News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on December 25, 2011, 05:13:54 PM
Hmmm, my need for many alts has illuminated a major downside to the game.

Lulz

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on December 25, 2011, 05:13:54 PM
Hmmm, my need for many alts has illuminated a major downside to the game.

The content so far is ridiculously linear. From 1-10 you do Hutta or Korriban, from 10-17ish EVERYONE does Drumond Kaas.

Uggh. That is a lot of content to repeat...

Yes, the main pain-point is the levels 11-21 bottlenecks (Coruscant and the Sith capital). Probably kills the chance of me going through all main classes.

Faeelin

What's the Republic tank?

(No Timmy, I don't mean an ATET). I'm assuming a jedi guardian; I have a sith sorcerer as my main character, but  dark jedi would be an amusing counterpoint.

Berkut

There are several tanks on each side.

Republic is, IIRC, Jedi Guardian, the trooper, and one of the Smugglers ACs?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

You are fail Berkie

Guardian, one of trooper advance classes and the Jedi ...shadow(?) advance class.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Stonewall

Quote from: szmik on December 24, 2011, 03:16:45 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on December 24, 2011, 01:26:46 PM
I've been loving the game so far.  Bioware seems to have taken much of the best of WoW and LOTRO and combined them.  The game gets even better once they implement a guild bank and macros.  I hope they do not enable add-ons or if they do, they are of limited functionality.

how soon it gets repetitive?

Depends on how much time you spend playing alts.  Right now, as has been previously mentioned, there are limited places for leveling in the early game.   I had decided to take all my toons through the DK quests before I finalized a main character.  Doing DK for the 6th time has finally gotten to me. :D  That said, I'm loving the dps mercenary and its between him and DPS sorcerer to decide who goes to Balmorra first.

The missions are as one would expect.  Kill x number of this.  Find x number of that.  Destroy x number of y item.  In that sense, its incredibly repetitive.  Unlike WoW, I feel like there's a point to why I'm doing my missions.  Especially the class missions.  All the class stories so far have been excellent. 
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

Syt

I rolled a bounty hunter yesterday. Plus: the skills are pretty fun and the char has some pretty good dialogue lines. Minus: The starting place (Nal Hutta) is a serious shithole, and the quests didn't pull me in like the meddling at the Sith Academy on Korriban.

The first sidekick you get is a Mako, voiced by Lacey Chabert:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

My Sith Juggernaut is looking like he may get retired. He isn't terrible or anything, but compared to the other classes I've dabbled in, he is very weak. He is pretty much dead if he ever takes on a couple even levels at a time without his companion. With the companion, he is fine, as long as I remember to heal after every fight or two.

I think part of the problem is that the companion you get makes no sense with a tank class. Vette is a ranged tank/dps. That makes no real sense paired up with another tank. And the 2nd companion is a droid who sits on your ship.

It doesn't help that I chose Artificer for his crafting skill, and so far I have not come across a single item that he can make that is even slightly useful, except a shield. All those mods and hilts? Junk compared to what you get as quest rewards or commendations. And its not like you need very many in any case.

My Sith Sorcere, on the other hand, is ridiculous. She gets a true tank companion, and just wrecks everything. She can dps and heal easily, and never even gets her hands dirty. Definitely of the four classes I've played this is the most powerful at the moment.

My sniper is not quite as powerful, but pretty close. Much more situational though, and the cover mechanics are a cool idea in theory, but a pain in the ass in practice. Sniper companion would be perfect for my Jugg though!

Have a low level bounty hunter as well - so far seems very capable, nice mix of different things in his bag of tricks. Not as dominating as the Sorcerer or the Sniper, but has a nicely rounded skill set, it seems.

0 rows returned

Syt

Berk, the droid has healing skills. You get items for him as quest rewards, too, so you can upgrade him (and you can summon him via the "N" menu) - he can't use weapons but seems a bit eager to go into fistfights, though - you probably need to tweak his equipped skills. :P I didn't have a problem with Vette as companion, but I'm speccing full defense.

On Balmorra you get a new companion who can heal and deal some damage. He's considerably reduced my downtimes between fights.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Hmm, didn't realize that, will have to give him a try.

And yeah, when Vette is there, I don't have any trouble - she puts out enough damage that we can handle all the content fine. I am speccing full defense as well.

I really like the companions - adds a lot more complexity to the game. However, I am not sure they've really designed them well, in that you can't tell how the solo content is intended to be balanced. And given that the synergy between roles is so critical to capability, that balance becomes that much more susceptible to being out of whack when comparing Jugg+Vette to Sorc+Khel, for example. Where one pair has excellent synergy, and the other not so great (even if it still works out ok).

0 rows returned

Syt

Yeah, I agree. The way I see Vette is as dps while yo tank the enemy. I think you can assign her some AOE effects as well (I haven't tinkered with companion skills very much yet).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Well, maintenance is now two hours longer than scheduled, and there's no ETA when the servers are coming up.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Ever since the maintenance and the patch I get a "Server not Responding" message from the login launcher.  "Customer Service" has not responded at all.  I can ping the swtor site successfully, I ran the "fixlauncher" app, tried turning off my firewall but still now joy.

Syt

As useful as Quinn is as a companion, he is quite boring and anemic. He has all the charms of an accountant paired with the humour of a bureaucrat. I'm guessing this is what Admiral Piett was like as a lieutenant.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Siege should love this game. A bonus mission chain on Tatooine:
1. Kill 20 Sand People
2. Kill 40 Sand People
3. Poison their water supply
5. Kill their leader
—Stephen Jay Gould