News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Oh I thought the spoiler tags were discussing Lava.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2015, 02:35:08 PM
Oh I thought the spoiler tags were discussing Lava.

Lava was an animated short about a volcano seeking true love from another volcano, using "lava" as a pun for "love". Need I say more?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

It perpetuates the idea that fat old islands deserve hot young islands upon whom to spill forth their hot fluids. Even so, it's terrible.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2015, 02:42:22 PM
It perpetuates the idea that fat old islands deserve hot young islands upon whom to spill forth their hot fluids. Even so, it's terrible.

:lmfao:

It would be criminal of you not to add that line to your review.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2015, 02:42:22 PM

See I was just thinking how lava gives birth to land just as love gives birth to us all. And then you had to go there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2015, 02:33:17 PM
We're talking Inside Out, which is good.

The worst thing ever was Lava, the short preceding it. There's not really much to spoil about it.

Yeah, that was dumb.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on July 02, 2015, 02:34:37 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2015, 02:27:34 PM
The Island of Not Being a Baby.

I'm looking forward to the sequel where it turns out [spoiler]giving into Sadness is a signal of weakness and makes society despise you.[/spoiler]

:lol:

I was gonna say that the bit about [spoiler]Sadness being good for you because it signals others to come and give you unconditional support would not be very comforting to a lot of folks for whom no such support was likely ... [/spoiler]

One of the best laughs was at the end: [spoiler] something like 'Puberty button? What's that for? Oh well, it's probably not important ...' [/spoiler]

I thought that [spoiler]The boy's inside feelings going bonkers when he dropped the water bottle and she handed it back to him[/spoiler] was hilarious.

Also, the parents insides during dinner were great.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

I finished watching Ascension- Well....that got silly. I liked the initial concept of a generation ship launched in the 60s, even the reveal that it was secret history rather than alternate history was OK, [spoiler] but then they revealed it was all some big earth based experiment. Well that's.,...dumb. And destroys so much of the appeal- generation ships are such a sci-fi trope and to actually see a show about one was nice. But no. Its US government conspiracy stuff. A greatly overdone genre if ever there was one.
But no, they didn't stop there, they go off into cliched idiotic ideas about evolution, ending with the magic girl (named Christa, OMG! Its Jesus 2; Vagina Time!) teleporting a guy to an alien planet. That this show hasn't been renewed is fine by me. It was like Lost on steroids.[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2015, 02:55:02 PM
I thought that [spoiler]The boy's inside feelings going bonkers when he dropped the water bottle and she handed it back to him[/spoiler] was hilarious.

Carl, age 9, asking about that scene: "why was that funny, dad?"

Me: "oh, you'll see. You. Will. See."

Ideologue

Quote from: BerkutAlso, the parents insides during dinner were great.
One's mileage may vary, but that part was film-film-breakingly bad for me.  It recovered eventually, but essentially had to rebuild my trust in its sensibilities from scratch.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on July 02, 2015, 03:14:38 PM
I finished watching Ascension- Well....that got silly. I liked the initial concept of a generation ship launched in the 60s, even the reveal that it was secret history rather than alternate history was OK, [spoiler] but then they revealed it was all some big earth based experiment. Well that's.,...dumb. And destroys so much of the appeal- generation ships are such a sci-fi trope and to actually see a show about one was nice. But no. Its US government conspiracy stuff. A greatly overdone genre if ever there was one.
But no, they didn't stop there, they go off into cliched idiotic ideas about evolution, ending with the magic girl (named Christa, OMG! Its Jesus 2; Vagina Time!) teleporting a guy to an alien planet. That this show hasn't been renewed is fine by me. It was like Lost on steroids.[/spoiler]
I feel exactly the same :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Celery, I saw a promo for your buddy's flic.  "Self/Less."

On the one hand I saw it on FXM, which is a nothing channel.  On the other hand most movies don't seem to get any paid publicity these days.

Ideologue

Self/Less is Tarsem Singh.  I didn't see the Snow White pastiche he did, but I did see The Cell, The Fall, and Immortals.  1/3.  And the 1 is The Cell.  Not a good track record.

Even so, I like sci-fi, so I'll see it. :)
Kinemalogue

Syt

I like Tarsem Singh movies - I find them aesthetically very pleasing. Unfortunately, his stories are usually not very good.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2015, 10:46:03 PM
Celery, I saw a promo for your buddy's flic.  "Self/Less."

On the one hand I saw it on FXM, which is a nothing channel.  On the other hand most movies don't seem to get any paid publicity these days.
If you actually got out much to theaters, you would be seeing it in front of pretty much any movie in trailers past six months.. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son