News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on January 12, 2012, 12:21:42 PM
My modem is both a modem and a router which has multiple ethernet ports so i can still hook up my desktop and still have wifi (which i do). not sure what type of router/modem you have. Your sons propbably do though. enlist their help :D

I have a separate modem and router - it looks like there is just one port coming out of the router which runs to the router.  Some tech came it in to set it up when I started getting my TV service from my internet provider.  I tried getting the boys on it but while they understand how to do stuff on the computer they dont know much about the hardware that makes it all go.

My next stop is to contact my ISP, the router is their own generic brand, and see if they have any suggestions.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2012, 12:25:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2012, 12:19:24 PM
edit: guys, you are missing the point.  I dont want to cut everyone else off from the router so unhooking it is really out of the question.

You can't disconnect them for 10 minutes while you try to figure out what is going on?

Does your house operate on some kind of six nines service guarantee?

:rolleyes:

If the fix is to run the game without the router that is no fix at all.

Plus I dont really want to mess with all the cables that are back there.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2012, 12:14:09 PM
Well your tv shouldn't make any difference, unless you're getting your tv signal via wi-fi (and I've never heard of that).

That is exactly what I have.  I dont have cable TV, I have DSL TV.

edit: guys, you are missing the point.  I dont want to cut everyone else off from the router so unhooking it is really out of the question.

No one said you had to do it permanently.  You're just trying to narrow down some variables.

If you have Telus TV, I'm sure you still have a cable running from the wall to your TV.  I've never heard of getting your tv signal over wi-fi - it would be much too slow.  I get all my services from one company too - Shaw - and I have a co-axial cable running from the wall to my cable box.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2012, 12:28:49 PM

You can't disconnect them for 10 minutes while you try to figure out what is going on?

:frusty:

No one is saying it is a fix.  We are saying maybe it will point you in the direction of how to fix it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2012, 12:28:49 PM

Not looking for a fix, looking to diagnose the problem. This is how you diagnose potential hardware problems, you disconnect shit until stuff starts working!

And don't be intimidated by all those wires. It isn't nearly as bad as it looks.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2012, 12:29:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2012, 12:14:09 PM
Well your tv shouldn't make any difference, unless you're getting your tv signal via wi-fi (and I've never heard of that).

That is exactly what I have.  I dont have cable TV, I have DSL TV.

No one said you had to do it permanently.  You're just trying to narrow down some variables.

If you have Telus TV, I'm sure you still have a cable running from the wall to your TV.  I've never heard of getting your tv signal over wi-fi - it would be much too slow.  I get all my services from one company too - Shaw - and I have a co-axial cable running from the wall to my cable box.

Um, BB you have a cable because shaw is a cable based service.

When I powered down my router to see if that would reset things the TV does not work so I think you are wrong about me not getting TV over the internet...

Berkut

ZOMG, you powered down your router!

WHAT DID THE KIDS DO FOR INTERNET WHILE YOU WERE DOING THAT???

Whatever you have, you have a cable coming from some wall into your modem. You have another cable (this one is ethernet) going from your modem to your router, assuming your router and modem are separate.

Your router will have some number between 0 and 6 ethernet plugs in the back. These are for connecting PCs via ethernet (as opposed to wifi). Is your PC hooked up to the router with an ethernet cable, or does it just use wifi?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Does the routeur provide the signal for the TV or is it the Telus Modem?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2012, 12:36:48 PM

Whatever you have, you have a cable coming from some wall into your modem. You have another cable (this one is ethernet) going from your modem to your router, assuming your router and modem are separate.

Your router will have some number between 0 and 6 ethernet plugs in the back. These are for connecting PCs via ethernet (as opposed to wifi). Is your PC hooked up to the router with an ethernet cable, or does it just use wifi?

Stop being a Tech support Jack ass. CC's our friend & we give them shit AFTERWARDS not while fixing it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2012, 12:36:48 PM

You can fuck right off.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 12, 2012, 12:38:27 PM

I am not sure about that GF.  I am not sure if the modem is connected directly to the TVs and the router or just the router.  I will check that when I get home.

HVC

CC when you get home tonight check to see if your router has multiple ethernet ports (most do). If you have a free one you can use that without fear of disrupting your current connections. if you have no free one unplug one and use that. worst comes to worst only one tv will be down :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2012, 12:53:22 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 12, 2012, 12:38:27 PM

I am not sure about that GF.  I am not sure if the modem is connected directly to the TVs and the router or just the router.  I will check that when I get home.

Alright.

Sounds to me like you have a Set Top Box connected to your TV connected over Wifi to the Internet for IPTV.

What I'm wondering is : Is the Telus routeur necessary for TelusTV to work or would any Routeur would do.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on January 12, 2012, 12:56:32 PM
CC when you get home tonight check to see if your router has multiple ethernet ports (most do). If you have a free one you can use that without fear of disrupting your current connections. if you have no free one unplug one and use that. worst comes to worst only one tv will be down :lol:

Ah, I hadnt thought of trying to connect directly to my router.  Many thanks.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 12, 2012, 01:03:58 PM
What I'm wondering is : Is the Telus routeur necessary for TelusTV to work or would any Routeur would do.

That I dont know.  They say its a special high speed thingie so maybe its customized for the Telus service?