And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2020, 07:55:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 07:50:19 PM
It could very well be that my knowledge of British names handed down American bigotry might not be entirely correct. :hmm:
:lol: Also there is something to the mythical man at Ellis Island just making up immigrants' new family names. You don't have to go very far back to find multiple people in the same family with different spellings of the same Mc/Mac surname.

Very few Scots or Irish immigrants came through Ellis Island though. That is really late in American history.

But point taken. Some people might have moved over here calling themselves MacDougal and eventually it was spelled McDougal just because illiteracy and the fact that having definite spellings for things is kind of an new-ish deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2020, 07:37:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 11:18:05 AM
Scotland is Mac, Ireland is Mc for future reference :P
I don't think that's right. Mc is just a contraction of Mac and you get both in both countries, but Mc is definitely more common in Ireland.

It could very well be that my knowledge of British names handed down American bigotry might not be entirely correct. :hmm:

Though my mother's family was McDaniel and I asked grandfather where our family was from and he said "well it is Mc so probably Ireland" and he was right. Antrim County Ireland.  But that might have been just luck :P

Yes. the odds are that Mcs are Irish and Macs are Scottish, but it's not exclusive.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Gups

I don't think that's right. Mc is just a contraction of Mac and you get both in both countries, but Mc is definitely more common in Ireland.

Though my mother's family was McDaniel and I asked grandfather where our family was from and he said "well it is Mc so probably Ireland" and he was right. Antrim County Ireland.  But that might have been just luck :P

That goes to show. McDaniel is a Scottish name, but some of them migrated to Ulster

Valmy

McDaniel is actually neither a Scottish nor Irish name as it turned out. Or at least our version of it. It is an Americanization of MacDonnel, which was the actual name.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Is anything real in this world? Or is it just illusions upon mirages upon lies?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2020, 06:22:57 AM

Yes. the odds are that Mcs are Irish and Macs are Scottish, but it's not exclusive.

Mic Mac Paddywack - followed by Brain's favourite verse.

Tonitrus

I taught a class with one Scotsman...name was MacDonald.  :P

Grey Fox

My grand mother's maiden name was Wallace. Afaik, she wasn't Scottish.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

I am mildly obsessed with Daniel Kaluuya's commitment to a "darker" live-action adaptation of Barney.

Yes, the purple dinosaur.

QuoteBlack Panther star Daniel Kaluuya hints at 'heartbreaking' darker take on live action Barney movie
Sarah Deen
Wednesday 21 Oct 2020 8:56 am

Daniel Kaluuya's Barney movie will be a 'heartbreaking' take on the kids' TV character.

The Get Out star is producing the live action film with his production company 59% and toy makers Mattel.

He hinted that there might be a darker side to the project and wants to bring 'something unexpected'.

He previously said he wanted to explore what happened to Barney, a big purple dinosaur, when he 'disappeared into the shadows' once his fans grew up.

Asked by Entertainment Weekly what drew him to the project, the British actor explained: 'Barney taught us, "I love you, you love me. Won't you say you love me too?" That's one of the first songs I remember, and what happens when that isn't true? I thought that was really heartbreaking.

'I have no idea why but it feels like that makes sense. It feels like there's something unexpected that can be poignant but optimistic. Especially at this time now, I think that's really, really needed.'

Sounds like play time is over for Barney, we can only hope his friends Baby Bop BJ and Riff fared better.

Barney & Friends, about a toy dinosaur who grew in size and came to life through the power of imagination, ran from 1992 to 2009.

Robbie Brenner from Mattel Films said: 'Working with Daniel Kaluuya will enable us to take a completely new approach to Barney that will surprise audiences and subvert expectations.'

Meanwhile Daniel will be starring in something much more adult, playing Black Panther chairman Fred Hampton in Judas and the Black Messiah, who was shot and killed by police in 1969 at 21-years-old.

He is also producing and starring in Netflix movie The Upper World, which tells the story of Esso, who can see into the past and future.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Surely it's a joke.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2020, 05:15:11 AM
I am mildly obsessed with Daniel Kaluuya's commitment to a "darker" live-action adaptation of Barney.

Yes, the purple dinosaur.

:unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

I finally watched "Spider Man - Into the Spiderverse" recently, and I can say that it certainly surpassed my expectations. Not only it was a really well done superhero movie, with both plenty of funny bits but also seriously dramatic moments as well. And visually it was simply stunning, not just in the more fantastic moments but also in the more down to earth ones. I really hope we get more stories of this kind in the future.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 21, 2020, 07:41:12 AM
I finally watched "Spider Man - Into the Spiderverse" recently, and I can say that it certainly surpassed my expectations. Not only it was a really well done superhero movie, with both plenty of funny bits but also seriously dramatic moments as well. And visually it was simply stunning, not just in the more fantastic moments but also in the more down to earth ones. I really hope we get more stories of this kind in the future.

That film is fantastic. It probably redeems the entire Marvel universe just by existing.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2020, 07:44:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 21, 2020, 07:41:12 AM

That film is fantastic. It probably redeems the entire Marvel universe just by existing.

And it brings out a net positive out of the "multiple dimensions" narrative gimmick, which I hate.  :P

Eddie Teach

The Trial of the Chicago Seven. Another instance of British actors stealing American jobs.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 21, 2020, 04:10:13 PM
The Trial of the Chicago Seven. Another instance of British actors stealing American jobs.  :mad:

I don't get the Walking Dead franchise. Why so many Brits in that?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011