And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer.

Santa was a real jackwagon. 

Raging Rudolph. Never saw the Godfather, but this was probably a better version anyway.

PDH!

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2023, 07:05:05 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 28, 2023, 05:12:26 PMI've seen the netflix version, found it pretty enjoyable (nearly binge watched it actually). Is the anime version worth it?

We're watching the anime version.

It's low framerate and obviously anime from the time it was made (90s?). If you find that charming, it's definitely worth watching IMO. If you find that kind of thing annoying, probably less so.

Do the youngling notice this at all?

I've heard from teachers working with kids around 10-14 or so they tend to really reject traditional animation and see it as outdated and crap if it's not 3D. <_<

But then I remember when I was that age it's a dip when striving to be adults most would reject all animation entirely so... Progress?
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josquius on November 29, 2023, 02:29:21 AM
Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2023, 07:05:05 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 28, 2023, 05:12:26 PMI've seen the netflix version, found it pretty enjoyable (nearly binge watched it actually). Is the anime version worth it?

We're watching the anime version.

It's low framerate and obviously anime from the time it was made (90s?). If you find that charming, it's definitely worth watching IMO. If you find that kind of thing annoying, probably less so.

Do the youngling notice this at all?

I've heard from teachers working with kids around 10-14 or so they tend to really reject traditional animation and see it as outdated and crap if it's not 3D. <_<

But then I remember when I was that age it's a dip when striving to be adults most would reject all animation entirely so... Progress?
PDH!

HVC

For any Godzilla fans out there, Godzilla -1 is supposed to be really good.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Significant Others, S1. A mother of two teenagers disappears, putting stress on an extended family where relationships are already strained. Excellent. Recommended.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Just rewatched Glory. Still a good movie. Enjoyed it more than the last time I watched it.

Sophie Scholl

I love Glory. It's such a solid film and the Horner score is stunningly beautiful and emotional.

(proceeds to put on the score to listen to now)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

You can't go wrong with both Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman on the screen at the same time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

I am seeing a lot of nerd rage over how bad Napoleon is, and it sounds justified.

Threviel

It seems even worse, it's apparently a bad movie.

Josephus

I dunno. The only bit I hated was when Napoleon goes on the Parisian metro and tries to boost the morale of les citoyens.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on December 07, 2023, 06:39:35 AMI dunno. The only bit I hated was when Napoleon goes on the Parisian metro and tries to boost the morale of les citoyens.

Did he talk about how it was there at the storming of the shores of Gallipoli?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Threviel on December 07, 2023, 06:24:40 AMIt seems even worse, it's apparently a bad movie.

Not if you like soap operas.  :P

Josquius

Elf pets Santa's reindeer rescue - kill me now. This is the third time. Why does he like this. Why. It's absolute trash even as stuff for kids goes. Such an awful advert for elf on the shelf and some "now you can spend more money" addon pack that apparently exists.
Such a shame the boy is currently at an animation only stage and won't appreciate live action. I want Elf.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Under the Skin - This is a quite famous movie among film buffs that I never quite got around to watch. ScarJo drives a van abducting Scots to drain their lifeforce (and yes, it did remind me of a pretentious version of LifeForce :D) It's a good movie, the visuals, sound design and overall vibe are pretty mesmerizing. But - and pardon me the pun - I don't think there's that much under the skin. It's one of those movies that's cryptic for it's own sake. Also, ScarJo gets nekkid.