News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2024, 04:12:40 PMWell yeah - also in the UK you can get married, have sex, leave school, join the army etc at 16 (and there's a big campaign for votes at 16 too - which is already the case in Scotland).

But it is a fair point - the film (inevitably) is  lot less disturbing than the book. I don't think a plain adaptation of Lolita is really possible...

Pretty sure the same is true in Canada and the US.  Heck we only recently raised the age of sexual consent from 14 to 16.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2024, 04:05:01 PMTo be clear I've seen neither movie - I just reviewed wiki and the like.

In Lolita the girl is the main character's step-daughter, the affair is hidden.  The movie appears to emphasize how grown up and mature the girl is.

In Lola (which was surely renamed to be similar to Lolita - the girl's name is Twinky, which was the original title) they are legally married, and everything is above board.  That being said the "humour" seems to come from how immature the girl is.

Oh, okay, yes I can see that.  It's been a long time since I've seen Lolita, but from what I remember the humor comes from either Peter Seller's mimicry or Shelly Winters chewing scenery as only she could.  Lolita is indeed supposed to be mature.  One of the things that starts driving Lolita and Humbert apart is that she starts participating in her school, hence the "Teenage pastimes" in the Wiki article sounded identical in both cases.

Maybe "Manhattan" would have been a better comparison; although (once again it's been a long time since I've seen it) Woody Allen comes across as the less mature partner in that one.   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

I can't even remember the part Sellers played.  Police?  Another perv trying to bang Lolita?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2024, 04:50:11 PMI can't even remember the part Sellers played.  Police?  Another perv trying to bang Lolita?
The latter (and he does), Clare Quilty.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Old Oak - Clear Horden village analogue, land of massive poverty and houses going for sub £10k, starts to see an influx of Syrian refugees due to houses being bought up in auctions by shifty faceless companies.
Hilarity ensues as miffed locals lash out at the refugees for getting free stuff and owner of the failing local pub tries to be a good guy.

It's Ken Loach.
Some of the acting and dialogue is really clunky and off whilst others are real actors.
The message isn't quite so overt as it often is in his films I think. Misses a trick perhaps in not digging into those drawn to fascism a bit more and sticking instead to simple messages of solidarity.
Also interesting hints about the value of third spaces and the sadness of the decline in local pubs that more could have been made of.

Not his best but decent enough.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2024, 04:12:40 PMBut it is a fair point - the film (inevitably) is  lot less disturbing than the book. I don't think a plain adaptation of Lolita is really possible...

The Kubrick one was different than the novel for sure, but wasn't the Jeremy Irons one a lot closer to the book? Lolita, by the way, is a great novel, and worth a read. It's not pedophile erotica by any stretch. There's a lot going on in it, and in many ways it's Nabokov's observation on American culture of the time. It's unfortunate that the term "lolita" now has become synonymous with lurid child pron.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Across the SPider-verse was good.  Looking forward to the next one.
PDH!

celedhring

So, I was visiting mom and while looking into "shows I can watch with my mom that won't bore me to tears" we stumbled upon the Percy Jackson show. Haven't seen the 2010s movies, but it felt like a Harry Potter ripoff with Greek mythology instead of British wizards. The first episode was a bit bland and predictable, but reviews aren't terrible so we might give it another go next time I'm over there.

Left me wondering, I went through a huge Greek mythology phase as a kid. Is that still a thing? The books I assume were pretty successful, but they came out nearly 20 years ago, too.

Admiral Yi

The attack of the Old Guard at Waterloo in "Napoleon" is just ridiculous.

Josquius

I finished foundation series 2.
Really left the books behind hasn't it.
The super powered Seldon diamond is weird and confusing.
But otherwise it's a good show.
Wonder if they'll do Gaia or they just mashed it with second foundation with sprinkled on villainy.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2024, 06:31:44 PMThe attack of the Old Guard at Waterloo in "Napoleon" is just ridiculous.

The Old Guard never attacked at Waterloo.  But it's a good thing that they labelled the clip "Battle of Waterloo scene" for those of us historians who would otherwise be bewildered as to what the fuck that was supposed to be.  None of what I saw corresponded to what happened that day, nor to the way  any of those armies fought.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2024, 06:31:44 PM

The attack of the Old Guard at Waterloo in "Napoleon" is just ridiculous.
That really sucked.  The 1970 movie Waterloo was big.  It felt big.  The battle in the video feels very small.  There should be smoke everywhere, shells should be going off, you should see other units fighting in the background even if they are just CGI.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on January 14, 2024, 09:20:53 PMThe Old Guard never attacked at Waterloo.  But it's a good thing that they labelled the clip "Battle of Waterloo scene" for those of us historians who would otherwise be bewildered as to what the fuck that was supposed to be.  None of what I saw corresponded to what happened that day, nor to the way  any of those armies fought.

I guess we're nerds, but I've always been satisfied with how Hollywood typically depicts large battles as being essentially the same whether it's Spartans vs Persians, Orcs vs Humans, Napoleonic French vs English, Starwas goodies vs Starwars baddies, Romans vs Germannic Tribes folk or anything else. It's almost always just a pell-mell swirling melee with no rhyme or reason to it.

Syt

Yeah. As much as I love Star Wars, it was always hard to watch the two armies charging at and smash into each other in Attack of the Clones, or the "beach landing" in Revenge of the Sith, where both sides are still charging at each other and clash in the middle. :lol:

I always appreciated the battles in Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the old show, haven't seen the remake yet) which were basically Napoleonic battles in space and at least had strategic plans and tactical maneuvers, with sides trying to outwit each other (and instead of, say 40,000 men on each side, they'd have 40,000 ships :P ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.