News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Been watching Servant at Apple+ through Halloween. Creepy and interesting enough. It's produced by Shyalaman but written by somebody else.

Josquius

I watched the final countdown. I've known of this film many years but never actually saw it. Quite good for a military wank film where the promised battle doesn't actually occur. I think I knew that was going to happen. But disappointing nonetheless.
As an aside, don't want to sound arrogant as heaven knows I'm not much better... But I can't help but be really annoyed by the horrible accents of the Japanese people. The Japanese American guy especially is clearly just some Chinese dude reading a script.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I am told that happens a lot with spoken Polish in movies.

Hungarian is much more rare and not too bad. The guy in the Usual Suspects I remember sounds like proper Hungarian just maybe somebody who did not speak the language regularly for a while.

The British actors in Tailor Tinker Soldier Spy make an admirable effort of playing British agents who speak Hungarian, I appreciate the effort, but of course in the real world they could not blend in even for  a second with such extreme accents.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on November 01, 2020, 07:02:23 PM
The British actors in Tailor Tinker Soldier Spy make an admirable effort of playing British agents who speak Hungarian, I appreciate the effort, but of course in the real world they could not blend in even for  a second with such extreme accents.
It's the same when American actors speak French in a movie.  They're often good at it, but there's no way they'd pass for a native French speaker.  It's extremely hard to master a 2nd or a 3rd language without an accent.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

Matt Damon had a few lines of very good Dutch in one of the Bourne films. Native English speakers probably have particularly hard time getting rid of their accent when speaking Dutch, but he does it very well.

Sheilbh

Just listened to a very good episode of In Our Time about Alan Turing and I am, once again, unreasonably furious about The Imitation Game.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2020, 05:36:48 AM
Just listened to a very good episode of In Our Time about Alan Turing and I am, once again, unreasonably furious about The Imitation Game.

Those "great man" oscar bait biopics are all awful. I wouldn't get worked up about them.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 02, 2020, 06:37:51 AM
Those "great man" oscar bait biopics are all awful. I wouldn't get worked up about them.
:lol:

I know - they are all awful. But it just annoys me that they entirely invented the spy story between him and the Cambridge spy where he gets blackmailed. It didn't happen, and it actually reinforces one of the narratives that actually hurt Turing about gay men being security risks <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

In Hollywood, Swede plays you. Foreign actors portraying people who are supposed to speak Swedish well isn't extremely common I think, at least few come to mind right now. I vaguely recall some atrocious B movie crap, but that was B movies.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2020, 06:52:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 02, 2020, 06:37:51 AM
:lol:

I know - they are all awful. But it just annoys me that they entirely invented the spy story between him and the Cambridge spy where he gets blackmailed. It didn't happen, and it actually reinforces one of the narratives that actually hurt Turing about gay men being security risks <_<

I was annoyed at how all the shit he had to go through after the war was a mere afterthought in the film, mostly relegated to a caption - which stressed how his legacy has been reabilitated since. EVERYTHING HAS TO BE A FEELGOOD STORY.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 02, 2020, 07:09:26 AM
I was annoyed at how all the shit he had to go through after the war was a mere afterthought in the film, mostly relegated to a caption - which stressed how his legacy has been reabilitated since. EVERYTHING HAS TO BE A FEELGOOD STORY.
Yeah. And there's two annoying things about that because he committed suicide a year after the conviction so it wasn't directly linked but was something he'd considered before since the 20s (he also went into Jungian psychotherapy to try and become bisexual so he could have a family life) - it's almost more damning and wider than just the chemical castration treatment causing his suicide.

Plus, which I didn't know, he was at that point in his life starting up a new research group at the University of Manchester and actually pioneering mathematical biology which was a very new/interesting feeling. They do make all that an afterthought as you say - and I actually think there's almost a more interesting story in those last years. Starting a research in an entirely new field, having known every secret in the core of the Anglo-American alliance, been a huge part of the war and not allowed to say anything, plus the consequences of those long-term issues social attitudes to homosexuality.

They also quoted some of his letters to friends and I don't think he was just Sherlock. The letters just sounded quite camp and very bitchy - it probably goes against how we like our geniuses but would have been interesting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

That could make for an interesting alternative version of the film. Offensively stereotypical camp gay Turning amidst the stodgy scientists.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I'd like to hear more about mathematical biology.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2020, 07:20:02 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 02, 2020, 07:09:26 AM

Plus, which I didn't know, he was at that point in his life starting up a new research group at the University of Manchester and actually pioneering mathematical biology which was a very new/interesting feeling. They do make all that an afterthought as you say - and I actually think there's almost a more interesting story in those last years. Starting a research in an entirely new field, having known every secret in the core of the Anglo-American alliance, been a huge part of the war and not allowed to say anything, plus the consequences of those long-term issues social attitudes to homosexuality.

Absolutely. We are culturally trained to tell stories that finish at the "peak" which is ok when you're doing fiction (Star Wars ends with the Death Star blowing up and everybody getting a medal), but that kinda doesn't work that well when you're telling a real story. So somebody looks at Turing's life story and probably gets fixated on the "he helped win WWII!" part, and everything that comes afterward is an epilogue.

The greatest biopic ever made is probably Raging Bull, and it doesn't end when he wins the championship.

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on November 01, 2020, 07:02:23 PM
I am told that happens a lot with spoken Polish in movies.

Hungarian is much more rare and not too bad. The guy in the Usual Suspects I remember sounds like proper Hungarian just maybe somebody who did not speak the language regularly for a while.

I was in Poland once, and sitting in my hotel room I was flipping channels and came across an episode of MASH dubbed in Polish. But the cool thing was, one dude was doing all the voices, including the womens'
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011