News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2016, 02:36:43 PM
He should have been more insistent that the variability of wind rendered the invasion plan unrealistic. :nerd:

Friki.

Eddie Teach

The kind you don't take home to mother?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2016, 03:12:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uee_mcxvrw&
Man, it's been forever since I've seen a Die Antwoord video.  Brings back memories.  Haha
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

derspiess

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 20, 2016, 07:43:48 AM
So far, for me, the bad guys are a lot more interesting than the good guys, but that was also the case in the first season.

They do a pretty good job of making the bad guys interesting.  I mean they're evil and support but still love their families.  And I'm still not sure what they want us to think about Joe Blake.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2016, 02:24:06 PM
I get you're not a fan of his Canadian movies? Can't say I have seen any of his pre-Hollywood work besides Enemy.

I think vip is more a fan of genre movies with clear narrative components. Villeneuve began his career with studies of character psychology.

Un 32 août sur terre is forgettable. It was weirdly part of a bunch of very similar Quebec movies coming out at the same time.

Maelstrom, however, did make a (little) splash. It was unconventional, and (I think) may remain original today. (haven't seen it in a while; made some mark on me then).

Incendies is very good. Based on a very strong play.

I haven't seen Polytechnique, which is a B&W movie based on a traumatic event - a shooter who killed 14 women at Montreal's Polytechnique School of Engineering, in 1989. Comments I have heard on the movie from friends have been heavily mediated by said friends' relation to the actual events (i.e, whether they remembered it/were learning about it/were actually on campus that day, etc.).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

I had the idea that the only reason Hateful Eight was made is because someone invented a new projectile vomiting stunt device, showed it to Tarentino and told him he should include it in one of his movies.

Josquius

Supergirl- The TV series. First 2 episodes. Well this is awful. Its aimed at kids right? Its all very....yes, silly is the best word.

Young Pope- I watched the first episode. Its very discordant, hard to follow at points. And oh so very long. Not sure I'll keep watching. Sure, the last speech was OK but they took a long while to get there.

Spectre- Cool. Brilliant opening sequence. I found it a bit silly how the love interest declared she was leaving Bond just after saying she loved him and just before he went on the last mission. Very very silly. Decent film overall but perhaps the weakest of the Craigs.

Fantastic Four- The new one. Well.... This is...... It's like the Starship Troopers film, like they were making something different then tacked on the F4 license. Its not as awful a film as I'd heard (though flawed, by no means good) but it is really not Fantastic Four.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 20, 2016, 05:11:11 PM
Incendies is very good. Based on a very strong play.

I hated Incendies the play, but I've come to the conclusion it was the fault of the production they made of it in Barcelona, rather than the play itself. It was very over the top.

LaCroix

man, fuck arrival

a movie grounded in hard science... only to blow its wad an hour in with magic, pure unexplained magic that the movie seems to pretend is science. there were other issues, like [spoiler]the china, world reaction stuff that had about as much subtlety/nuance/depth as the dark knight's *moral dilemma* with the ships[/spoiler], but they could have been forgiven had the movie not gone retarded at the end

Liep

Quote from: LaCroix on December 21, 2016, 09:27:23 AM
man, fuck arrival

a movie grounded in hard science... only to blow its wad an hour in with magic, pure unexplained magic that the movie seems to pretend is science. there were other issues, like [spoiler]the china, world reaction stuff that had about as much subtlety/nuance/depth as the dark knight's *moral dilemma* with the ships[/spoiler], but they could have been forgiven had the movie not gone retarded at the end

:D

It's a movie. You buy aliens showing up but not some scientific make-believe? I agree with your 2nd problem though, but Arrival is still my movie of the year.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

LaCroix

I can buy star wars, cloud atlas, etc., because those are basically fantasy movies. they're pretty consistent with their magical elements, and it's easier to overlook them because they don't even try to be scientific--science in their world is magic.

arrival desperately wants to be taken seriously, but it shits all over its science for the sake of a completely unnecessary plot device

LaCroix

interstellar did a better job with its iffy science, because the nature of black holes and time seems to leave enough room to maybe make things in that movie work

but [spoiler]the ability to break through the fabric of time by learning a language[/spoiler] is just so left field and only barely based on an already (iirc) debunked theory

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2016, 02:24:06 PM
I get you're not a fan of his Canadian movies? Can't say I have seen any of his pre-Hollywood work besides Enemy.
I've seen Polytechnique, and I tried to watch Incendies.

The problem with Incendies is that it's way too slow.

The problem with Polytechnique is that... I don't know.  It's not a bad movie, far from it.  I don't like b&w, but in this instance, I totally get it.  It was a real tragedy and it emphasizes the point.  Maybe because I saw this on live tv news and we talked so much about it, it conveyed something far more sinister than anything similar that would happen in the US or Europe.  Maybe that is part of the problem, me.

What I didn't like is, that we never discover who the victims were, nor do we get to know the killer.  It could have been a re-enacted documentary I would have gotten the same feeling out of it.  I felt it lacked something to cohesively tie everything together.

But as I said, maybe it's just me, it rings too close to home.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2016, 04:03:40 AM
Supergirl- The TV series. First 2 episodes. Well this is awful. Its aimed at kids right? Its all very....yes, silly is the best word.
I think I managed to reach #3 or #4.  Apparently, season 2 on The CW is very good, but I haven't dared.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.