News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

Anyone (Berk/Habs) tried Twilight in the East? I'm in the WW1 mood but I've seen differing opinions to say the least about this one...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Delirium on January 25, 2010, 08:12:59 AM
Anyone (Berk/Habs) tried Twilight in the East? I'm in the WW1 mood but I've seen differing opinions to say the least about this one...

That's strange; what differing opinions have you seen of it?  The only things I've heard have been universally positive, that the game's clean, well-made, that the rules work out of the box and have minimal errata and that it is, most importantly, fun.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on January 25, 2010, 10:52:23 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 25, 2010, 09:30:46 AM
And Liberte as well!

Told you you'd make money off that.

Yeah, that is a no-brainer.

I am worried about THG though - I am really hoping it goes for at least $200. Only 1 bid (for the min of course) but 14 people are watching it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Delirium

Quote from: Habbaku on January 25, 2010, 10:51:45 AMThat's strange; what differing opinions have you seen of it?  The only things I've heard have been universally positive, that the game's clean, well-made, that the rules work out of the box and have minimal errata and that it is, most importantly, fun.

Internationally almost only positive but I know some guys (hardcore gamers) in Stockholm played it over almost a year and some qualms with it, mainly that the rules were unnecessarily complicated for what they tried to achieve, in particular that each combat took some amount of time even to administer single step losses.

But as you say there are lot of positive vibes so I'm working to get my hands on a reduced price copy.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Barrister

Speaking of EBay...

In cleaning out the basement on Sunday I came across my rather extensive set of Illuminati: New World Order cards.  I'm positive I have every one of the cards from the original set, plus several unique German cards, and I had most of th cards from the expansion.

Do you think that kind of stuff would sell?  I know they don't make INWO anymore, so people probably don't play it, but still...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2010, 12:13:39 PM
Do you think that kind of stuff would sell?  I know they don't make INWO anymore, so people probably don't play it, but still...

Yeah, but probably not for a lot.  Go to ebay and search to see how comparable auctions are running:
http://bit.ly/66yazL

PRC

Speaking of eBay... came across this geeklist on BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/9600/games-worth-gold-they-easily-sell-for-about-s100/page/1 about games that have gone from some good dollar amounts...

List Item # 80 is "Trafalgar", a 1968 title self-published, which this thread says went for $1,035.00 on eBay.  http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/284353/the-mighty-trafalgar-s1035-on-ebay Yikes! 

Oexmelin

Quote from: Berkut on January 25, 2010, 11:16:04 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 25, 2010, 10:52:23 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 25, 2010, 09:30:46 AM
And Liberte as well!

Told you you'd make money off that.

Yeah, that is a no-brainer.

Is it because it is good, or because it has a horde of devoted players ? I am tempted to pick it up at the local game store.
Que le grand cric me croque !

frunk

It's not bad, nothing earth shattering and the victory conditions are nicely funky.  I prefer playing where you can draw or play two single block cards on your turn, it keeps the card display from clogging with garbage and makes for more interesting choices on each person's turn.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on January 25, 2010, 08:12:59 AM

Read the BoardGameGeek thread on that one;  it's an interesting critique...sort of a positive negative one...and decide for yourself.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/432997/a-negative-review-of-1914-twilight-in-the-east

I have it;  haven't played it of course(duh), but if it's monster games you want on the WW1 Eastern Front, this is the one.  Shitload of off-map counter and chart management, though.

Delirium

Yeah. I don't know, it might be too heavy but East Front WW1 just feels so 2010.  :Canuck:

Delirium

Just bought Twilight in the East, but it won't be delivered for a few weeks.

My next game I just got to have is The Killing Ground, but people seem generally reluctant to give up their copies...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on January 29, 2010, 04:47:22 PM
My next game I just got to have is The Killing Ground, but people seem generally reluctant to give up their copies...

I'd taunt you with my copy, but that would be cruel.