News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I'm thinking about watching Boardwalk Empire. Are there any hot chicks in there?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on October 18, 2020, 03:24:56 PM
I'm thinking about watching Boardwalk Empire. Are there any hot chicks in there?

If you like big boobed Latinexa chicks with thick outerborough accents.

viper37

Yes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 18, 2020, 02:56:17 PM
I'd say that all the parts that deal strictly with the war are quite good (inaccuracies notwithstanding), but the central plot dealing about Unamuno and his philosophical and political waverings really isn't.

Helas.  The period details looked really good (i.e. the uniforms of the Legion, the army, the Moroccans, and the one Phalangist dude) and Franco is a dead fucking ringer.

It may not be strictly historical, but I was thinking to myself how much potential a scene in which a Nationalist fixer (Suner?) tries to convince Unamuno (who incidentally sounds like sushi) to toe the party line would have.  I was reminded of the line by I forget who (Orson Welles?) to always give your villains the best lines.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 18, 2020, 03:31:18 PM

If you like big boobed Latinexa chicks with thick outerborough accents.

Gretchen Mol is the hottest one on the show.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on October 18, 2020, 09:30:01 PM

Brief cameo and no naughty bits, no?  My memory is fuzzy.

Oh yeah, the hostess at the restaurant is pretty hott.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 18, 2020, 09:37:29 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 18, 2020, 09:30:01 PM

Brief cameo and no naughty bits, no?  My memory is fuzzy.

Oh yeah, the hostess at the restaurant is pretty hott.

She was a major player throughout.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Yeah, and multiple nude scenes IIRC.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on October 17, 2020, 09:24:55 PM
I remember that.  Interesting show :)

It's available in blu-ray in France and Japan (no French linguistic options unsurprisingly), very good quality since they managed to get proper HD sources, unlike most of the cartoons coming from Toei (from Goldorak to Sailor Moon).
Seems Region-B locked, I have not tested the region though.

Josephus

Yes a couple at least. Gretchen Mol and Paz de la Huerta.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

I decided that Kelly McDonald was my ideal of Irish* beauty after watching that show too.

*I know she isn't Irish, but she plays one in the show and that's enough for my fantasies  :P

Tamas

Boardwalk Empire is worth watching just be prepared of big swings of quality in episodes especially after the first season. It just petered out for me after a while never got to the end of it, but still enjoyed the ride.

Agreed on Kelly Mcdonald and her Irish accent as well.  :D

celedhring

The first time I fell in love with a filmic Irish woman she was a fake, too (Natasha McElhone in Ronin). I guess it's a trend.  :D

Josephus

They both have "Mc" in their last name, so that gives them a bit of street cred, no?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011