News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

So my final word on Bly Manor, having just finished it.

Meh. 4 out of 10. Lacked the tightness of Hill House. There were no scares in this one, and just too slow to be creepy scary. Too much dialogue. Too much exposition. One episode before the last is a complete backstory with all new characters. It just wasn't suspenseful enough for me.

If you liked the crux of the story, the bit set from Henry James' Turn of the Screw, I highly recommend The Innocents from 1961( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055018/). A young governess for two children becomes convinced that the house and grounds are haunted

Gonna try that Russian Lake thing next.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Odd, I found this one more creepy than Hill House. In fact, I never even finished Hill House as I found it very dull.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

*VALMY KLAXON*

I just spotted on Netflix a new show called La Revolution - "In a reimagined history, a mysterious disease besets 18th century France, culminating in a brutal clash between rebels and the aristocracy." Which may be of interest.

Of course I just want a multi-series dramatisation of the revolution and, no doubt, even in this "reimagined" history they will find a way to slander Robespierre <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 16, 2020, 07:31:52 AM
*VALMY KLAXON*

I just spotted on Netflix a new show called La Revolution - "In a reimagined history, a mysterious disease besets 18th century France, culminating in a brutal clash between rebels and the aristocracy." Which may be of interest.

Of course I just want a multi-series dramatisation of the revolution and, no doubt, even in this "reimagined" history they will find a way to slander Robespierre <_<
French remake of Kingdom?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Will there be silly hats?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Syt

*braces for another disappointment*

Jason Momoa was a great fit for Conan, too bad the movie really sucked after the first half hour or so.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 16, 2020, 07:31:52 AM
*VALMY KLAXON*

Ooooooh....merci!

Danton better be leading rebels into battle!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Just an FYI, but this show seems to have vampires.  :wacko:

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on October 16, 2020, 01:28:55 PM

Are the Bourbons vampires? Artois kind of looked like one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Good. Good.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

From the plot outline I was afraid it would be zombies. I was already bored of zombies five years ago.

Eddie Teach

They could be zombielike vampires. It's been done.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 16, 2020, 03:31:54 PM
They could be zombielike vampires. It's been done.

Then it's not very revolutionary.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.