News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2010, 06:46:32 PM
The japs at least have their head collecting fetish. Although I don't think I've ever seen a game with that.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Delirium

I may have asked this before, but did anybody (Berk, Habs?) try GMT's Great War in Europe from a few years ago? I've managed to cut through all the map and counter errata and have the rules down pretty good now, starting a ftf test next week.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Berkut

Me and Habs started a game, but it languished - my fault, and we never got it going again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Delirium

I see. It really is errata heavy, found even more stuff. Did they have a bad day over at GMT?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Larch

Tried two new games today, Shogun and the new edition of Republic of Rome. Great fun with both.

Ed Anger

There is some cheap games at the Troll and Toad sale:

http://www.trollandtoad.com/Board-Games-%26-Card-Games/5611-1321p1n10.html

The GMT stuff is mostly picked over. *cough*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

Lots of stuff lately, some of which I've already mentioned.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1513/the-republic-of-rome

Republic of Rome, which I'm still reading the rules to, but seems like fun.  Political back-biting combined with competitive-cooperative play seems a good mixture.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33665/battle-above-the-clouds

Battle Above the Clouds, the latest in the GCACW series.  Not sure how this one will work out, but the system itself is rock solid.  The rules for insubordination and the give-and-take of the actual campaign lead me to believe this will be a nice game, overall.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/32838/the-battle-for-normandy

The Battle for Normandy, a "mini-monster" or playable monster-game from GMT.  The rules are somewhat weird at first, but there aren't many of them and exceptions/special cases seem to be in relatively short supply.  I'm in a game with Berkut and a couple of others right now and it's starting to become enjoyable for me.  Unfortunately, Berkut has pretty much slowed us down at every turn.

As Tamas mentioned, I will likely run a Republic of Rome game here before too long...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on January 18, 2010, 09:52:44 PM

The Battle for Normandy, a "mini-monster" or playable monster-game from GMT.  The rules are somewhat weird at first, but there aren't many of them and exceptions/special cases seem to be in relatively short supply.  I'm in a game with Berkut and a couple of others right now and it's starting to become enjoyable for me.  Unfortunately, Berkut has pretty much slowed us down at every turn.

:ultra:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

the truth hurts eh berkie?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Also just wanted to say thanks for this thread guys some interesting games, none I'll ever play probably but good to see what is out there these days.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on January 18, 2010, 09:52:44 PMhttp://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1513/the-republic-of-rome

Republic of Rome, which I'm still reading the rules to, but seems like fun.  Political back-biting combined with competitive-cooperative play seems a good mixture.

The new edition or the old one? BGG is down, so I can't check the link. If it's the new one, we've played that in my group last week, we made a warm up/tutorial in which we played the Early Republic phase, and will soon start the whole campaign. We also have experience with the old edition, which is much nastier and difficult IMO. If you have doubts or need tips, just ask.  :)

Tamas

So new RoR is less difficult than old RoR? :(

BTW I am looking for an European time-zone PBEM opponent who can do turns during office hours so I am less bored. I am flexible in regards game to be played.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on January 19, 2010, 02:32:29 AM
So new RoR is less difficult than old RoR? :(

They tweaked the rules just a little bit, though all of the changes listed in the back of the rules seem to just be including the errata and improving the thematic stuff, which is a good thing.  I don't know if anything was actually made easier on the players, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I will check it out later.

Early Republic -altough being the best learning scenario since you dont have to worry much about provinces or internal intrique since you are fighting for mere survival- with noobs used to gravitate heavily toward either total defeat, or Scipio Africanus just pwning everyone in terms of influence.

Habbaku

Well, the new edition (and maybe the old one, too?) offers the chance to play a "campaign game" that just continues right on from the Early Republic, so I would think that would prevent someone from running away with things easily.

-J. R. R. Tolkien