Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 06, 2015, 05:30:32 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 06, 2015, 04:08:20 PM
Alone in the Dark (2005)

Yet another masterpiece from Uwe Boll; this time Christian Slater is a paranormal investigator and Tara Reid is his scientist love-interest.  No, really, Tara Reid plays an archaeologist in one of the most hilarious miscasts in the history of cinema.  She puts her hair in a bun and tries to phonetically sound out sciency sounding words.  That's the high point of the movie.  The rest of it is gunfire, voice overs and plot holes; all the things we've come to expect from Uwe Boll.

Speaking of which, there aren't that many "so bad it's good" Uwe Boll movies. In fact, I can only vouch for House of the Dead. Great Jürgen Prochnow cameo as well. :)

I'll grant you that Jürgen Prochnow as a boat captain was clever; but that's something that can't be said for anything else ever in a Uwe Boll movie.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

It's a restored three hour cut, financed by Marty Scorsese, reputedly very close to the original presented back in 1913.  Sadly not available in any form of which I am aware.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on July 07, 2015, 02:40:02 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 06, 2015, 05:30:32 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 06, 2015, 04:08:20 PM
Alone in the Dark (2005)

Yet another masterpiece from Uwe Boll; this time Christian Slater is a paranormal investigator and Tara Reid is his scientist love-interest.  No, really, Tara Reid plays an archaeologist in one of the most hilarious miscasts in the history of cinema.  She puts her hair in a bun and tries to phonetically sound out sciency sounding words.  That's the high point of the movie.  The rest of it is gunfire, voice overs and plot holes; all the things we've come to expect from Uwe Boll.

Speaking of which, there aren't that many "so bad it's good" Uwe Boll movies. In fact, I can only vouch for House of the Dead. Great Jürgen Prochnow cameo as well. :)

I'll grant you that Jürgen Prochnow as a boat captain was clever; but that's something that can't be said for anything else ever in a Uwe Boll movie.

A role he reprised in the Wing Commander movie. To the point of hiding the carrier from prowling Kilrathi. And being silent in the vacuum of space.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

The Terminator- Yep. It is excellent. I think I am coming around to thinking it is better than T2, they are both very different films but I was always unsure and varying in my view there.
One thing that strikes me though, people in the 80s were really very confident in how computer technology was going to progress so quickly. You don't just see it in grim settings like this but also a lot of sci-fi where the machines aren't evil (or not so good at being evil).
Of course they never get the internet.

Incredible Hulk- I've never actually seen this one. Interesting. It is curious how it is a direct sequel to the first Hulk film, relies on watchers knowing a lot about what went before, I had thought it was a bit of a reboot/redo due to the first's failure. This one....yeah, not the best, but not as bad as I had heard.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Watched a bit of Deutschland 83 last night.  Spy thingy in German with subtitles.  Pretty ballsy putting a subtitled TV show on here.  I think it will not do well.

Amusing scene in which our boys and girls at the Stasi are trying to figure out what a floppy disk is.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2015, 03:48:06 PM
Watched a bit of Deutschland 83 last night.  Spy thingy in German with subtitles.  Pretty ballsy putting a subtitled TV show on here.  I think it will not do well.

Amusing scene in which our boys and girls at the Stasi are trying to figure out what a floppy disk is.

For another take on the subject (spying in 80s Germany, plus early hacking, plus a healthy dose of clinical paranoia), check 23 (not the Jim Carrey movie):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0126765/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_(film)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

One of the things I love about The Terminator is the sense of doom. They're chased by a seemingly unstoppable killer robot, but even if they somehow defeat it the world is still going to hell.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Syriana. Guy that wrote Traffic makes the same movie, but with oil and Arabs instead of drugs and Mexicans.

It's well crafted and acted, but like Traffic it has the subtlety of a drunken elephant.

Admiral Yi

I liked everything about Syriana except the nutter butter conspiracy theory that is it's whole raison d'etre.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2015, 04:29:36 PM
I liked everything about Syriana except the nutter butter conspiracy theory that is it's whole raison d'etre.

I just can't do political films, every character usually feels like a puppet existing only to prove the filmmaker's point, which takes me out of the movie - even if I might align with said political points. So you need to pull off something really extraordinary or daring to reel me in. Syriana is well done, but not extraordinary.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2015, 03:48:06 PM

Holy shit, why was I not aware of this.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2015, 04:20:50 PM
Syriana. Guy that wrote Traffic makes the same movie, but with oil and Arabs instead of drugs and Mexicans.

It's well crafted and acted, but like Traffic it has the subtlety of a drunken elephant.

I like it better than Traffic.  Really love Syriana.  Subtlety's for weenies.
Kinemalogue

katmai

QuoteDisney had been promising a series of spinoffs to the powerful "Star Wars" franchise it acquired when it bought LucasFilm. Now the studio is preparing a new feature focusing on the life of young hero Han Solo, to be directed by Christopher Miller and Phil Lord, the partners who gained acclaim by helming "The Lego Movie" and the "21 Jump Street" films, Walt Disney Studios announced Tuesday.

The Han Solo standalone is slated for a May 25, 2018 release date and is written by Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan. The story focuses on how young Han Solo became the smuggler, thief, and scoundrel whom Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first encountered in the cantina at Mos Eisley. Lawrence Kasdan co-wrote other franchise entries "The Empire Strikes Back," "Return of the Jedi," and "The Force Awakens." Jon Kasdan wrote and directed "The First Time," which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, and "In the Land of Women," as well as writing for the television series "Freaks and Geeks" and "Dawson's Creek."

"This is the first film we've worked on that seems like a good idea to begin with. We promise to take risks, to give the audience a fresh experience, and we pledge ourselves to be faithful stewards of these characters who mean so much to us," the directing duo said in a statement. "This is a dream come true for us. And not the kind of dream where you're late for work and all your clothes are made of pudding, but the kind of dream where you get to make a film with some of the greatest characters ever, in a film franchise you've loved since before you can remember having dreams at all."

"We're so excited to be working with Chris and Phil, who will bring a fresh new dimension to the 'Star Wars' universe," said the Kasdans. "They're two of the smartest, funniest and most original filmmakers around, and the ideal choice to tell the story of Han Solo, one of the coolest characters in the galaxy."

Kathleen Kennedy, who will produce the film, added, "It's not just any filmmaker who can tell the story of such a beloved icon like Han Solo, and I'm excited to say we've found the perfect team to handle the task. Larry and Jon know all there is to know about the character, and Chris and Phil will bring their wit, style, energy and heart to tell Han's story."

Lawrence Kasdan and Jason McGatlin will exec produce, with Will Allegra co-producing.

The next release from the franchise, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" is due out this Christmas.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.