Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

The third Terminator movie is superior.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Saw the first two episodes of the dramatization of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell yesterday - I thought it was very well done. The characters looked very much as I imagined them from the book, and it had a nice atmosphere to it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 06, 2015, 07:12:20 AM
The third Terminator movie is superior.

Slow day in Normandy?

Eddie Teach

Caught the last half of Harsh Times. Christian Bale is a psycho ex- soldier living in the barrio. He and his best friend need jobs, but take a day off to get high. When they do get jobs, they celebrate. Things escalate from there.

Not the greatest film, but when you're stuck with motel TV it's OK.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Alone in the Dark (2005)

Yet another masterpiece from Uwe Boll; this time Christian Slater is a paranormal investigator and Tara Reid is his scientist love-interest.  No, really, Tara Reid plays an archaeologist in one of the most hilarious miscasts in the history of cinema.  She puts her hair in a bun and tries to phonetically sound out sciency sounding words.  That's the high point of the movie.  The rest of it is gunfire, voice overs and plot holes; all the things we've come to expect from Uwe Boll.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on July 06, 2015, 04:08:20 PM
Alone in the Dark (2005)

Yet another masterpiece from Uwe Boll; this time Christian Slater is a paranormal investigator and Tara Reid is his scientist love-interest.  No, really, Tara Reid plays an archaeologist in one of the most hilarious miscasts in the history of cinema.  She puts her hair in a bun and tries to phonetically sound out sciency sounding words.  That's the high point of the movie.  The rest of it is gunfire, voice overs and plot holes; all the things we've come to expect from Uwe Boll.

That was a great game. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on July 06, 2015, 04:08:20 PM
Alone in the Dark (2005)

Speaking of which, there aren't that many "so bad it's good" Uwe Boll movies. In fact, I can only vouch for House of the Dead. Great Jürgen Prochnow cameo as well. :)

celedhring

Uwe Boll has mastered the "so bad it's bad" genre. There's little tongue-in-cheek or redeeming cult qualities to anything he does.

Josquius

He still going?
Thought they had closed his tax holes
██████
██████
██████

lustindarkness

My local movie theathre is playing Jaws tonight. :hmm: Should I?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Fantomas (1913)

This is a series of five feature length films about French master criminal Fantomas and his rival, Inspector Juve.  Both men are masters of disguise so there's plot twist after plot twist as they continue their lethal game of cat and mouse.  While the movies were not serials, each ends with a cliffhanger and Fantomas is always at large at the end.

These films are done before DW Griffith's techniques were widely copied, so the result is that the camera is nailed to the floor and the scene plays out.  There's no cross cuts, no changes in shots and no moving camera.  It was (for the time) a high budget film; so the sets are elaborate, and the actors are decent.  It's a rare glimpse into a big budget spectacular in the days before "Birth of a Nation."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

I got kind of bored with it.

Now Cabiria, that's some spectacle. (Moving camera, but primitive editing and barely such a thing as a close up, in fact barely such a thing as any shots that weren't establishing or medium shots. Fanfuckingtastic stunts and sets. Kind of a lame ending.)

I'm hoping the restoration that played at Venice (iirc) gets a blu ray release at some point.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 07, 2015, 10:10:00 AM
My local movie theathre is playing Jaws tonight. :hmm: Should I?

I once said that Brodie's wife is the Milfiest Milf who ever milfed.  Go and see it, just so you can come back here and say YI WAS RIGHT.

I wouldn't pay to see it because I've already seen it 15 times.

lustindarkness

I may watched it at least a dozen times, but never on the big screen.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on July 07, 2015, 01:14:05 PM
I got kind of bored with it.

The stories were hit or miss.  I like the one where Fantomas blows up the house with Juve inside and the one where Fantomas impersonates a judge.

QuoteNow Cabiria, that's some spectacle. (Moving camera, but primitive editing and barely such a thing as a close up, in fact barely such a thing as any shots that weren't establishing or medium shots. Fanfuckingtastic stunts and sets. Kind of a lame ending.)

I'm hoping the restoration that played at Venice (iirc) gets a blu ray release at some point.

Italian cinema of the era had a lot of lavish spectacles.  The "Acting," though, wasn't subtle.  Even up to the end of the silent era the dagos run around like maniacs.  I didn't know there was a new restoration of Cabiria; I'll have to check that out.