News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 14, 2023, 06:13:18 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 14, 2023, 03:57:22 AMThe scenario looks a bit ridiculous (Texas and California alliance? :D). But it's Alex Garland, I've got season tickets for anything he does and I'm sure everything will make sense somehow (or that it won't matter that it doesn't).
That was my first reaction too.

Then I figured, if they made it a South-Carolina-Texas alliance, it might hit too close to home for comfort and some people would scream bloody murder about giving wrong ideas to the wrong people.

I can't say I was impressed by Ex Machina, way too predictable, and I didn't like Annihilation.
Dredd was awesome though.

Trailer looks cool, and I'm down for almost anything Nick Offerman is in. :)

Yeah, I took it as probably the "Texas-California Alliance" as being deliberately done to NOT make it a red-state vs blue-state political hot button, although undoubtedly it's going to take up some of those kind of themes - just not explicit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

"Men" wasn't particularly subtle in its themes, tbf  :lol:

But Annihilation was great in the way it puts a group of supersmart women in the lead and never makes a fuss of it. It just happens.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on December 15, 2023, 02:41:04 PMBut Annihilation was great in the way it puts a group of supersmart women in the lead and never makes a fuss of it. It just happens.
On that, yeah, sure.  Thinking about it, I can't remember any Incel drama about the movie either.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

I think incel stuff tends to be about what's "theirs". Doubt a new original film would really even cross the radar of that world - but I could be very wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 15, 2023, 07:51:39 PMI think incel stuff tends to be about what's "theirs". Doubt a new original film would really even cross the radar of that world - but I could be very wrong.

Dunno, plenty of videos of creeps gleefully bashing the last animated Disney film, although seeing Disney fail has become a bit of a culture war for them. Aliens vs Predator stuff.

Oppenheimer did get plenty of creeps fawning over it for creep reasons too

HVC

I don't necessarily think is always incels (though misogyny does make up a significant part of it). It's the feeling of attachment and ownership. If they made heathers or little women with burly lumberjacks I think you'd have some blowback too. Hardcore fans are hardcore for a reason.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on December 15, 2023, 07:58:39 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 15, 2023, 07:51:39 PMI think incel stuff tends to be about what's "theirs". Doubt a new original film would really even cross the radar of that world - but I could be very wrong.

Dunno, plenty of videos of creeps gleefully bashing the last animated Disney film, although seeing Disney fail has become a bit of a culture war for them. Aliens vs Predator stuff.

But Disney failing is funny because they keep doing it over and over again and getting surprised. Plus they're a big evil corporation which adds schadenfreude
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Really, what kind of creeps did Oppenheimer get?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2023, 09:24:08 PM

Really, what kind of creeps did Oppenheimer get?

It's out there.

I mean, Oppenheimer is a manly dude that fucks whoever he wants, invents the atomic bomb, and is played by Tommy Shelby - of course that's going to attract people for creepy incel reasons.

And this is not a slam against the movie or anything. Just that people are going to latch onto stuff for the wrong reasons sometimes.

Josephus

Saw Barbie yesterday, which made it's debut on Canadian streamer Crave.
Funny in that I wouldn't have given this any thought had it not been for all the hype and positive reviews, so I went in expecting more.
It started off well, the whole 2001 parody bit. And it was fun to watch for the most part, all that subversive feminist stuff. That was all well done. I thought it slowed down by the last act, although it was saved by the very last line.
Good fun, if any of you are considering it. 4 decapitated doll heads out of 5.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

The second two Dr Who specials were decent.  NPH did a decent job too.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation was still funny 30 years later.
PDH!

Josquius

The blue yonder Dr who was great. Amongst the best eps ever. I don't get the blue yonder motif though.

The toy master... Ehhh. I mean stuff happened. But I'm but I'm not sure I like it. And why the dance?
Really hope they resolve the bi generation thing and don't just leave it out there as a fuck you after bringing up the cop outs on companions dying.
Really curious bits about the salt in blue yonder and then being repeated with the toy master, who himself is pretty magical. What's going on there.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

I doubt it'll ever be mentioend again.
PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on December 17, 2023, 06:24:52 AMSaw Barbie yesterday, which made it's debut on Canadian streamer Crave.
Funny in that I wouldn't have given this any thought had it not been for all the hype and positive reviews, so I went in expecting more.
It started off well, the whole 2001 parody bit. And it was fun to watch for the most part, all that subversive feminist stuff. That was all well done. I thought it slowed down by the last act, although it was saved by the very last line.

Yep, loved the 2001 parody.  I was wondering what type of movie I was in for as I walked into a movie with my wife, filled with women all wearing pink.  As a side note I wish my wife had warned me to wear pink.  Back to the movie, the  2001 parody off the top made it clear I was going to enjoy the movie and I settled in for an enjoyable laugh out loud time. 

I am not sure what it would be like watching at home.  There were so many one liners that it was one of those shows best seen in a packed theatre.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 18, 2023, 11:34:32 AM
Quote from: Josephus on December 17, 2023, 06:24:52 AMSaw Barbie yesterday, which made it's debut on Canadian streamer Crave.

I am not sure what it would be like watching at home.  There were so many one liners that it was one of those shows best seen in a packed theatre.

Obviously it's would have been different for sure. But to be honest, I rarely go to theatres anymore because I actually prefer to stay home and not have annoying people around me chatting or turning their phones on. I saw Napoleon last week in theatres, and that's because I sort of wanted the large screen/full dolby sound. I normally go once around Christmas with a friend. Thinking of Poor Things
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011