News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Speaking of Disney now I remember something else that pissed me off about the new Dr Who.
That Marvel style pre-intro Whoniverse thing.
Those things need to die.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on November 27, 2023, 04:40:46 AMSpeaking of Disney now I remember something else that pissed me off about the new Dr Who.
That Marvel style pre-intro Whoniverse thing.
Those things need to die.

Apparently the term isn't new.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoniverse
QuoteThe earliest official usage of "Whoniverse" was in the publicitity blurb on the back of The Second Doctor Who Quiz Book by Nigel Robinson published in December 1982. In his 1983 book Doctor Who: A Celebration; Two Decades Through Time and Space, Peter Haining called his final chapter "The Whoniverse". The section assembled factual information about all the episodes to date, but also gave information about fan clubs and ancillary entertainments related to the programme. Thus, the term Whoniverse referred to everything connected with the programme behind-the-scenes. In this meaning, standing exhibitions, discussions about the filming of episodes and even the fandom itself were considered part of the "Whoniverse". The term Whoniverse is still used with this definition today, including as the name of a Doctor Who convention in Australia.

The term began to appear in mainstream press coverage, placing greater emphasis on it as a fictional universe, following the popular success of the 2005 Doctor Who revival and the establishment of its returning spin-offs, Torchwood (2006–11) and The Sarah Jane Adventures (2007–11).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yeah I think the Russell T Davies spin-offs were maybe an interesting early attempt at franchise/shared universe stuff.

And I think it was an interesting, incredibly BBC approach for a shared universe with the idea that you have Dr Who (Saturday night family viewing), Torchwood (for adults - i.e. a little more violent and with sex) and Sarah Jane Adventures (after school for kids). I imagine with the Disney money they'll be a little more ambitious in doing lots of different shows - although the BBC is possibly joining that party as everyone else has drunk the bar dry and are being corralled into cabs.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

The Whoverse thing has been around forever.

I wasn't a big fan of Torchwood.  Never saw Sarah Jane Adventures. Though I remember her character from back in the day.

PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

I take back my comment about the Dr Who anniversary special 'virtue signaling'. Apparently Davies has been a big proponent of diversity and inclusino for a long time.  So it was well meant and honest, if smug and not well written.
PDH!

Josquius

It's not the word whoniverse (as silly is it is to see it used officially) or the concept of spin offs I was talking about. It was the splash screen.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

I saw Barbie.
Yep. It's pretty good.
I wonder how it went down with what you'd think the core audience of a barbie film is. Enough in it to keep them entertained?
I would say though that the ending is a bit weak. I sort of lose it a bit.
Seemed like it was all set up for a great message about feminism and how the genders should treat each other with respect, revolution and counter revolution just perpetuating a cycle of violence and shit, etc... But... Nope.
Just... Boys are stupid and everyone can go back to life as normal except this one Barbie who gets to be a real woman via a confusing montage and... Stuff.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Started watching Sweet Tooth on Netflix.  Binged the first season, which was great.  Just starting on the second season. 

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josquius on November 27, 2023, 05:20:18 PMI saw Barbie.
Yep. It's pretty good.
I wonder how it went down with what you'd think the core audience of a barbie film is. Enough in it to keep them entertained?
I would say though that the ending is a bit weak. I sort of lose it a bit.
Seemed like it was all set up for a great message about feminism and how the genders should treat each other with respect, revolution and counter revolution just perpetuating a cycle of violence and shit, etc... But... Nope.
Just... Boys are stupid and everyone can go back to life as normal except this one Barbie who gets to be a real woman via a confusing montage and... Stuff.
Yeah. The message was, "boys are bad girls are good."

On the plus side it certainly triggered the culture warriors.
PDH!

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on November 27, 2023, 04:01:02 AMSwedish state television is airing a major documentary series on Swedish history: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29553855/ It's available here, though AFAIK there's no English subtitles: https://www.svtplay.se/historien-om-sverige It's impossible to make a series on the subject today without facing a whinefest from various quarters, but so far (I've seen three episodes) I haven't gone apoplectic. There's always nitpick opportunities, and when you have one hour to cover for instance the entire Viking Age there's always gonna be alternative priorities that would have made at least as much sense, but overall the show seems evidence-based.

Who do they blame for losing the Great Northern War?

viper37

Started a rewatch of the Last Kingdom. I really did miss many episodes of season 1,2 and 3.  Many parts of these seasons I did not remember.

Well, mistake correct then.

Poor Haesten, ever the unlucky one.  Just when he thought he would get into a meekly defended convent and get Athelfled for himself, he stumbles upon Uthred and his men.
Dagefin: It's Uthred lord!  Uthred Ragnarsson!  I saw him!
Haesten: I know!
D: Why isn't he in the North, Lord?
H: Because he's here idiot!
:D

Later, when he expects Aethelwold's man to attack the Saxons from the rear and the Centish lord attacks them instead: "This is your man?  He's attacking us!  This is your man!".  Damn.  He never catches a break.  All his plans fails, even when he tries himself at peace, he fails and nearly gets killed.

And Uthred explaining baptism to Ubba:
Ubba: What is this baptism?
Uthred: They submerge you under water, lord.
Ubba: They want to wash me?

Aethelwold, always trying to make friends and failing at every turn by double-crossing everyone. -_- 

So many great characters and great acting in this show.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

So it's been a tradition of many years that I watch a cartoon with my boys before bed.

Of course as little kids we would watch little kids cartoons - less said the better.

But they're getting older, so for the past year or more we did a Matt Groenig run: The Simpsons, Futurama, then Disenchantment.  But that came to an end recently.

I was looking around for something else to watch and found... Ren and Stimpy.

My guys think it's absolutely hilarious.  They went to bed singing "It's log! it's log, it's big, it's heavy it's wood!" tonight.

I know the show is only good for a season or two, but these first few episodes absolutely hold up 30+ years later.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 27, 2023, 08:09:20 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 27, 2023, 04:01:02 AMSwedish state television is airing a major documentary series on Swedish history: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt29553855/ It's available here, though AFAIK there's no English subtitles: https://www.svtplay.se/historien-om-sverige It's impossible to make a series on the subject today without facing a whinefest from various quarters, but so far (I've seen three episodes) I haven't gone apoplectic. There's always nitpick opportunities, and when you have one hour to cover for instance the entire Viking Age there's always gonna be alternative priorities that would have made at least as much sense, but overall the show seems evidence-based.

Who do they blame for losing the Great Northern War?

We shall see. They've only gotten to the Middle Ages so far.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2023, 12:50:09 AMSo it's been a tradition of many years that I watch a cartoon with my boys before bed.

Of course as little kids we would watch little kids cartoons - less said the better.

But they're getting older, so for the past year or more we did a Matt Groenig run: The Simpsons, Futurama, then Disenchantment.  But that came to an end recently.

My guys think it's absolutely hilarious.  They went to bed singing "It's log! it's log, it's big, it's heavy it's wood!" tonight.

I know the show is only good for a season or two, but these first few episodes absolutely hold up 30+ years later.

Ren & Stimpy is great. Some scary stuff though... "These hands...!"
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2023, 12:50:09 AMSo it's been a tradition of many years that I watch a cartoon with my boys before bed.

Have you done the Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited run yet? Robotech has a ton of content, too, with the three series.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."