News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

The Valley of the Gwangi (1969)

This is "The Lost World" set in the old west :alberta:.  The lovely (and overdubbed) Gila Golan works for a struggling wild west show near the US-Mexican border.  She meets her ex, James Franciscus, who wants to buy her horse.  Initially she is cold to his advances, but soon the sparks start to fly.  Then Franciscus and British Paleontologist, Laurence Naismith, discover that Gila has a miniature horse, a remnant from the dinosaur age.  They track the horse back to "The Forbidden Valley," but a blind Mexican gypsy woman warns them they will be cursed.  They discover the lost world in the forbidden valley and, after a padded out fight sequence they bring back an allosaurus.  What would you do if you had an allosaurus?  That's right, they put him in the circus for the viewing pleasure of the Mexican public.  At ten pesos a person soon they'll have enough to buy a hacienda complete with burros; but what if the gypsy-woman was right all along?

There isn't enough enough story here to justify the length of the film; but it's worth seeing for the  Ray Harryhausen dinosaurs.  The battle between the allosaur and an elephant is particularly impressive.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Quote from: Savonarola on July 03, 2015, 05:18:45 PM
The Valley of the Gwangi (1969)

This is "The Lost World" set in the old west :alberta:.  The lovely (and overdubbed) Gila Golan works for a struggling wild west show near the US-Mexican border.  She meets her ex, James Franciscus, who wants to buy her horse.  Initially she is cold to his advances, but soon the sparks start to fly.  Then Franciscus and British Paleontologist, Laurence Naismith, discover that Gila has a miniature horse, a remnant from the dinosaur age.  They track the horse back to "The Forbidden Valley," but a blind Mexican gypsy woman warns them they will be cursed.  They discover the lost world in the forbidden valley and, after a padded out fight sequence they bring back an allosaurus.  What would you do if you had an allosaurus?  That's right, they put him in the circus for the viewing pleasure of the Mexican public.  At ten pesos a person soon they'll have enough to buy a hacienda complete with burros; but what if the gypsy-woman was right all along?

There isn't enough enough story here to justify the length of the film; but it's worth seeing for the  Ray Harryhausen dinosaurs.  The battle between the allosaur and an elephant is particularly impressive.

So Michael Crichton stole the story.  :mad:

lustindarkness

Get Hard, funnier than I expected.
Hercules, not as stupid and bad as I expected.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 03, 2015, 03:17:01 PM
I recommend not watching Terminator Genesys.

I disagree.  I'm not sure if the multiple overlapping layers of time travel hang together, but it was a damn fine action movie. Great fights, stunts and action set pieces.

Also, on a minor note the young arnold cgi is absolutely increincredible, the most realistic I've ever seen.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 04, 2015, 01:11:20 AMthe moat realistic I've ever seen.

What would a Terminator movie be without moats!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Guardians of the Galaxy.  Expected much better based on the talk here.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2015, 03:01:02 AM
Guardians of the Galaxy.  Expected much better based on the talk here.

Something something assburgers.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2015, 10:24:51 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 03, 2015, 09:48:06 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2015, 07:01:10 AM
I am going to see Magic Mike XXL as part of my new tradition for 4th of July.  The cinema I am going to is going to have a male stripper pre-show to the movie. My lawd!

I'm trying to imagine the newspaper headlines if there was a girl stripper pre-show to a movie.

That's a rather different animal and you know it. ;)

Well, not too different, according to the first Magic Mike. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

So I was going to rent Jupiter Ascending this weekend, but having watched a Honest Trailer and Jeremy Jahns's review, I understand it really sucks. Is it worse than Cloud Atlas?

Liep

I thought Cloud Atlas was pretty good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on July 04, 2015, 04:52:16 AM
I thought Cloud Atlas was pretty good.

Same but there is a lot of people who thought it sucked apparently so I figured out that if I ask people this way and get a response that it is "just as bad", I would watch it. :P

I'm that smooth. :shifty:

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on July 04, 2015, 04:51:10 AM
So I was going to rent Jupiter Ascending this weekend, but having watched a Honest Trailer and Jeremy Jahns's review, I understand it really sucks. Is it worse than Cloud Atlas?

I'm on this boat too. I fancy watching some sci-fi action, but I wonder if it's as bad as reported.

Josquius

Yeah, Cloud Atlas was good. Felt a bit too much of itself and could have done with some more Koreans and less of the more mundane past stories but a nice film nonetheless.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

The problem I have with Wachowskis is that, in terms of "mythos" and socio-politics, they are some of my favourite directors out there - it's just that they could use some help from someone who actually knows how to write screenplays.

But as "artists", they are for me with Pratchett, Gaiman and Greenaway.