News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Designated Survivor.

Easy to watch, on Netflix, not good but not terrible either. Well, it did finish the season with a terrible cliffhanger and I won't bother with the show anymore.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Wait so they are making another Dune? As a movie?

Huh. I thought it worked much better as a miniseries.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Liep on December 21, 2016, 03:11:51 PM
Designated Survivor.

Easy to watch, on Netflix, not good but not terrible either. Well, it did finish the season with a terrible cliffhanger and I won't bother with the show anymore.

Let's not kid ourselves. It is pretty terrible.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on December 21, 2016, 06:47:26 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 21, 2016, 03:11:51 PM
Designated Survivor.

Let's not kid ourselves. It is pretty terrible.

Yeah. I think I just wanted it to be at least decent.

FunkMonk

Finished The Man in the High Castle.

Rufus Sewell and the two main Japanese actors really carry the show.

Season 2 was better than Season 1 in pretty much every respect.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 21, 2016, 04:33:36 PM
Wait so they are making another Dune? As a movie?

Huh. I thought it worked much better as a miniseries.
Yes on both count, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt.  So far his Hollywood work has been pretty good.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 20, 2016, 05:11:11 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2016, 02:24:06 PM
I get you're not a fan of his Canadian movies? Can't say I have seen any of his pre-Hollywood work besides Enemy.

I think vip is more a fan of genre movies with clear narrative components. Villeneuve began his career with studies of character psychology.

I'll also add that it's something Villeneuve alluded to himself, but the long part seemed to have been cut by Tout le Monde en Parle's cissors master after the interview.  He said that we (Quebec) had a lot to learn from Americans on how to build a good story.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Netflix Spain has released all seasons of Deep Space Nine. Until now, only season 1 was ever broadcast over here.

Does it hold up?

Syt

If you can get through the frst 2 or 3 seasons, yes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on December 22, 2016, 07:12:44 AM
Netflix Spain has released all seasons of Deep Space Nine. Until now, only season 1 was ever broadcast over here.

Does it hold up?
as Syt says.  Most of the season 1 episodes are pretty boring.  Season 2 is a tad better.  Season 3 starts getting good by the end, when they get the Defiant.  Season 4,5,6,7 is where the action is.  There are still a couple of boring episodes along the way though.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 22, 2016, 07:14:28 AM
If you can get through the frst 2 or 3 seasons, yes.

I'm very slowly going through DS9 - just mid-way through season one.  It scratches a "Ster Trek" itch, though I do recall that the show picked up a lot of steam once it got into more multi-episode storylines.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

I quit watching halfway through season 1 a few years ago. No Star Trek itch to scratch, I guess.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: viper37 on December 22, 2016, 10:01:00 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 22, 2016, 07:12:44 AM

Does it hold up?
as Syt says.  Most of the season 1 episodes are pretty boring.  Season 2 is a tad better.  Season 3 starts getting good by the end, when they get the Defiant.  Season 4,5,6,7 is where the action is.  There are still a couple of boring episodes along the way though.

This is pretty much right. The later seasons of DS9 are star trek at its best though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

It also has the best Star Trek villain (although it gets weird in the last season)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.