And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Didn't see it before Mad Max.

celedhring

I'm no fan of Tarsem, but my friends' script was good - it got very high on the Hollywood Black List a few years ago. I hope it does well, but I guess it will depend on the promotion it gets.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2015, 10:46:03 PM
Celery, I saw a promo for your buddy's flic.  "Self/Less."

On the one hand I saw it on FXM, which is a nothing channel.  On the other hand most movies don't seem to get any paid publicity these days.

A propos of this, I just saw this article:

http://adage.com/article/media/popcorn-flic/299309/

Movie dollars are keeping the networks fat and happy this summer, and while a number of potential blockbusters have yet to hit your local multiplex, thus far Warner Bros. has emerged as TV's biggest booster.
According to iSpot.tv data, the three summer releases that currently account for the biggest TV spend are all Warner titles. "Mad Max: Fury Road" leads the way with a total TV investment of $41.9 million, followed by "Entourage" ($40.7 million) and "San Andreas" ($39.4 million).
A good chunk of the "Mad Max" TV buy was allocated to NBA games on TNT and ABC and across CBS and the Turner networks' coverage of the NCAA Div. I Men's Basketball Tournament. "Entourage" and "San Andreas" also targeted pro hoops, as teasers for both movies appeared during ABC's presentation of the NBA Finals.
All told, the three Warner flicks accounted for $122 million in network and cable TV spend. Toss in the $27.9 million the studio has spent on the doggie drama "Max" and the studio's four-picture summer TV investment is a hair shy of $150 million.
While Warner's TV budget is nothing to sneeze at, the studio generally appears to have gotten its money's worth. To date, "Mad Max" has taken in $147.3 million in stateside box office receipts, while "San Andreas" is hot on its heels with a $142.7 million haul. Only "Entourage" failed to pay off, shifting just $31.5 million in ticket sales, or $9.2 million shy of what Warner spent on the TV portion of its marketing campaign.
Universal has also done a deep TV dive, laying down $32.2 million to promote the $506.9 million smash "Jurassic World" and another $27.6 million on "Pitch Perfect 2," which has generated $181.3 million in ticket sales since its May 15 premiere. Even "Ted 2," the sequel to that movie about the foul-mouthed Masshole teddy bear, has made good on its TV spend, grossing $37.2 million against an outlay of $23.2 million.
Other studios that have seen a sound return on their TV investment include Disney/Pixar, which has ponied up $30.9 million to promote the $192.1 million "Inside Out;" Twentieth Century Fox, which dropped $31.4 million on the $89.4 million Melissa McCarthy vehicle "Spy" and Marvel, which laid down $27 million in TV spend to hype its $452.7 million box office hit "The Avengers: Age of Ultron."
Among the films that have yet to be released but are already in high gear are Paramount's "Terminator: GeniSys" ($28.5 million), Universal's "Minions" ($15.1 million), Marvel's "Ant-Man" ($13.5 million) and Paramount's "Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation" ($12.2 million).

The Brain

I think The Cell and The Fall are OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I am going to see Magic Mike XXL as part of my new tradition for 4th of July.  The cinema I am going to is going to have a male stripper pre-show to the movie. My lawd!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2015, 07:01:10 AM
I am going to see Magic Mike XXL as part of my new tradition for 4th of July.  The cinema I am going to is going to have a male stripper pre-show to the movie. My lawd!

I'm trying to imagine the newspaper headlines if there was a girl stripper pre-show to a movie.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Is Ninja Apocalypse any good?

Liep

Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2015, 09:49:18 AM

That franchise took a turn for the worse after Gay Ninjas Get Right to Marriage.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2015, 09:49:18 AM

It has Carey Hiroyuki-Tagawa, of Showdown in Little Tokyo and Bridge of Dragons fame.

The Brain

crazy canuck

I watched Kingsman on pay per view.  I think that is the best movie I didn't know anything about before watching it.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on July 03, 2015, 09:48:06 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2015, 07:01:10 AM

I'm trying to imagine the newspaper headlines if there was a girl stripper pre-show to a movie.

That's a rather different animal and you know it. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2015, 10:00:25 AM
SOLD

[spoiler]Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa is pretty good as always but he does not appear in a significant part of the movie. This is vague on purpose to be even less of a spoiler[/spoiler]

OTOH, ninjas and zombies  :hmm:

Darth Wagtaros

I recommend not watching Terminator Genesys. 
PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 03, 2015, 03:17:01 PM
I recommend not watching Terminator Genesys.

The reviewer I heard this morning was of the same opinion.