing now? Not sure what I feel there. The joke already wears thin

Overall have to say it's one of the better christmas specials we've had. Actually decent.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Godzilla -1.
Meh. I wanted to see Poor Things, but my friend wanted to see this. "I heard such good things about it," she said.

It's a monster movie.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011