News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Giri/Haji- this is a very very good series. Amazing it's made by BBC though as its the opposite to what I expected. An adventure of Japanese people in the UK rather than the Brit being a fish out of water in Japan. Seems to have just as much (more?) Japanese dialogue as English. 2 eps off the end now and sad to hear there was meant to be a series 2 but nobody will pay for it.
I really wonder about the production story of this one. Seems to not be a British /Japanese Co production.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on November 02, 2020, 03:26:18 PM
Giri/Haji- this is a very very good series. Amazing it's made by BBC though as its the opposite to what I expected. An adventure of Japanese people in the UK rather than the Brit being a fish out of water in Japan. Seems to have just as much (more?) Japanese dialogue as English. 2 eps off the end now and sad to hear there was meant to be a series 2 but nobody will pay for it.
I really wonder about the production story of this one. Seems to not be a British /Japanese Co production.

Can't speak for this particular production, but in the past BBC has happily jumped into foreign productions when they include a British element. Heck, "let's put a brit in this and try to rope in BBC" was a common trick to try to raise money for Spanish productions in the 2010s  :lol:

Liep

The Undoing. First two episodes are out and it seems like a good classic whodunnit. Nicole Kidman nearly accomplishes acting emotions without the use of a functioning face, impressive.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Dang, Queen's Gambit has hour long episodes.  Will need to readjust my brain.

Eddie Teach

:unsure: That's the usual length for dramas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 02, 2020, 03:26:18 PM
It's so good and I am furious that we won't get a second series.

I don't think the production is that linked to Japan - I think it's BBC and Netflix. The writer is a British guy - I think he said it sort of started because his girlfriend was doing a crime science course and there was a middle aged detective from Tokyo on the coures. I've no doubt they hired Japanese researchers to make sure things work or not.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Nerd alert! Dude analyzes the correctness of the latin spoken in the Netflix show "Barbarians".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7uBUCZgpw8&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=pol%C3%BDMATHY

TLDW: According to him it's actually pretty good.

Duque de Bragança

That was my feeling as well (ciceronian/classical restored pronunciation vs church pronunciation), but he really goes into detail.

Josephus

Apart from the Latin, is it any good?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on November 03, 2020, 08:02:04 AM

Not really. To be frank I just watched the first couple eps though, because I was curious about the spoken latin.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: celedhring on November 03, 2020, 08:18:16 AM

Not really. To be frank I just watched the first couple eps though, because I was curious about the spoken latin.

I suspected so (that it's not very good) so will skip. Thanks for the advice.

From the latest on Netflix, I enjoyed La Révolution somewhat, although my perception may have been skewed by it being in French. I'm learning the language and was intently focused on the dialogues.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on November 03, 2020, 08:18:16 AM

thanks for the tip.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on November 03, 2020, 05:55:56 AM
Nerd alert! Dude analyzes the correctness of the latin spoken in the Netflix show "Barbarians".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7uBUCZgpw8&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=pol%C3%BDMATHY

TLDW: According to him it's actually pretty good.

That is smart of the show. Even if it sucks it might remain a popular tool for Classics courses around the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

I'm watching Pacific Rim. Alaska gets an alarm about an 8700 ton beast. I... um... :zipped:  :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

The Widow. Kate Beckinsale does some amateur sleuthing in the Congo. It's a good watch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?