And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 17, 2010, 05:39:03 PM
Just ordered Ici, C'est la France!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29379/ici-cest-la-france-the-algerian-war-of-independenc

The Ali-la-Pointe counter closed the deal.  (but where is petit Omar)?

CB box and living rules online? :mmm: Can I: PBEM this?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2010, 02:39:58 AM

If you don't mind a leisurely pace, I'll give it a shot once the game arrives.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2010, 10:04:00 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2010, 02:39:58 AM

If you don't mind a leisurely pace, I'll give it a shot once the game arrives.

Ok :)

katmai

Hey Board gaming nerds of Languish

Any input on http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22604/the-halls-of-montezuma would be appreciated.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

I played Avalon Hill's 1979 version of Dune this weekend. Damn fine game, but very grinding. Ended up the second game of the session with a splitting headache.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on February 22, 2010, 06:46:35 AM
I played Avalon Hill's 1979 version of Dune this weekend. Damn fine game, but very grinding. Ended up the second game of the session with a splitting headache.

Ah, the wargame headache. I hate those.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

COA's Fires of Midway is complete; playtesting is wrapped up.  Placement on the production table is next.

I think you guys will get a kick out of it when it comes out.

Caliga

Nice, did you: playtest it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Delirium

Quote from: katmai on February 19, 2010, 12:56:21 AM
Hey Board gaming nerds of Languish

Any input on http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22604/the-halls-of-montezuma would be appreciated.

You rang?

Sorry, haven't played it, only seen it laid out, it looks good, but it's all I can say.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

PRC

I just ordered Republic of Rome and should have a copy later in the week.  Habs if you're still going to run a pbem game and the players aren't maxed I'd love to give it a go.

crazy canuck

Ok need some more advice about board games.  The boys - now 13 and almost 11 - want to go to the boardgame shop and pick up a new game(s).

The board games we currently play most often are Settlers of Catan, Carcassone and Age of Empires III.  Also, we have a nice big room downstairs to devote to gaming so keeping games out between play sessions wont be a problem.

All your suggestions are welcome.

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2010, 05:25:50 PM
Ok need some more advice about board games.  The boys - now 13 and almost 11 - want to go to the boardgame shop and pick up a new game(s).

The board games we currently play most often are Settlers of Catan, Carcassone and Age of Empires III.  Also, we have a nice big room downstairs to devote to gaming so keeping games out between play sessions wont be a problem.

If they're playing Age of Empires III they're ready for pretty much anything.   What do they enjoy the most?

If they're really into Carcassone and Settlers then i'd suggest more games like that... Agricola, Stone Age, Smallworld.  If they're more into Age of Empires then i'd suggest Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization which is pretty good fun.  The full game clocks in around 4 hours.  Other options in that vein could be Imperial or Twilight Struggle.

The Larch

Quote from: PRC on March 01, 2010, 06:00:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 01, 2010, 05:25:50 PM

If they're playing Age of Empires III they're ready for pretty much anything.   What do they enjoy the most?

If they're really into Carcassone and Settlers then i'd suggest more games like that... Agricola, Stone Age, Smallworld.  If they're more into Age of Empires then i'd suggest Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization which is pretty good fun.  The full game clocks in around 4 hours.  Other options in that vein could be Imperial or Twilight Struggle.

Agricola is great, but may be a bit too complex, especially for the younger one. It has the positive side in that it can be played by varying numbers of people, from 3 to 5, without it loosing much in the way of playability.

I'd try Puerto Rico or Ticket to Ride first.