Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 01:13:15 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 01:06:11 PMOnly description I've seen is "nordic looking". We'll see what gives.

So if he turns out to be a white Norwegian of long term Norwegian stock, what are the likely motivations?

Some personal feud with someone on the island? Raving lunatic acting out? Convert to Islam, so still an Islamist terrorist plot? Right-wing terrorist of some sort? Some kind of criminal feud?

Any other theories?

There is probably more then one perpetrator.  It would be difficult to plant the bomb and set it off at the same time you are some island shooting kids.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Around 30 killed at the camp. Though hopefully this is vastly exaggerated.

Slargos

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 01:13:15 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 01:06:11 PMOnly description I've seen is "nordic looking". We'll see what gives.

So if he turns out to be a white Norwegian of long term Norwegian stock, what are the likely motivations?

Some personal feud with someone on the island? Raving lunatic acting out? Convert to Islam, so still an Islamist terrorist plot? Right-wing terrorist of some sort? Some kind of criminal feud?

Any other theories?

I'm feeling far too sick to speculate right now.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

Odd, Muslim terrorists don't normally attack political parties.  Usually it's a more general attack on a populace.  This sounds like an attack on the Labor party.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 01:16:47 PMThere is probably more then one perpetrator.  It would be difficult to plant the bomb and set it off at the same time you are some island shooting kids.

I was speaking only of the shooting.

Is there any evidence right now that the two incidents are linked, other than they happend around the same time?

Jacob

Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 01:17:11 PM

I hope so.

Liep

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 01:20:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 01:16:47 PMThere is probably more then one perpetrator.  It would be difficult to plant the bomb and set it off at the same time you are some island shooting kids.

I was speaking only of the shooting.

Is there any evidence right now that the two incidents are linked, other than they happend around the same time?
The shooter used the bombings as excuse to get into the camp to do a security check.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 01:17:55 PMI'm feeling far too sick to speculate right now.

Fair enough. I guess we'll likely find out soon enough.

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on July 22, 2011, 01:22:23 PMThe shooter used the bombings as excuse to get into the camp to do a security check.

Fuck. That's pretty sick.

JonasSalk

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/world/europe/23oslo.html?_r=2&hp

A terror group, Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami, or the Helpers of the Global Jihad, issued a statement claiming responsibility for the attack, according to Will McCants, a terrorism analyst at C.N.A., a research institute that studies terrorism. The message said the attack was a response to Norwegian forces' presence in Afghanistan and to unspecified insults to the Prophet Muhammad. "We have warned since the Stockholm raid of more operations," the group said, according to Mr. McCants' translation, apparently referred to a bombing in Sweden in December 2010. "What you see is only the beginning, and there is more to come." The claim could not be confirmed.
Yuman

Norgy

MadImmortalMan

So, is the thing on the island still going on?

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 01:13:37 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2011, 12:49:10 PM

That still seems pretty bizarre.

It's pretty common in Europe I think, and has been for a long time.  I think most political parties have "Youth wings".  The Hitlerjugend was only the most famous (communists had Pioneers).  In the US we have Young Democrats and College Republicans and the like, but that's still aimed at young adults.  I think this is more like a combination Boy Scouts and Summer camp (both religious and secular).

I don't know about Norway, but in Poland the "youth wings" are really for young adults too (usually college students and people until 30). I don't think Norway has "leftist boy scouts" but could be wrong.

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 01:17:11 PM

Oh fuck.  :(