News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

:angry:

The Addams Family (1991).  Really quite enjoyable as a melange of goofy winking darkness with a story on the shortlist of the most contrived of all time.  Did this win a makeup Oscar?  Perhaps the Academy balked at a movie with so many jokes about dismemberment, murder, live burial, BDSM, cannibalism, pedophilia, and necrophilia.  But that would have been a shame, because the makeup is really quite extraordinary, particularly Chris Lloyd's.

8/10
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Stranger than Paradise (1984)

The most 90s film made in the 80s.  John Lurie is a small time gambler living in New York City who is none to pleased when his cousin from Budapest comes to visit.  Dead pan hilarity ensues.

The "Paradise" scenes were shot here in Melbourne, Fl.  :cool: The airport at the end is what is now the Melbourne International Airport (at the time Melbourne Regional Airport.)  Of course there aren't flights to Budapest, Paris or Madrid today, much less in the 1980s. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

CB and I watched a retrospective on the Bad Boys era Pistons.  It was narrated by Kid Rock and had interviews with the Pistons as well as a number of their opponents.  My favorite:

Patrick Ewing:  I hated Rodman, hated to have him on you.  He'd squeeze your butt constantly, by the end of the third quarter you were like :huh:
Rodman:  I think I learned that one from Rick Mahorn.

Jordan said that he didn't think he would have been as good if he didn't have to struggle to overcome the Pistons; but Pippen still held a grudge against the team.

I had forgotten that it was actually Rodman who had said that Bird wouldn't have been a superstar if he was black.  Isaiah got in trouble for echoing Rodman's comment; but Rodman was largely left alone.  (At the time Rodman was the sixth man; and not at all the train wreck star we've come to know and love.)  As the leader Isaiah took a blunt of the blame for their antics.  All the commentators they interviewed blamed Isaiah for the Pistons walking off the court against the Bulls in 1991; but Bill Laimbeer gleefully took credit for coming up with the idea. 

Mahorn and Laimbeer were, as always, the most entertaining.  It struck me that Isaiah sounds like Smokey Robinson with his high pitched voice, while Rodman sounds like Humpty. 

Basketball has a following in Colombia.  I was surprised that when I told people there that I was originally from Detroit they immediately mentioned "The Bad Boys."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on July 01, 2015, 10:28:32 AM
CB and I watched a retrospective on the Bad Boys era Pistons.  It was narrated by Kid Rock and had interviews with the Pistons as well as a number of their opponents.  My favorite:

Patrick Ewing:  I hated Rodman, hated to have him on you.  He'd squeeze your butt constantly, by the end of the third quarter you were like :huh:

Jordan said that he didn't think he would have been as good if he didn't have to struggle to overcome the Pistons; but Pippen still held a grudge against the team.

I had forgotten that it was actually Rodman who had said that Bird wouldn't have been a superstar if he was black.  Isaiah got in trouble for echoing Rodman's comment; but Rodman was largely left alone.  (At the time Rodman was the sixth man; and not at all the train wreck star we've come to know and love.)  As the leader Isaiah took a blunt of the blame for their antics.  All the commentators they interviewed blamed Isaiah for the Pistons walking off the court against the Bulls in 1991; but Bill Laimbeer gleefully took credit for coming up with the idea. 

Mahorn and Laimbeer were, as always, the most entertaining.  It struck me that Isaiah sounds like Smokey Robinson with his high pitched voice, while Rodman sounds like Humpty. 

Basketball has a following in Colombia.  I was surprised that when I told people there that I was originally from Detroit they immediately mentioned "The Bad Boys."

I don't understand a word of this. I assume it's some sort of sports group or dance craze?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Night at the Roxbury- one of those famous film titles I've somehow never seen.
Except....
It's crap.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on July 01, 2015, 10:33:53 AM
Except....
It's crap.

I think Chris Rock put it best while speaking to the cast alumni at the SNL 25th Anniversary:  Some of the worst movies ever made were made by people in this room!

Josephus

Except....
It's crap.

The majority of SNL films from that era were generally crap....that one, the Its Pat one was even worse..probably impossible to find even.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Chris Rock was in a few of them so he would know  :lol:

I never understood why people who were not Detroit fans like Isaiah Thomas. Easily one of the more loathsome people around. I guess I never forgave him for turning on his supposed friend Magic Johnson during the AIDS thing. Of course I was a big Magic fan as a kid so I am biased a bit.

But then he got the job as Knicks GM for some reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2015, 10:58:51 AM
Chris Rock was in a few of them so he would know  :lol:

I never understood why people who were not Detroit fans like Isaiah Thomas. Easily one of the more loathsome people around. I guess I never forgave him for turning on his supposed friend Magic Johnson during the AIDS thing. Of course I was a big Magic fan as a kid so I am biased a bit.

But then he got the job as Knicks GM for some reason.

He was big in Chicago before Michael Jordan because he was from there.  If you watch "Hoop Dreams" you'll see one of the kids has an Isaiah poster and later in the film he replaces it with a Jordan poster.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on July 01, 2015, 10:55:58 AM
Except....
It's crap.

The majority of SNL films from that era were generally crap....that one, the Its Pat one was even worse..probably impossible to find even.

They still are. MacGruber for instance. It's hard to turn a three minute sketch into a decent movie. Other than Wayne's World, I can't think of any that succeeded.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on July 01, 2015, 10:30:05 AM

I don't understand a word of this. I assume it's some sort of sports group or dance craze?

Short Version:

There once was a very good basketball team that won a lot because they had good players who were not worried about being cheap shot thugs.

Then another basketball team came along who had the best player in NBA history, and over a few years time began to eclipse the team of asshole thugs.

Once thug douchebags realized that they could not cheat their way to any more championships, they walked off the court against the new team before the game ended to as to avoid shaking their hands.

Basically, the entire thing is a case study in the absolute worst of humanity as expressed in professional sports.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on July 01, 2015, 11:54:17 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 01, 2015, 10:30:05 AM

Short Version:

There once was a very good basketball team that won a lot because they had good players who were not worried about being cheap shot thugs.

Then another basketball team came along who had the best player in NBA history, and over a few years time began to eclipse the team of asshole thugs.

Once thug douchebags realized that they could not cheat their way to any more championships, they walked off the court against the new team before the game ended to as to avoid shaking their hands.

Basically, the entire thing is a case study in the absolute worst of humanity as expressed in professional sports.

Thank you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 01, 2015, 11:14:58 AM
Quote from: Josephus on July 01, 2015, 10:55:58 AM
Except....
It's crap.

They still are. MacGruber for instance. It's hard to turn a three minute sketch into a decent movie. Other than Wayne's World, I can't think of any that succeeded.

MacGruber has a few moments of real genius and I honestly enjoy it.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Yeah but you enjoyed The Room too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Fair.  It's one of my favorite movies and I'd call it terrible but far, far more enjoyable than even the vast majority of movies I watch that I would call "good."  I would-and have-watched The Room 30 times before I would watch Argo again.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."