Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 01:20:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 01:16:47 PMThere is probably more then one perpetrator.  It would be difficult to plant the bomb and set it off at the same time you are some island shooting kids.

I was speaking only of the shooting.

Is there any evidence right now that the two incidents are linked, other than they happend around the same time?

Is the Labour party perceived as soft on Muslim immigration? Could it be some right wing nutjob enflamed to "revenge" by the bombings?

JonasSalk

That looks exaggerated. I'm only seeing 4 dead at the camp.

From the article I posted, also:

QuoteThe explosions, which ripped through the cluster of modern office buildings around the Einar Gerhardsens plaza, occurred at a time when many Norwegians were on vacation and many more had left their offices early for the weekend.

Doesn't look like the attacks were designed to kill as many people as possible in a random fashion.
Yuman

Pat

According to NRK.no reporter on scene Utøya camp shooter "tall, blonde and with Nordic appearance"

Jacob

Quote from: Pat on July 22, 2011, 01:38:15 PM
According to NRK.no reporter on scene Utøya camp shooter "tall, blonde and with Nordic appearance"

Was he captured alive?

Pat

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/norge/1.7723132

"Vitner som har klart å rømme fra øya, sier til NRKs reportere på stedet at gjerningsmannen hadde norsk utseende. Han skal være mellom 185 til 190 cm høy og ha blondt hår."

That's all that it says.

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on July 22, 2011, 01:34:22 PM

Is the Labour party perceived as soft on Muslim immigration? Could it be some right wing nutjob enflamed to "revenge" by the bombings?

Labour has been the architect of what is seen as a wave of immigrants. While there's been a full stop on free immigration from outside of Europe and North America since 1976, Norway has had a soft asylum and refugee policy, allowing thousands to enter still and there's also Slargos' pet culprit, the family reunions.

The past two-three years, Labour has been hardline on immigration, mostly to stop bleeding low-income, low-education voters to the Progress Party.

Since the police still seem to maintain there's a "connection" between the two incidents/acts of terrorism, my guess is as good as yours as to the motives of the shooter.
Witness accounts say 25-30 killed, shotgun, automatic rifle and pistol shots were fired by a tall blond man in police uniform.
Helicopter tv shots show bodies slumped in the water around the island.

JonasSalk

Quote from: Norgy on July 22, 2011, 01:42:18 PMWhile there's been a full stop on free immigration from outside of Europe and North America since 1976,

Any particular reason why they left Canada and America (and possibly Mexico, geographically) in the free immigration pool?
Yuman

Norgy

Quote from: JonasSalk on July 22, 2011, 01:44:29 PM

Any particular reason why they left Canada and America (and possibly Mexico, geographically) in the free immigration pool?

I imagine technical expertise for the oil industry and multinational corporations' tendency to be predominantly North American.

Razgovory

Might just be some lunatic that held a grudge against someone for some unfathomable reason.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Looks like about a half kilometer swim to the shore. And the island isn't in Oslofjord. It's in Tyrifjord.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Pat

My bet is on some right-wing nutjob that hates politicians and the media.

edit: 1 person arrested alive

Razgovory

Quote from: Pat on July 22, 2011, 01:59:38 PM
My bet is on some right-wing nutjob that hates politicians and the media.

edit: 1 person arrested alive

If that's true it's going to disappoint a lot of people who were hoping add it to the list of crimes committed by Muslims.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

Too bad nobody else on the island was armed.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

CNN still hasn't mentioned a tall white dude
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 22, 2011, 02:06:03 PM
Too bad nobody else on the island was armed.

Yeah, then the assailant might end up with two guns.