OK, I'm doing it...yes, I'm doing it...I think I am...yeah

Started by CountDeMoney, April 17, 2010, 10:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

This thread plus a recent windfall plus my birthday convinced me to buy a PS3.  :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

How many secondhand sunglass sales does it take to buy a PS3?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lucidor

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 24, 2010, 09:32:02 PM
How many secondhand sunglass sales does it take to buy a PS3?  :hmm:
You rubed Sieges sunglasses?!  :mad:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martim Silva

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 22, 2010, 06:08:12 AM
So far, all it's done is remind me why first-person shooters are better with a mouse and keyboard.

In control terms yes, but if you get up close to the TV the effect is amazing - it feels just like you're there in the action.

(I've reached a point where I can no longer stand just sitting in the couch when playing. I just have to go and stand right in front of the screen)

garbon

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 26, 2010, 07:41:29 AM
In control terms yes, but if you get up close to the TV the effect is amazing - it feels just like you're there in the action.

(I've reached a point where I can no longer stand just sitting in the couch when playing. I just have to go and stand right in front of the screen)

Nice, clean, sterile action. Btw, have you considering getting glasses?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martim Silva

Quote from: garbon
Nice, clean, sterile action. Btw, have you considering getting glasses?

Some games have gore, where hitting someones' head with a shot blows up the skull.

I use glasses at home (my eyeshight is not what it used to be... I'm not 30 anymore). I do have contact lenses for work/social occasions, but I prefer glasses at home. My TV doesn't hurt my eyes, though.

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 21, 2010, 01:37:10 PM
Blu-Ray?  Is that the format that still burns media to a plastic disk and then distributes it in physical packages?

How quaint.
Digital distribution is all well and good for people who don't own very much, but for people like me, storage space would become an issue.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 26, 2010, 12:46:52 PM
Some games have gore, where hitting someones' head with a shot blows up the skull.

The gore flies out and hits you, does it?

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 26, 2010, 12:46:52 PM
I use glasses at home (my eyeshight is not what it used to be... I'm not 30 anymore). I do have contact lenses for work/social occasions, but I prefer glasses at home. My TV doesn't hurt my eyes, though.

I was just suggesting that then you wouldn't have to get so close to your tv to see it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 26, 2010, 07:41:29 AM

I do this too  :blush:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 21, 2010, 01:37:10 PM
Blu-Ray?  Is that the format that still burns media to a plastic disk and then distributes it in physical packages?

How quaint.

Yep-- and it's a physical good you can actually own, lend, and re-sell if you want.  You can rip it & transfer to different devices.  I guess that actually is quaint these days.

FWIW, now that prices have come down, some blu-ray movies have actually become a decent entertainment value.  The last few movies I bought were usually around $13-$15 in price, and came with extras, including a blu-ray disc with bonus material, standard DVD, and digital copy (which won't play on my Zune but it's a nice thought at least).  And some older titles can be found for $10 and under. 

And if I were a videophile, I'd mention that no streamed/downloaded/broadcasted content can match the bitrate of a blu-ray disc. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall