News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2020, 04:52:42 PM
I paid more attention to his explanations than to his ratings.

That is not the Navy way! :angry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Yesterday I watched "Royal Hearts", an awful Hallmark movie about Hank, a Texas rancher, who inherits the throne of Merania, a fictional central European nation. The plot, besides obvious fish out of water jokes and movie Texans trying to do things like movie Texans do things, revolves around a neighboring country trying to undermine Hank's rule and take over Merania, claiming both nations used to be a single country centuries ago. Also, Hank's daughter meets a hunky European stable boy. The film is directed by and stars James Brolin.

The "American inherits the throne of European nation" subgenre fascinates me.

Eddie Teach

Only one I can think of is King Ralph.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

The Princess Diaries comes to mind.

Gups

Very impressed by the first episode of the Queen's Gambit on Netflix (book is great too)

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2020, 04:10:07 AM
Yesterday I watched "Royal Hearts", an awful Hallmark movie about Hank, a Texas rancher, who inherits the throne of Merania, a fictional central European nation. The plot, besides obvious fish out of water jokes and movie Texans trying to do things like movie Texans do things, revolves around a neighboring country trying to undermine Hank's rule and take over Merania, claiming both nations used to be a single country centuries ago. Also, Hank's daughter meets a hunky European stable boy. The film is directed by and stars James Brolin.

Do the locals all speak English with posh accents?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on October 26, 2020, 05:52:48 AM

Do the locals all speak English with posh accents?

Of course they do. In particular the villainous king of the neighboring kingdom.

The Brain

What's the deal with neighboring kingdoms anyway? Why are they always jerks?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2020, 08:42:02 AM
What's the deal with neighboring kingdoms anyway? Why are they always jerks?

Just replace the fictional country with Denmark or Norway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

We're only one plane crash away from making it happen.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 26, 2020, 05:01:35 AM
Only one I can think of is King Ralph.

There are actually a weird number of variations on that theme. Not exactly inheriting the crown but getting mixed up in obscure royal family in obscure European English speaking country somehow.

Prisoner of Zenda (which is an Englishman who is coincidentally identical to the king of small European Nation) is kind of the pregenitor I think.

Well then there is also how Albert Fairfax, a Marylander, discovered he was actually a titled Scottish nobleman and returned to the UK and took his place in the House of Lords.  So we do kind of have one example of where that actually happened. Some American discovered that he was in fact the rightful heir to something and went back to do his aristocratic thing late in his life. Not exactly King of Ruritania though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 26, 2020, 02:51:04 PM
Does Duck Soup count?

That crossed my mind, but Groucho was appointed President, not a hereditary leader.  Besides I don't think it was specified that Groucho wasn't from Freedonia anyways.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2020, 01:49:19 PM
Well then there is also how Albert Fairfax, a Marylander, discovered he was actually a titled Scottish nobleman and returned to the UK and took his place in the House of Lords.  So we do kind of have one example of where that actually happened. Some American discovered that he was in fact the rightful heir to something and went back to do his aristocratic thing late in his life. Not exactly King of Ruritania though.
His grandson's back in the House of Lords - won a recent hereditary peers by-election.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 26, 2020, 03:50:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2020, 01:49:19 PM
His grandson's back in the House of Lords - won a recent hereditary peers by-election.

I thought you got a seat automatically if you were a peer. WTF UK. :(