News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

From the trailer my initial guess of a western remake of kingdom is very off. Doesn't seem too monstery at all. Lots of talk of a behind the scenes vampire elite rather.
I think we will watch it. I need to watch more Froganese stuff.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Here's the trailer for "La Révolution", if you want to check it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsxWB4IDTrs

It's not 100% clear that there are vampires on it, but there's surely something "off" going on.

Eddie Teach

The bit where the contessa's lover gets executed for it doesn't ring true at all. This is France we're talking about.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Only a true vampire would deny its own vampirity.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

tried watching it, first episode slow but has possibilities, couldn't get through the second episode - it was even slower.  If someone can break through and determines it is worth watching after all, please let me know.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on October 16, 2020, 04:14:48 PM
Here's the trailer for "La Révolution", if you want to check it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsxWB4IDTrs

It's not 100% clear that there are vampires on it, but there's surely something "off" going on.

That looks...really bad.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on October 16, 2020, 04:14:48 PM

When I heard "Les damnés de la Terre" I felt disappointed they did not start an anachronistic Internationale singing (first verse of the French version of the chant with only Debout added).

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on October 16, 2020, 03:48:32 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 16, 2020, 03:31:54 PM
They could be zombielike vampires. It's been done.

Then it's not very revolutionary.

Hopefully they're decapitating zombielike vampires. I mean...it is the French Revolution
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 16, 2020, 07:31:52 AM
Of course I just want a multi-series dramatisation of the revolution and, no doubt, even in this "reimagined" history they will find a way to slander Robespierre <_<

:huh:  You can't slander Robespierre.  It's like trying to slander Charles Manson; the reputation cannot be further damaged.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Well, Robespierre and Saint-Just already got the anime treatment, the former described as a devious schemer and the latter as a ninja-style assassin.  :lol:
That's Lady Oscar or the Rose of Versailles, for those interested. An animé intended for girls yet may boys watched it for some reason.  :P

PS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPRtb1ePDfg

There is far worse in the series actually.

viper37

I remember that.  Interesting show :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

If you're in the US, and have Amazon Prime, remember to watch a completely underrated Sci-Fi sequel before the end of the month: "Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan". Not sure if you hear of it.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/scifi-movies-on-hulu-leaving-october-2020-star-trek

QuoteYOU NEED TO WATCH THE MOST UNDERRATED SCI-FI SEQUEL ON AMAZON PRIME ASAP
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

The most underrated sci-fi sequel is clearly Empire Strikes Back.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Hey Celery, have you seen Mientras Dure La Guerra?  Any good?  Just saw a clip on youtube.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 18, 2020, 02:36:18 PM
Hey Celery, have you seen Mientras Dure La Guerra?  Any good?  Just saw a clip on youtube.

I'd say that all the parts that deal strictly with the war are quite good (inaccuracies notwithstanding), but the central plot dealing about Unamuno and his philosophical and political waverings really isn't.