News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

So are we not gonna mention that Clueless is Emma???

Clueless is an awesome movie. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2020, 01:54:14 PM
There's a Borat 2 and it's coming out on Amazon.   :huh:

I mean, Sasha Baron Cohen's gotta eat so I don't begrudge him, but it seems like that's a concept that's played out.

Although I do remember just howling at a couple bits from the original.

meh...never really cared for that style of humour.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 02, 2020, 12:12:26 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2020, 09:50:26 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2020, 09:32:40 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2020, 09:17:03 AM
Clueless was a very early/mid 90s movie though. I guess it kicked off the trend.
Yeah - I think it and Romeo + Juliet (which I also love) really kickstarted the trend of teen movies that are adaptations of "classic" literature.

Valley Girl riffed off Romeo + Juliet. Clueless was a product of the 90s and really only belongs in that time bubble of optimism.

Clueless was a riff on Emma from Jane Austen.

Yes. That was what started this conversation: odd adaptions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Secret Window. This was good. I especially liked Turturro's performance.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I haven't watched walking dead for a long while. I saw a few episodes of the season after negan and couldn't see the point in continuing so lost it

Seems there's a spin off on amazon. Which from my initial impression is Walking Dead 90210.
I doubt I will watch it beyond episode 1.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Watched the Comey Rule. It's very clearly based on Comey's book - and is his take on events. I think it broadly does validate his own extraordinary self-regard.

It's another thing which I think is a bit muddled. One of the best things about it - because it punctures the self-regard is the role of Rod Rosenstein as the sort of Salieri character. It could have done with more of him (and - actually if there's a character I think a drama about Russia could pivot on it might be him).

But it's kind of worth it because of the performance by Brendan Gleeson as Trump who in the first couple of hours is like something in a horror film - you see glimpses of the hair from behind, everyone's talking about him, there's a shot of him moving like a predator through the Miss World competition. But then I think it's his performance that dominates the last two episodes and is really excellent. Jeff Daniels is good, but ultimately Comey (from Comey's perspective) is just a boringly worthwhile character.

And here's the thing - it feels like you need to lean in to Trump (pure surface and lizard brain) to cover Trump's scandals. This is too American. It's got too much of the seriousness and high-mindedness to deal with a story that has this many mentions of golden showers.

We know the story so I'm sure this won't be a spoiler, but it ends with Comey testifying to the Senate and defending himself and his decisions. Then it does the typical thing of panning round the cast to inform us of their fates: fired, resigned, retired etc. That sort-of hints at the ultimate futility of Comey's testimony, but not quite at the depth of it because here we are three years later with a still real possibility Trump might win again and nothing like an agreed reality of the Russia investigation. So we get the typical resolution of so many American political dramas: the truth-teller telling the truth; the dramatic revalation in front of a packed Congressional hearing. But it just doesn't land.

When I was watching it I was thinking that it goes to that thing of Trump's unlikeness to the other people that are being depicted. I kept on thinking about Il Divo when I was watching this and feeling like Trump's scandals are so grotesque that it needs someone like Paolo Sorrentino - because serious people with furrowed brows talking seriously in wood-paneled rooms isn't a style (of politics or drama) that can deal with Trump.

Edit: And I haven't seen Loro yet so don't know but I feel like that might be the best comparison, because Trump is far more Berlusconi than Andreotti.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2020, 08:38:54 PM
While one could interpret his question in its narrowest most literal form just to be a dick, it was clear he was asking for an example.

While I could answer questions he didn't ask, it was quite clear that he was assuming that I never, in fact, liked a TV show or movie more than the book it was based on.  If he wanted to have an open conversation, he would have asked an open-ended question.  Even you have probably figured out that the likeliest answer to a yes or no question is either yes or no.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on October 02, 2020, 05:03:09 PM
I haven't watched walking dead for a long while. I saw a few episodes of the season after negan and couldn't see the point in continuing so lost it

Seems there's a spin off on amazon. Which from my initial impression is Walking Dead 90210.
I doubt I will watch it beyond episode 1.

Yeah, think it's a YA Walking Dead. Will skip.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

It's not really. Just a regular Walking Dead with different characters.

Edit- disregard. I thought he was talking about the first spinoff, Fear.

Josquius

Grave - French horror. Ish. Film. Dumb. Doesn't really go anywhere or offer many explanations for what is going on. Which is a shame as there could be a nice plot in the whole family cursed to eat human flesh and ruthlessly enforcing vegetarianism on their kids to combat this thing.

I note the main actress seems to have been under 18 when it was made yet there's plenty of full front nudity and graphic sex scenes..... France. 🇫🇷
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

The two popes. Interesting and masterful acing from the geriatrics.

Eddie Teach

Memories of the Alhambra. Melodramatic, full of plot holes and showing complete ignorance of how programs work. But fascinating.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on October 03, 2020, 02:07:28 PM
Grave - French horror. Ish. Film. Dumb. Doesn't really go anywhere or offer many explanations for what is going on. Which is a shame as there could be a nice plot in the whole family cursed to eat human flesh and ruthlessly enforcing vegetarianism on their kids to combat this thing.

I note the main actress seems to have been under 18 when it was made yet there's plenty of full front nudity and graphic sex scenes..... France. 🇫🇷

(Raw) Arty horror shot in Liège with mostly French actors but no notorious Liège accent from the French actors.
If it's about Garance Marillier, she was born in 1998. Movie was released in 2016.
Fell pretty much under the radar here.

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 04, 2020, 12:46:06 AM

(Raw) Arty horror shot in Liège with mostly French actors but no notorious Liège accent from the French actors.
If it's about Garance Marillier, she was born in 1998. Movie was released in 2016.
Fell pretty much under the radar here.

Yeah, that's where I did the maths. It was released in the year she turned 18 so may have been made prior to this.

The one thing I did learn from it is French universities suck and my future children are not to attend one. Had no idea about the American fraternity style hazing thing being so common
██████
██████
██████