Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2011, 12:49:10 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 12:22:46 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 22, 2011, 12:17:49 PM
A summer camp run by a political party? Was this Putin's idea?

It's pretty common in Europe. About as common as, say, summer camps run by churches are in the US.

That still seems pretty bizarre.

You need to understand that the grooming of politicians in Scandinavia begins at a very early age. You don't become Social Democratic PM without having climbed the party ladder.

Slargos

Speculations about the effect on the elections begins after 4 hours. Classy?  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on July 22, 2011, 11:43:04 AM
By all means do keep allowing Muslim vermin within our borders.

I wish the filth would pull something really big - so we can finally get rid of them all. <_<

G.

A tall blond guy dressed like a police officer = a Muslim vermin? Wow, they are really successful with recruiting in Norway, apparently.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 12:59:08 PM
Speculations about the effect on the elections begins after 4 hours. Classy?  :hmm:

I hate that reflex.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Norgy

It used to be a way to recruit back in the 1950s and 1960s when most people couldn't afford to go on holidays in summer. You had the youth camps, some organised by political parties, some by religious organisations, some by teetotallers etc etc.

Today, the youth camp is mostly a workshop and breeding seminar where tomorrow's leaders are introduced to fucking in the bushes.

Norgy

Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 12:59:08 PM

No. Not exactly. But there will be an effect.
Labour and the Progress Party have both had a fairly bad summer. They won't after this.

citizen k

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 12:22:46 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 22, 2011, 12:17:49 PM
A summer camp run by a political party? Was this Putin's idea?

It's pretty common in Europe. About as common as, say, summer camps run by churches are in the US.

In essence they've replaced any religious influence with political ones.

Grallon

Quote from: Martinus on July 22, 2011, 12:59:42 PM

A tall blond guy dressed like a police officer = a Muslim vermin? Wow, they are really successful with recruiting in Norway, apparently.

They're all guilty of something - on principle.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on July 22, 2011, 12:59:42 PMA tall blond guy dressed like a police officer = a Muslim vermin? Wow, they are really successful with recruiting in Norway, apparently.

There's evidence that the shooter at the youth camp was a tall blond guy?

Slargos

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 01:04:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 22, 2011, 12:59:42 PMA tall blond guy dressed like a police officer = a Muslim vermin? Wow, they are really successful with recruiting in Norway, apparently.

Only description I've seen is "nordic looking". We'll see what gives.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 01:04:42 PM

Well, just saw it on the news.

Martinus

Incidentally, the starving Somalis really have shitty luck. First Murdoch-gate, now this. They will all die out before this blows over and someone pays attention.

Norgy

Those who know something about explosives are quite certain it was a car bomb outside here. 400-500 kgs of explosives. Mostly a whole shitload of shattered glass and debris. It could also indicate it was set off remotely rather than by "a motivated participant".

In retrospect, I think we should be grateful that it was a car bomb rather than a huge fucker inside one of the buildings.

Jacob

Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 01:06:11 PMOnly description I've seen is "nordic looking". We'll see what gives.

So if he turns out to be a white Norwegian of long term Norwegian stock, what are the likely motivations?

Some personal feud with someone on the island? Raving lunatic acting out? Convert to Islam, so still an Islamist terrorist plot? Right-wing terrorist of some sort? Some kind of criminal feud?

Any other theories?

Razgovory

It's pretty common in Europe I think, and has been for a long time.  I think most political parties have "Youth wings".  The Hitlerjugend was only the most famous (communists had Pioneers).  In the US we have Young Democrats and College Republicans and the like, but that's still aimed at young adults.  I think this is more like a combination Boy Scouts and Summer camp (both religious and secular).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017