News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 22, 2023, 12:01:43 AMI can't even remember what the word that's being replaced is....

I had to look it up.

Short for "cuckold".

Man, I'm glad that is no longer a go-to insult around here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Jacob on November 22, 2023, 12:01:43 AMI can't even remember what the word that's being replaced is....

Rhymes with buck
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I think it rhymed with "luck" but started with a "c." Wasn't Hortlund using it a lot?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2023, 01:22:28 AMI think it rhymed with "luck" but started with a "c." Wasn't Hortlund using it a lot?

Does the auto change really go back that far? The other auto change is like 11 years old, so I guess it tracks.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on November 22, 2023, 01:26:30 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2023, 01:22:28 AMI think it rhymed with "luck" but started with a "c." Wasn't Hortlund using it a lot?

Does the auto change really go back that far? The other auto change is like 11 years old, so I guess it tracks.

Or it might have been Mart. Some lawyer person, at any rate. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

kind and sensitive person

Huh.
Didn't know we had that on here.

kind and sensitive person  (testing all caps)

Any other words?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2023, 01:54:30 AM
Quote from: HVC on November 22, 2023, 01:26:30 AM

Or it might have been Mart. Some lawyer person, at any rate. :P

My recall is that Marti had become enamored with that term.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

It was Mart.  It had messed up my sig for a while <_<

Edit: that is Switzerland's contribution to world culture became "The kind and sensitive personoo clock".
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on November 21, 2023, 01:43:48 PMStill means over compensating short guy here in Ontario, as far as I can tell.

If it means anything Webster states Napoleon Complex as:

" a domineering or aggressive attitude perceived as a form of overcompensation for being physically small or short"

Thanks, I concede the point

Admiral Yi

New season of the The Crown on Netflix.

Tonitrus

Clips from John Cleese's GBN show have started cluttering my YT feed.  The set is...utterly bizarre.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 21, 2023, 05:21:03 AMThe difference between Caesar and Napoleon is that one is judged by sources written largely by himself, the other isn't.
To an extent - I think it's worth remembering that Napoleon (very much inspired by Caesar) wrote the most extraordinary descriptions of his own battles and set a system up to make sure his were the first to reach first the Directory and later Paris for publication. I think he's the first military leader to set up that system of bulletins home, initially perhaps because he'd seen how important it was for a military leader to shape the narrative in Paris and later as, perhaps, the first military leader to see the potential of a nation under arms.

Not just his bulletins either but also, for example, his proclamation to the army before the Italian campaign. He travelled with a printing press to issue texts to his troops, to the countries he was invading (including an Arabic printing press for Egypt) and, crucially, for a domestic audience.

I could be wrong, but I think these even went through a similar reception as Caesar's writings - first helped shape popular perceptions, then treated cautiously  by historians as obvious propaganda, before moving to actually maybe reflecting more truth than anticipated.

Separately, new Dr Who is out :hmm: I had no idea - thought they'd release it at Christmas.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

New Dr who. David tenant is back.
That was... Not good.
And given the blunt diversity stuff in there you just know the nuts will be blaming that.
But no. It managed to be pretty groan worthy on its own merits.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Watched dr. Who religiously From the Eccleston reboot to halfway through capaldi (although smith wasn't overly great either). Still caught a few Whittaker episodes, and uhm, yeah.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Just looked it up, new doctor going to be played by a gay black actor? That's gonna go over well with a certain demographic :D