News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on July 04, 2015, 05:02:37 AM
The problem I have with Wachowskis is that, in terms of "mythos" and socio-politics, they are some of my favourite directors out there - it's just that they could use some help from someone who actually knows how to write screenplays.

But as "artists", they are for me with Pratchett, Gaiman and Greenaway.

OMG HUMAN BATTERIES pOWERFUl Social coMMENtARY
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

I was actually thinking of Cloud Atlas, you bitch. :P

celedhring

The problem I have with Wachowskis is that, in terms of "mythos" and socio-politics, they are some of my favourite directors out there - it's just that they could use some help from someone who actually knows how to write screenplays.

It's weird though, Matrix is an almost perfect script. It's used in film faculties as an exemplar of hero's journey.

Bound has a decent neo-noir script, too.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 04, 2015, 05:23:14 AM

It's weird though, Matrix is an almost perfect script. It's used in film faculties as an exemplar of hero's journey.

Matrix would be much better if the sequels could be erased from the face of the earth.

Syt

The sequels would've been if they'd had a cliffhanger reveal at the end of the second part where it turns out that Agent Smith is Neo's father.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2015, 07:37:05 AM
The sequels would've been if they'd had a cliffhanger reveal at the end of the second part where it turns out that Agent Smith is Neo's father.
NOOOOOOOOOO!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

"Mr Anderson .... I am your father!"
"Whoa! That's not true! That's impossible!"
"Search your root files, you know it to be true!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Larch on July 04, 2015, 07:00:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 04, 2015, 05:23:14 AM

Matrix would be much better if the sequels could be erased from the face of the earth.
Yeah.  Yeah.
PDH!

Ideologue

If it'd turned out Zion was just another level of the Matrix, that could've worked extremely well.

Anyway, Jupiter Ascending is poopy.  3/10.  And I generally love the kind of shit it offers, and the Wachowskis.  (Speed Racer? Perfect.  Cloud Atlas?  Nearly so.)  It's just really boring and often visually unappealing and atonal and lame.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Ok, so I watched "Jupiter Ascending". In terms of quality of experience, it reminded me of "Sorcerer's Apprentice" - it had a horrible plot and mediocre acting but there was enough cool shit to keep it entertaining.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 04, 2015, 11:32:54 AM
If it'd turned out Zion was just another level of the Matrix, that could've worked extremely well.

Anyway, Jupiter Ascending is poopy.  3/10.  And I generally love the kind of shit it offers, and the Wachowskis.  (Speed Racer? Perfect.  Cloud Atlas?  Nearly so.)  It's just really boring and often visually unappealing and atonal and lame.

I thought in fact visually it was quite appealing - it was probably the only thing it did right. Some of the "vistas" of planets were quite awesome.

It had a lot of that W40k/David Lynch's Dune feel to it, too.

Ideologue

I didn't like the constant metallic orangeness of the finale.  Plus the action scenes toward toward the bludgeoning, rather than being either exciting or beautiful.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

So we bailed on camping this weekend (The Wife did not feel great and weather) so we have watched a few movies today.
McFarland USA, good stuff.
Home, very cute.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Ended up watching the first ep of Wayward Pines. Got a bit pissed off that they stole the "escape from nightmare town" scene from In the Mouth of Madness.

I didn't like the episode too much, but I'm a sucker for these kinds of mysteries.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2015, 07:01:10 AM
I am going to see Magic Mike XXL as part of my new tradition for 4th of July.  The cinema I am going to is going to have a male stripper pre-show to the movie. My lawd!

FWIW, this film is better than the first one. Also, I figure it must be a tough gig for male strippers to perform in front a sober audience but still they did well. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.