Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Quote from: HVC on July 22, 2011, 02:08:43 PM
CNN still hasn't mentioned a tall white dude

The Beeb has.
And some seem to lean more towards homegrown terrorism.

It would be feasible to leave a car (especially when you're dressed in police uniform) in the area in question. It would also be feasible to use a timer. Yes, the car could be towed, but most likely not. There still would be time to make it to Utøya.

Just a theory, of course. And Slargos will say it's all whitewashing.

citizen k

just because the suspect is a tall blonde doesn't mean he's unconnected to Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on July 22, 2011, 02:21:32 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 22, 2011, 02:08:43 PM
CNN still hasn't mentioned a tall white dude

The Beeb has.
And some seem to lean more towards homegrown terrorism.

It would be feasible to leave a car (especially when you're dressed in police uniform) in the area in question. It would also be feasible to use a timer. Yes, the car could be towed, but most likely not. There still would be time to make it to Utøya.

Just a theory, of course. And Slargos will say it's all whitewashing.

Please.  :rolleyes:

Slargos

mongers

Quote from: citizen k on July 22, 2011, 02:21:38 PM
just because the suspect is a tall blonde doesn't mean he's unconnected to Islamists.

Indeed, I believe people convert to islam.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Heck converts are usually the most fanatical.

But really we will not know for sure unless they capture somebody.  If it was some sort of Islamic terrorism or neo-Nazi nutter they will eagerly announce the fact when given their chance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Slargos

Pat

Would an islamist allow himself to be captured alive? And why attack the leftist youth?

Ideologue

Quote from: JonasSalk on July 22, 2011, 01:35:46 PM
That looks exaggerated. I'm only seeing 4 dead at the camp.

From the article I posted, also:

QuoteThe explosions, which ripped through the cluster of modern office buildings around the Einar Gerhardsens plaza, occurred at a time when many Norwegians were on vacation and many more had left their offices early for the weekend.

Doesn't look like the attacks were designed to kill as many people as possible in a random fashion.

I sometimes think Islamists are just bad at planning.  Maybe I'm misremembering, but I recall something about how the September 11th hijackers could've killed tens of thousands more if they'd just taken slightly later flights.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Pat on July 22, 2011, 02:31:03 PM
Would an islamist allow himself to be captured alive?

Everytime they have tried to attack the US since 2001 they have.  You cannot give the public your message without your day in court and all that.

Why attack leftist youth?  I figured it was a statement to the current government of Norway.  Are Islamists big fans of Social Democracy?

But hey it may not be a Muslim thing at all.  Just some Norwegian who finds mainstream and boring politicall parties worthy of murderous rage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Pat on July 22, 2011, 02:31:03 PM
Would an islamist allow himself to be captured alive? And why attack the leftist youth?

It's happened.  Not all terrorist attacks are deliberate suicide missions.  Or he could have run out of ammo and forgotten to save a round for himself, or been wounded and unable to resist capture.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on July 22, 2011, 02:29:12 PM
Heck converts are usually the most fanatical.

But really we will not know for sure unless they capture somebody.  If it was some sort of Islamic terrorism or neo-Nazi nutter they will eagerly announce the fact when given their chance.

You should watch Chris Morris' 'Four Lions', the best sort of satire:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1341167

QuoteFour Lions tells the story of a group of British jihadists who push their abstract dreams of glory to the breaking point. As the wheels fly off, and their competing ideologies clash, what emerges is an emotionally engaging (and entirely plausible) farce. In a storm of razor-sharp verbal jousting and large-scale set pieces, Four Lions is a comic tour de force; it shows that-while terrorism is about ideology-it can also be about idiots.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

citizen k

Admiral Yi

Maybe the Aluminum people plant a car bomb, then a Neo Nazi takes advantage of the confusion to mow down lefties?

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 22, 2011, 02:06:03 PM
Too bad nobody else on the island was armed.

Yeah, then the assailant might end up with two guns.

That doesn't make any sense.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)