News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I was pleasantly surprised. Very well done, very un-Star Wars like.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

I thought the last 30 minutes were the best 30 minutes of Star Wars since 1983. Those three-ring extravaganza climatic battles are a trademark of the series and few have been so exhilarating.

Pity the rest of the film feels just like filler in order to get to that place, and the characters barely register. [spoiler]The whole Saw Guerrera arc was utterly pointless for example.[/spoiler]

So I think TFA is overall the better film, yet I wasn't blown away by any segment in TFA like I was by Rogue One's climax.

FunkMonk

Season 2 of the Trumpenreich documentary The Man in the High Castle is pretty good so far. Very realistic portrayal of the events leading up to the Trumpenfuhrer's rise.

My favorite characters are still the two main Japanese guys.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Was disappointed with Hail Caesar . Not very funny. Expected more.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on December 17, 2016, 12:34:16 PM
Was disappointed with Hail Caesar . Not very funny. Expected more.

Indeed; I don't know why, but was expecting something in the vain of 'Oh Brother'.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on December 17, 2016, 02:07:33 PM
Indeed; I don't know why, but was expecting something in the vain of 'Oh Brother'.  :(

Perhaps because both were Coen brothers movies starring George Clooney.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Eye in the Sky. Taut, well done thriller. Arguably the main dilemma posed in the film, is unlikely to be such a dilemma in real life, but that aside, enjoyed it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Suicide Squad. Feels like wasted potential, like most superhero movies these days.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 17, 2016, 02:10:17 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 17, 2016, 02:07:33 PM

Perhaps because both were Coen brothers movies starring George Clooney.  ;)

Well, it's the same kind of loosely plotted, somewhat whimsical, Coen Brothers comedy. It just doesn't gel into much. There are still some funny scenes though, the rendez-vous with the Soviet submarine was great.

CountDeMoney

So I finally got around to Deadpool.  Why cant more superhero movies be like this?

Syt

The last Star Wars Rebels episode was very decent again (as are most episodes that deal with the mysteries of the Force). Darth Maul made a return, and so did Dathomir and Nightsister magic.

Additionally, Ezra now knows that the key to defeating the Sith lies with Obi-Wan Kenobi on a desert world with twin suns. Incidentally, Maul is also looking for Obi-Wan to take revenge.

Other plot points: Maul had a shrine in the Nightsister temple for the Mandalorian Darkblade. In the Clone Wars he killed Duchess Satine of Mandalore with it, and continued to use after he and his brother took power on Mandalore (though they were ousted by Palpatine shortly after). After this episode, Sabine Wren (herself Mandalorian) has picked up the blade.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Dang, seems I missed most of Filmmuseum's "Dismal Technology: Sci-Fi and Melancholia 1968-1983" series:
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Boy and His Dog
A Clockwork Orange
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Blade Runner
Colossus: The Forbin Project
Coma
Dark Star
Glen and Randa
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
Silent Running
Soylent Green
The Andromeda Strain
The China Syndrome
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Terminal Man
The Towering Inferno
THX 1138
Videodrome
World on a Wire
Westworld

OTOH, I think I've found my Christmas movie playlist.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on December 19, 2016, 05:53:25 AM
Dang, seems I missed most of Filmmuseum's "Dismal Technology: Sci-Fi and Melancholia 1968-1983" series:

What, no The Omega Man?

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

It's just not a post-apocalyptic camping trip without another Chuck Heston tossed onto the fire.  :)