News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2020, 07:24:17 AM
I decided that Kelly McDonald was my ideal of Irish* beauty after watching that show too.

*I know she isn't Irish, but she plays one in the show and that's enough for my fantasies  :P

She is Scottish, ergo her name would never be spelled McDonald. It is Kelly MacDonald.

Scotland is Mac, Ireland is Mc for future reference :P

Which is why the slur for Irish people in 19th Century America was "Mick" and the slur for Scottish people was "Mack". American bigots make it easy to remember.

Quote from: Josephus on October 19, 2020, 08:26:22 AM
They both have "Mc" in their last name, so that gives them a bit of street cred, no?

Except they don't :contract:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 11:18:05 AM
Which is why the slur for Irish people in 19th Century America was "Mick" and the slur for Scottish people was "Mack". American bigots make it easy to remember.

Are the Micmacs a mix of Micks and Macks?

celedhring

That's indeed a rather good mnemotecnic rule. I'll use it but not tell anyone I do.  :ph34r:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on October 19, 2020, 11:47:13 AM

Are the Micmacs a mix of Micks and Macks?

Not in this case:

Eddie Teach

Ok, a brief look at Scottish parliament shows 16 mcs and only 7 macs. :blurgh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

It's no guarantee. There are about twice as many Macs in Scotland as there are Mcs and vice versa in Ireland. Mc is just a contraction of Mac

The Brain

The Scots are Irish anyway. :pictpower:

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 19, 2020, 06:38:00 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 17, 2020, 09:24:55 PM
I remember that.  Interesting show :)

It's available in blu-ray in France and Japan (no French linguistic options unsurprisingly), very good quality since they managed to get proper HD sources, unlike most of the cartoons coming from Toei (from Goldorak to Sailor Moon).
Seems Region-B locked, I have not tested the region though.
not THAT interesting though :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on October 19, 2020, 02:09:28 PM
The Scots are Irish anyway. :pictpower:

Some would have a bone to pict with you over that description.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

This is not a good woad to go down.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

You guys won't get away with this discussion scot-free.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

I don't think that's right. Mc is just a contraction of Mac and you get both in both countries, but Mc is definitely more common in Ireland.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2020, 07:37:29 PM
I don't think that's right. Mc is just a contraction of Mac and you get both in both countries, but Mc is definitely more common in Ireland.

It could very well be that my knowledge of British names handed down American bigotry might not be entirely correct. :hmm:

Though my mother's family was McDaniel and I asked grandfather where our family was from and he said "well it is Mc so probably Ireland" and he was right. Antrim County Ireland.  But that might have been just luck :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 07:50:19 PM
It could very well be that my knowledge of British names handed down American bigotry might not be entirely correct. :hmm:
:lol: Also there is something to the mythical man at Ellis Island just making up immigrants' new family names. You don't have to go very far back to find multiple people in the same family with different spellings of the same Mc/Mac surname.
Let's bomb Russia!