And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Also - for the Brits - Ghost Stories was on BBC2 last week and is now on iPlayer.

Strong recommend. It's the most exciting horror genre - British portmanteau :w00t:

Very good - strong recommend. Written by one of the guys from League of Gentleman and gets the right level of creepiness from the banal - pebble-dashed terrace houses, flat-roof pubs etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 12, 2020, 12:56:52 PM
Watching the Amazon Prime re-make of Utopia and it's....fine.

But I just don't really get it. It feels like a missed opportunity because it's basically an okay, high-end glossy American show. Which is fine. But the original had this really distinctive (at the time) visual style. It was a really striking aesthetic - sort of primary colours, dystopia with a Wes Anderson love for slightly sinister symmetries/composition. This is the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gxwIqqzB4

And this has lost that aesthetic. So it's still a good story, and it's well-acted, but it doesn't have a style of its own. On the upside apparently Amazon have already announced the number of episodes so we should get resolution to the story because Channel 4 cancelled it after two series.

Edit: Also the original had a cracking soundtrack - so far the re-make doesn't.

I saw it all for lack of a better thing to watch recently. The main problem for me is that I was way more interested in the plot when the baddies were on screen that when the heroes were. Jessica Hyde is just an asshole, they gave me no reason to root for her.

Have not seen the British original.

Sheilbh

Extra Ordinary on Netflix.

Very strong recommend on this one. An Irish comedy about a driving instructor who is also a psychic and decides to help a local man. It's a wonderful, dead-pan, very sweet performance and some great gags about how little supernatural pop culture this psychic's seen.

A real treat in this is some superb Garth Marenghi style clips of her dad (Vincent Dooley's) guide to dealing with various supernatural phenomenon and some excellent VHS compilation edits.

Edit: Oh and there's a satanic, washed up American pop artist living in the nearby castle. For when she tires of dealing with the more day-to-day Irish ghosts like the man haunting a wheelie bin :lol:

I feel this is going to pick up a cult audience.
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

The Mole: Undercover in North Korea

"A real-life undercover thriller about two ordinary men who embark on an outrageously dangerous ten-year mission to penetrate the world's most secretive and brutal dictatorship: North Korea."

It's an insane and unbelievable story and well worth a watch.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

New Netflix series trailer:

Barbarians (Barbaren)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cA7kwBSUaU

Yes, the story of Varus and Arminius. We all know how it will end. [spoiler]Quintili Vare Legiones red![/spoiler]Expect anachronisms [spoiler]did I see stirrups?[/spoiler]
Some unintended humor "A Barbarian never betrays his people (ironically Arminius would disagree at the very end of his life).
[spoiler]Wonder if Maroboduus will get his side of the story[spoiler] Did I see Segestes?
[spoiler]Germania Tota? I thought this was only till the Elbe  :hmm: Artistic license? Hubris?[/spoiler]
ROMANS SPEAK LATIN! Germans speak, well, nowadays German.

Speaking of which, I still have not seen the second season of Britannia, first season entertaining in its own right though hardly historical. I hope for a bit more historicity though I expect events to be messed up [spoiler]will the contemporary Illyrian revolt be referred?[/spoiler]
If it works, second season with Germanicus?  :hmm:

Syt

Netflix is launching an animated show about Greek mythology, "Blood of Zeus."

I like Twitter reactions to the "You're the son of Zeus" line in the trailer.

"Can you be more specific?"
"You have no idea how little that means!"
Etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 13, 2020, 04:21:47 AM

Yes, the story of Varus and Arminius. We all know how it will end.

I thought I knew about the Trojan War before watching Troy  :lol:

The Latin/German combo sounds very odd, they could at least have used some form of Old German or Frankish.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on October 13, 2020, 05:08:01 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 13, 2020, 04:21:47 AM

Yes, the story of Varus and Arminius. We all know how it will end.

I thought I knew about the Trojan War before watching Troy  :lol:

The Latin/German combo sounds very odd, they could at least have used some form of Old German or Frankish.

Points for not being Ecclesiastical Latin though. I guess Rreally old German or Frankish would have necessitated some kind of post-sync by the few experts available.

Josephus

Six episodes into Bly Manor, still rather disappointed. Too much backstory, flashbacks and exposition. I think the source material is too limited for a nine-episode arc, and the writers are throwing the kitchen sink at it. This results in less creepiness, more tediousness. Even if the last two episodes are scary as fuck, as I keep hearing, it likely, for me, won't make up for this. Hill House, by comparison was thrilling and engaging from the get-go. This one just plods.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Yeah, I find myself zoning out and looking at my phone with Bly Manor. Which means I am probably missing the few moments that matter.
Its also weird with quite how posh and artificial everyone is.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2020, 08:59:54 AM
Yeah, I find myself zoning out and looking at my phone with Bly Manor. Which means I am probably missing the few moments that matter.
Its also weird with quite how posh and artificial everyone is.
Yeah I have struggled with it because I couldn't tell if that's how some writer thought posh English kids spoke or if the kids were meant to be sort of arch and ironic.

It's a weird tone that I don't think quite works.
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Finished Bly Manor and it's great. It has its weird moments and choices and is more creepy/eerie than scary but it all comes together rather splendidly in the end.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on October 13, 2020, 11:10:32 AM
It all comes together rather splendidly in the end.

As I said, i keep hearing that. And I'll watch it to the end; but it's a struggle getting there.As Tyr said, I found myself flipping through my phone through a whole conversation the other day. It's not gripping me.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011