News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Haven't watched it yet, so not clicking the spoilers, but it seems they're launching a new animated show for kids, too, "Star Trek: Prodigy", which brings back Kate Mulgrew as Janeway. Being a fan of "evil Janeway" memes, this could be quite fun. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

They haven't even announced lower decks for any channel here and thus far I've been to lazy to pirate.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Another great Halloween time movie: Coraline.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Locke and Key. Family-friendly, but ok anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I watched four lions again. Haven't seen it for a decade. It really is from another time. But great anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Started to watch The Haunting of Bly House. Was eerily familiar. Didn't realize it was an adaptaion of Turn of the Screw. Watched two episodes. First was pretty good. Second spent a bit too much time at Miles' school.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on October 11, 2020, 05:56:54 AM
Started to watch The Haunting of Bly House. Was eerily familiar. Didn't realize it was an adaptaion of Turn of the Screw. Watched two episodes. First was pretty good. Second spent a bit too much time at Miles' school.

It's really good I think, seen seven episodes so far and the last one was goddamn terrifying. Also, that kid can act.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 10, 2020, 01:32:59 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2020, 04:23:45 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 29, 2020, 04:17:13 PM
Started on Star Trek TNG. I didn't see every single episode back in the day. I don't know how far I'll go, but it's soo much nicer to watch it now without commercial breaks.

I got the boys watching Star Trek - Lower Decks.  It's been good.  It's quite accessible to the guys despite having zero knowledge of Star Trek.

Anyone been watching ST: Lower Decks?  Season 1 just wound up.  Season finale was far more epic (and jam packed with Star Trek call-backs) than I thought it wound be.

[spoiler]They visit a planet from TOS!

One of the characters makes a references to TOS - Those Old Scientists!

There's an exocomp officer in Starfleet!

The Pakleds are back - and they mean business!

They kill off a secondary character!

MFing Will Riker saves the day!

And... one of the main characters transfers off the ship![/spoiler]

Holy crap - that was a lot of Star Trek lore, and action, than I expected from a next-gen version of Star Trek: The Animated Series.
Yes, I really liked it.  I liked the season overall, too.  I don't get the bad reviews, like somehow, they should have been all serious or something and this ain't real Trek...  Like, did these people even read the synopsis of the series?  Gee. 

So, anyway.  Yes, lots of callbacks for an epic finale.  I greatly recommend the show to any fan of Star Trek with a sense of humour. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Watching the Amazon Prime re-make of Utopia and it's....fine.

But I just don't really get it. It feels like a missed opportunity because it's basically an okay, high-end glossy American show. Which is fine. But the original had this really distinctive (at the time) visual style. It was a really striking aesthetic - sort of primary colours, dystopia with a Wes Anderson love for slightly sinister symmetries/composition. This is the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gxwIqqzB4

And this has lost that aesthetic. So it's still a good story, and it's well-acted, but it doesn't have a style of its own. On the upside apparently Amazon have already announced the number of episodes so we should get resolution to the story because Channel 4 cancelled it after two series.

Edit: Also the original had a cracking soundtrack - so far the re-make doesn't.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 12, 2020, 12:56:52 PM
Watching the Amazon Prime re-make of Utopia and it's....fine.

But I just don't really get it. It feels like a missed opportunity because it's basically an okay, high-end glossy American show. Which is fine. But the original had this really distinctive (at the time) visual style. It was a really striking aesthetic - sort of primary colours, dystopia with a Wes Anderson love for slightly sinister symmetries/composition. This is the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gxwIqqzB4

And this has lost that aesthetic. So it's still a good story, and it's well-acted, but it doesn't have a style of its own. On the upside apparently Amazon have already announced the number of episodes so we should get resolution to the story because Channel 4 cancelled it after two series.

Edit: Also the original had a cracking soundtrack - so far the re-make doesn't.

Yeah, I saw the trailer and was slightly disappointed. It's the same, but normalized. Pointless.

I also loved how the original created a high stakes apocalyptic story with such a minimalist approach.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 12, 2020, 01:13:54 PM
Yeah, I saw the trailer and was slightly disappointed. It's the same, but normalized. Pointless.
In other highly stylised Brit series that get cancelled I'm devastated that there won't be a second series of Giri/Haji. Especially as the writer teased a Rodney and Taki roadtrip through Japan :(

QuoteI also loved how the original created a high stakes apocalyptic story with such a minimalist approach.
As in cooking, economy can be a great source of creativity :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!