News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Back in my 20s I went to watch Fantasia after ingesting some shrooms. As one did when one's in their 20s.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

I watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks every moment I could as a kid, think it was one of the first VHS tapes I rented.

Watching it again now can be a bit of a chore, but it is still mega good.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on January 15, 2024, 10:14:55 PMThe best part in the Napoleon comedy was when Scott has the French dragoons just haplessly circling the British square until they get shot down.  Scott seems to think that Napoleonic cavalry attacked infantry like the Plains Indians attacked the wagon train in the old TV shows (only without actually trying to hurt the guys in the square).

That's exactly what I thought when I saw that - Ridley Scott must have watched a ton of westerns.  I half expected to see Jimmy Stewart in a red coat firing a Winchester.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Napoleon is one of those movies that while I didn't hate watching it, I still don't know what was the point. And I hope that it's not "Napoleon did everything he did because he was sexually obsessed with Josephine".

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 18, 2024, 10:25:31 AMNapoleon is one of those movies that while I didn't hate watching it, I still don't know what was the point. And I hope that it's not "Napoleon did everything he did because he was sexually obsessed with Josephine".

The movie implying that he returned from Egypt and escaped Elba because of Josephine was a little odd.

And the movie never really committed to giving another reason for why Napoleon did what he did. There was some diplomatic stuff, but it was very slight and never really seemed to go anywhere. Maybe in some directors cut they do more of that, but while it wasn't a bad movie I don't really feel the need to watch a 5 hour version or whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Napoleon was a movie that didn't know what it was or what it was focusing on.  It wasn't really a character study of Napoleon, since so much of it was dramatized and fictionalized (and flanderized).  It wasn't a war movie, lavishing detail on the great battles of Napoleon, or even the ebbs and flows of politics.  It doesn't even seriously look at the relationship between Napoleon and Josephine, as the two of them are caricatures.  I wanted to like the movie, and I did enjoy some of the visuals, the pomp and circumstance of the whole thing.  But it just seemed to lack any kind of point or purpose that connected up the narrative.  Compared to Scott's other historical epics like Gladiator or Kingdom of Heaven, rather than focusing on a hero, his story, his accomplishments and his goals/ethos, building a myth, instead it was more interested in tearing the myth of that character down. 

I didn't hate watching it, but I doubt I'll rewatch it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on January 18, 2024, 11:08:09 PMNapoleon was a movie that didn't know what it was or what it was focusing on.  It wasn't really a character study of Napoleon, since so much of it was dramatized and fictionalized (and flanderized).  It wasn't a war movie, lavishing detail on the great battles of Napoleon, or even the ebbs and flows of politics.  It doesn't even seriously look at the relationship between Napoleon and Josephine, as the two of them are caricatures.  I wanted to like the movie, and I did enjoy some of the visuals, the pomp and circumstance of the whole thing.  But it just seemed to lack any kind of point or purpose that connected up the narrative.  Compared to Scott's other historical epics like Gladiator or Kingdom of Heaven, rather than focusing on a hero, his story, his accomplishments and his goals/ethos, building a myth, instead it was more interested in tearing the myth of that character down. 

I didn't hate watching it, but I doubt I'll rewatch it.

Who the hell are you? :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on January 18, 2024, 11:08:09 PMNapoleon was a movie that didn't know what it was or what it was focusing on.

Yeah. Like it started with Marie Antoinette being executed and had Napoleon there in person. Why? What was the point of that? Was the idea that witnessing that influenced Napoleon to want to be authoritarian or something? Why was the execution moved to before Napoleon was at Toulon, when Napoleon was in the south with the army at the time?

Just some very specific artistic choices made that were not historical for no clear reason. And That is just the beginning, so many scenes have this same kind of puzzling decision making.

It looked kind of cool though, despite Napoleon looking 50 instead of 23 or whatever he was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Saw the first ep of the reboot of gladiators. Loved that show as a kid. Amusing family fun.

Interestingly one of the old presenters, ulrika Johnson, was in the press moaning about how woke the reboot is ergo rubbish . And well, it is super diverse yes. And a contestant on the first episode was openly gay. They're giving the weights of gladiators in stones though so... Not totally in the 21st century.

Funnily later in that interview this ex host whinged about how the remake  has two male hosts and no women. Woke is only bad when someone else benefits you see.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

On reality TV - second season of the Traitors as good as the first.

And yet again there's a strong middle aged woman with a regional accent for The Gays to rally behind :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Suzhou River (2000)

The second film by Lou Ye, this is sort of a quirky Indie film with a slow pace and a lot of scenes of characters staring off into space.  It reminded me of Wong Kar-Wai, but stylistically different and Ye's primary theme is obsession rather than incomplete relationships.  The story seems mundane (motorbike courier gets mixed up with the mob and kidnaps a girl which he had a crush on; after the ransom is paid she runs off and jumps off a bridge, her body is never found, courier goes to jail and sees a girl who looks exactly like the one who jumped off the bridge; are they actually the same person, or do they all look alike?) but the censors didn't think so.  The film was banned and Ye was banned from making films for two years.

Spring Fever (2009)

Made after Ye was coming off yet another ban, this film seems like a big FU to the censors.  Woman suspects here husband is having an affair and she hires an out of work photographer to follow them around.  It turns out the man is having an utterly torrid affair with another man.  The woman is devastated, the photographer tries to remain objective, but how long can he hold out before being driven into the exhilarating madness of the affair? and will his girlfriend understand?  The film wasn't banned, so maybe the Chinese censors are more open to homosexuality and drag than I would have thought.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

In S4 of Cheers, Nancy Cartwright (now mostly known as the voice of Bart Simpson) shows up as girlfriend of psycho killer Andy-Andy. Later in the season there's a brief appearance by a character called Bert Simpson ...

Also, the episode she appears in is called "Diane's Nightmare." A few episodes earlier we met Woody's hometown sweetheart Beth, played by Amanda Wyss who a year earlier appeared in - A Nightmare on Elm Street (you may recall her getting slashed while stuck to the ceiling of her bedroom).

COINCIDENCE?

:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

I can't remember if I posted about this series before.

Warrior.  Coming from an 8 page Bruce Lee concept he wrote that became Kung Fu with David Carridine because the studio execs didn't think a tv show with an Asian lead could work.

His daughter has partnered with Justin Lin (Fast and Furious franchise) to produce the series.  The lead actor really channels Bruce Lee.

This is a clip of season 2.  Probably the best fight of the series, but there's a ton of fights in this series and a lot of dark humour.

It is set in San Francisco during the Thong Wars, when the Chinese gangs were going at each others and there were lots of racism due to Chinese workers being employed at low wages compared to Irish and other white workers.  The historical background make it quite interesting to watch, on top of the fight scenes.

The series was on HBO Max, soon to be on Netflix for the 3 seasons so far.  HBO has cancelled the series, there is hope that it will do well on Netflix and that a 4th season will be announced.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

I struggle with kung fu movies these days. CGI has killed even low CGI action for me.
Though that does sound like something that would have teenage me excited so shall hunt it out
██████
██████
██████