News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Slaughterhouse Rulez. This got mixed reviews when it came out. But is basically a sort of Shaun of the Dead style film (down to including both Pegg and Frost) set in an English public school.

I'm more positive than the reviews, I think it's good fun and Michael Sheen as the headmaster is really having a great time :lol:

The big issue is, it isn't as good as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz and because it wears its influences so obviously, because it has Pegg and Frost in it, that's a bit of an issue. Because it refers to those films and that style so much a lot of the time you're just left thinking, you'd probably be better off just watching those films.

There is one Alien joke though which I absolutely loved.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Started on Star Trek TNG. I didn't see every single episode back in the day. I don't know how far I'll go, but it's soo much nicer to watch it now without commercial breaks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on September 29, 2020, 04:17:13 PM
Started on Star Trek TNG. I didn't see every single episode back in the day. I don't know how far I'll go, but it's soo much nicer to watch it now without commercial breaks.

I got the boys watching Star Trek - Lower Decks.  It's been good.  It's quite accessible to the guys despite having zero knowledge of Star Trek.

So now I'm tempted to try giving TNG a go (I'm convinced TOS would turn them off).  But a few years ago I tried watching it myself, starting right from Season 1 Encounter at Farpoint... and lets say the show took a while to really get going.

Maybe I'll just pick and choose a few episodes to watch with them and see how it goes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 28, 2020, 03:42:16 PM
I think that the main reason we don't have shows and movies that have leads that are just incidentally female is that female viewers are more tolerant of shows with male leads than is true vice-versa.  I know guys who refused to watch the BSG reboot because Starbuck was a woman, even though only incidentally so.

The Money in Hollywood is too timid to take chances.
also because women viewership of these shows ain't enough to justify the risk of casting a female lead.  and in turn it repeals broader female viewership because there's not enough women.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 28, 2020, 05:32:38 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2020, 03:55:46 PM
Mmmmm... I'm not completely sure about Holden. He embodies a certain naive, uncomplicated idealism which contrasts with the more complex issues the female protagonists find themselves having to balance out. He's the "good" version of the guys at the UN table. I think that's intentional.

Holden's also the target of a lot of explanatory exposition, as well (at least in the books - I gave up on the series when it was clear they were traying to out-dark the very dark books).  You have to be more careful with extensive explanatory exposition* to a female character - it can easy become stereotypical.

*my alliteration quota for the day is met!
of all sci-fi tv shows or movies where a book existed before filming, is there a single instance where you thought the book was worst?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2020, 04:58:16 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 28, 2020, 05:32:38 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2020, 03:55:46 PM
Mmmmm... I'm not completely sure about Holden. He embodies a certain naive, uncomplicated idealism which contrasts with the more complex issues the female protagonists find themselves having to balance out. He's the "good" version of the guys at the UN table. I think that's intentional.

Holden's also the target of a lot of explanatory exposition, as well (at least in the books - I gave up on the series when it was clear they were traying to out-dark the very dark books).  You have to be more careful with extensive explanatory exposition* to a female character - it can easy become stereotypical.

*my alliteration quota for the day is met!
of all sci-fi tv shows or movies where a book existed before filming, is there a single instance where you thought the book was worst?

Starship Troopers
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 29, 2020, 02:17:18 PM
Slaughterhouse Rulez. This got mixed reviews when it came out. But is basically a sort of Shaun of the Dead style film (down to including both Pegg and Frost) set in an English public school.

I'm more positive than the reviews, I think it's good fun and Michael Sheen as the headmaster is really having a great time :lol:

The big issue is, it isn't as good as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz and because it wears its influences so obviously, because it has Pegg and Frost in it, that's a bit of an issue. Because it refers to those films and that style so much a lot of the time you're just left thinking, you'd probably be better off just watching those films.

There is one Alien joke though which I absolutely loved.

The humor arc of Simon Pegg's flicks bears an eerie resemblance to that of Mike Myers'.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2020, 06:01:24 PM
The humor arc of Simon Pegg's flicks bears an eerie resemblance to that of Mike Myers'.
But, unlike him, can show up as a serviceable (comic) sidekick in action films.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 29, 2020, 06:15:00 PM
But, unlike him, can show up as a serviceable (comic) sidekick in action films.

Mike did a serviceable job in Inglorious Bastards.  :contract:

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2020, 04:58:16 PM

No, I am sure that there are multiple instances. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!