News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

I'm confused, who suggested World in Flames and the other hard core wargames?  :huh:

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Larch

Quote from: Delirium on March 02, 2010, 12:07:39 PM
I'm confused, who suggested World in Flames and the other hard core wargames?  :huh:

I only mentioned it because it's the wargame of choice in our group. There have been talks of a Fatal Alliances, but the recruiting pitch is not working too well.

PRC

Tick
Quote from: The Larch on March 02, 2010, 12:04:56 PM
In our gaming group "Ticket to Ride" is the most successful game amongst the light gamer demographic, most importantly among the gamer-girlfriend subsector. A sample dialogue could go like this:

Gamer A: "What if we play some boardgame?"
Gamer B: "Sweet, which one can we play?"
Gamer B's girlfriend: "You're going to start yet another game? I thought we would be home by now!"
Gamer B: "Don't worry dear, it'll be just a short game"
Gamer B's girlfriend: "Yeah, you said that last weekend and we ended up going home at 3 in the morning! No way you're staying this time!"
Gamer A: "We can play Ticket to Ride..."
Gamer B's girlfriend: "Oooh, may I join?"

Ticket to Ride is good fun, a great intro game.  I'd suggest going for the Europe map (adds a few game elements - tunnels & stations) or if you think you'll have a small group 2-3 then the Scandavian map.  Avoid Swiss map at all costs.

Grey Fox

American map ftw.

My girlfriend also likes Ticket to Ride. Can't get her to play Memoir 44.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 02, 2010, 12:40:39 PM
American map ftw.

The America map is good... it just doesn't have those extra features that are added to the game with the Euro map.

The Larch

Quote from: PRC on March 02, 2010, 12:45:47 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 02, 2010, 12:40:39 PM
American map ftw.

The America map is good... it just doesn't have those extra features that are added to the game with the Euro map.

The lack of those features makes the game faster paced and more cutthroat in the American map, which for some people is more interesting. The European map is mellower in that aspect, but also more sophisticated, as you have more ways to achieve your goals.

Grey Fox

Going to have to try the European map then. I didn't know the rules were different, I just thought it was a different map.

Syt

I gave a friend Munchkin for birthday, because he always wanted something RPGish, but not too heavy. Haven't had time to play with him yet, but he and other friends seems to love it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Apparently you can play Ticket to Ride online.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 02, 2010, 12:50:18 PM
Going to have to try the European map then. I didn't know the rules were different, I just thought it was a different map.

It¡s been a while since I played the American map, but I have the European one fresh in my mind. IIRC, there are three main differences:

1) Ferries: In order to build some routes that cross the sea (Britain - Continental Europe; Around Scandinavia; Greece - Turkey and so on), you may need to use a locomotive.
2) Tunnels: In order to cross mountains or difficult terrain, you may need to spend aditional cards to build a route.
3) Stations: You may place stations in certain cities, allowing you to use another player's route in order to win your cards.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on March 02, 2010, 12:53:59 PM
I gave a friend Munchkin for birthday, because he always wanted something RPGish, but not too heavy. Haven't had time to play with him yet, but he and other friends seems to love it.

Munchkin (and all its variants) is great fun, but may get over used too soon. It's better to play it with one or two suplements, IMO.

The Larch

PRC

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 02, 2010, 01:05:16 PM
Apparently you can play Ticket to Ride online.

You can play through Boardgamegeek.com or Day's of Wonders website.  I think you have to register that you own the game (or at least any Day's of Wonder game - they come with codes on the instruction books).

You can also play online (non-pbem) Settlers of Catan (with the expansions Cities & Knights or Seafarers) and Carcassone (with a couple expansions) at games.asobrain.com - though they've called them Xplorers and Toulouse for copyright issues.

chipwich

Then theres all the ones on xbox live (Catan, Carcassone, Panzer General AA, ticket to ride, a few others.)

crazy canuck

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I could be we end up purchasing more then one. :cool: