News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I prefer Tromeo & Juliet.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2020, 09:32:40 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2020, 09:17:03 AM
Clueless was a very early/mid 90s movie though. I guess it kicked off the trend.
Yeah - I think it and Romeo + Juliet (which I also love) really kickstarted the trend of teen movies that are adaptations of "classic" literature.

Valley Girl riffed off Romeo + Juliet. Clueless was a product of the 90s and really only belongs in that time bubble of optimism.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2020, 09:50:26 AM
Clueless was a very early/mid 90s movie though. I guess it kicked off the trend.
Yeah - I think it and Romeo + Juliet (which I also love) really kickstarted the trend of teen movies that are adaptations of "classic" literature.

Valley Girl riffed off Romeo + Juliet. Clueless was a product of the 90s and really only belongs in that time bubble of optimism.
I have never seen such a wrong and bad opinion in my entire time on Languish <_< :P
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2020, 09:52:28 AM

I have never seen such a wrong and bad opinion in my entire time on Languish <_< :P

You young whiper snapers have no context.  :P

garbon

Clueless is basically a modern take of Emma.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Romeo + Juliet spurred my undying love for all things Baz Luhrmann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beV56hp4T3w&ab_channel=marnieee

Valmy

Ugh! As if!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 01, 2020, 09:57:22 AM
Romeo + Juliet spurred my undying love for all things Baz Luhrmann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beV56hp4T3w&ab_channel=marnieee
Same. And then I saw Strictly Ballroom which is incredible. Even when he's not very good he's normally making films with such a deliberate style that I kind of like it anyway.

Edit: Also his entire catalogue has such a camp aesthetic it blew my mind to discover he's married to a woman - and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Yeah, Clueless is from 1995 and Romeo+Juliet from 1996, but it then took a few years for the trend to pick up, as I think that until 1999's 10 Things I Hate About You or Cruel Intentions there aren't any other teen adaptations of classic novels. Then in the 2000s you have O, She's the Man and Get Over it, and I think the last of this kind of movies was Easy A, from 2010.

HVC

Ah Clueless, the classic 90's incest film.

:P Sorry, Sheilbh, just trying to get a rise out of you :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 01, 2020, 10:05:12 AM

Yeah, Clueless is from 1995 and Romeo+Juliet from 1996, but it then took a few years for the trend to pick up, as I think that until 1999's 10 Things I Hate About You or Cruel Intentions there aren't any other teen adaptations of classic novels. Then in the 2000s you have O, She's the Man and Get Over it, and I think the last of this kind of movies was Easy A, from 2010.
I was thinking of whether Easy A counts - I think it's great (particularly love Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson - maybe a sign of ageing that I really like the parent character :o :ph34r:).

Haven't seen the others though - there's She's All That as well.

I feel like after that moment (and maybe Easy A is the pivot? :hmm:) teen movies went a bit Wes Anderson/indie comedy, often with real issues (Superbad, Booksmart, Eighth Grade, Submarine) with a few more realist entries (Rocks, Girlhood, Mid90s). I'm sure someone could explain why and what this all means. But I honestly really like teen movies - I think they tend to be really good value and generally whip-smart because they are catering for the most demanding, least forgiving demographic in the world :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on October 01, 2020, 10:08:36 AM
Ah Clueless, the classic 90's incest film.

:P Sorry, Sheilbh, just trying to get a rise out of you :D
:lol: No that's a fair critique. It's like how I really like the film Big, unless I think about what's going on in the film Big :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Totally off that topic but as it's entering into Halloween month I'll be bingeing a lot of horror films (a genre that typically a fairly non-demanding, tolerant audience :lol:) and this sounds fascinating about the re-discovery of a (presumed lost) 70s Iranian gothic family horror :hmm:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/30/iranian-film-chess-of-the-wind-reborn-mohammad-reza-aslani-bfi-london-film-festival

Available for free on the BFI Player on 10-13 October as part of the London Film Festival.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2020, 10:18:01 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 01, 2020, 10:05:12 AM

I was thinking of whether Easy A counts - I think it's great (particularly love Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson - maybe a sign of ageing that I really like the parent character :o :ph34r:).

Haven't seen the others though - there's She's All That as well.

I feel like after that moment (and maybe Easy A is the pivot? :hmm:) teen movies went a bit Wes Anderson/indie comedy, often with real issues (Superbad, Booksmart, Eighth Grade, Submarine) with a few more realist entries (Rocks, Girlhood, Mid90s). I'm sure someone could explain why and what this all means. But I honestly really like teen movies - I think they tend to be really good value and generally whip-smart because they are catering for the most demanding, least forgiving demographic in the world :lol:

How could you miss Juno!  :P

Don't know, I guess these are trends and in the 2000s and 2010s this kind of movies became "quirky", and focused more on oddball characters and strangely precocious teens.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 01, 2020, 10:25:14 AM
How could you miss Juno!  :P
Mea culpa  :Embarrass:

QuoteDon't know, I guess these are trends and in the 2000s and 2010s this kind of movies became "quirky", and focused more on oddball characters and strangely precocious teens.
Yeah. There's definitely a thesis or two in this - "...reflecting the anxiety and idealism of teens whose world was defined by post-9/11 conflict and the financial crisis...." :P
Let's bomb Russia!