News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on November 28, 2023, 12:23:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2023, 12:50:09 AMSo it's been a tradition of many years that I watch a cartoon with my boys before bed.

Of course as little kids we would watch little kids cartoons - less said the better.

But they're getting older, so for the past year or more we did a Matt Groenig run: The Simpsons, Futurama, then Disenchantment.  But that came to an end recently.

I was looking around for something else to watch and found... Ren and Stimpy.

My guys think it's absolutely hilarious.  They went to bed singing "It's log! it's log, it's big, it's heavy it's wood!" tonight.

I know the show is only good for a season or two, but these first few episodes absolutely hold up 30+ years later.
Have you done the Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited run yet? Robotech has a ton of content, too, with the three series.

I haven't.

My guys are 10 and 11 (the 13 year old now would rather just surf on his phone then watch cartoons with dad), and I don't know that they're too into superheroes anymore.  I mean they're not NOT into superheroes, but I am looking for slightly more mature content.

Ren and Stimpy... I mean while it's still clearly a kids show, I encountered it back in the day when it was being shown on Muchmusic (Canada's equivalent to MTV), so it clearly had adult appeal.

There is the whole universe of anime that we could theoretically dip into, but I no nothing of anime and am just a tiny-bit prejudiced against it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

We've just started watching One Piece with the boy. We're about 65 episodes in. I'm not an anime watcher usually, but so far it's pretty entertaining.

Sheilbh

Ren and Stimpy - and others like it (Rocko's Modern Life) - were incredible growing up. I loved them and think they maybe actually had a big impact on my sense of humour.

Very pleased to hear kids still like it. And the songs especially are great.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Saltburn - A Ripley-ish psychological thriller where an aristocrat befriends a lower class scholarship student at Oxford and takes him to his family's estate to spend the summer. Sex, decadent rich people, and murder ensue. This is not a great movie (a lot of it it's simply baffling and not in a good way), but it's a magnificent trashy movie. Can't wait to hear what Sheilbh thinks of it :D

Jacob

Speaking of media that still holds up - my boy is obsessively reading Calvin & Hobbes these days.

frunk

Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2023, 02:21:20 PMSpeaking of media that still holds up - my boy is obsessively reading Calvin & Hobbes these days.

My daughter loves it to.

frunk

Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2023, 12:43:05 PMWe've just started watching One Piece with the boy. We're about 65 episodes in.

:lol:

celedhring

Quote from: frunk on November 28, 2023, 02:36:34 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2023, 12:43:05 PMWe've just started watching One Piece with the boy. We're about 65 episodes in.

Given the length of that show, they're definitely just starting  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2023, 02:01:53 PMSaltburn - A Ripley-ish psychological thriller where an aristocrat befriends a lower class scholarship student at Oxford and takes him to his family's estate to spend the summer. Sex, decadent rich people, and murder ensue. This is not a great movie (a lot of it it's simply baffling and not in a good way), but it's a magnificent trashy movie. Can't wait to hear what Sheilbh thinks of it :D

I can't wait. I hate Brideshead Revisited, but love Brideshead Revisited adaptations :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Yeah... I could never manage one piece. But who knows, when mine get older could be a way to connect.

Hunter x hunter now... That is worth watching from the start.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2023, 02:40:13 PMGiven the length of that show, they're definitely just starting  :lol:

Indeed :lol:

frunk

Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2023, 03:39:08 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2023, 02:40:13 PMGiven the length of that show, they're definitely just starting  :lol:

Indeed :lol:

I know, but it's still funny to think about.

Jacob

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Jacob on November 28, 2023, 12:43:05 PMWe've just started watching One Piece with the boy. We're about 65 episodes in. I'm not an anime watcher usually, but so far it's pretty entertaining.

I've seen the netflix version, found it pretty enjoyable (nearly binge watched it actually). Is the anime version worth it?

Jacob

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on November 28, 2023, 05:12:26 PMI've seen the netflix version, found it pretty enjoyable (nearly binge watched it actually). Is the anime version worth it?

We're watching the anime version.

It's low framerate and obviously anime from the time it was made (90s?). If you find that charming, it's definitely worth watching IMO. If you find that kind of thing annoying, probably less so.