News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I happened to be in the store so I bought Runewars. In the best FFG tradition it's an enormous box that is almost completely empty.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

:yes:  I wargamed with a friend of mine on Saturday and he had it over there.  I wanted to take a look, so I went to take it off his shelf and was rather amused to find that it weighed next to nothing.

I'll be playing it, hypothetically, this Saturday.  Looks like fun.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

That was the nice thing about Twilight Imperium.

You could not complain that you didn't get anything for your $80.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Lettow77

of course not.

You got space cats, miu.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Berkut

Washington's War is "out for delivery". Go Big Brown Truck!

0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2010, 05:45:07 PM
:yes:  I wargamed with a friend of mine on Saturday and he had it over there.  I wanted to take a look, so I went to take it off his shelf and was rather amused to find that it weighed next to nothing.

I'll be playing it, hypothetically, this Saturday.  Looks like fun.

I like how FFG have researched: dial technology. And will use them in every game now.

The Brain

Today I got the Game of Thrones LCG Core Set. Me and my buddies are eager to play.

Berkut

FFG is going to be doing a "Battlelore" game on Westeros. Although judging from the QA, it isn't really going to be based on Battlelore at all, really.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1121

Some pretty amusing questions, actually.

0 rows returned

The Brain

:rolleyes:

-We are releasing a BattleLore game.

-Does it have anything at all to do with BattleLore?

-No.

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on March 10, 2010, 02:25:43 PM
:rolleyes:

-We are releasing a BattleLore game.

-Does it have anything at all to do with BattleLore?

-No.

Indeed, although I am glad they are not just doing a BL expansion with some Westeros figures/scenarios.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on March 10, 2010, 01:59:23 PM
Today I got the Game of Thrones LCG Core Set. Me and my buddies are eager to play.

I played that not too long ago.  I had fun, though I am biased towards liking any game that has mechanics similar to Magic : The Gathering (which this does).  I think it'd be more fun with the full complement of four, however.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on March 10, 2010, 02:40:36 PM
though I am biased towards liking any game that has mechanics similar to Magic : The Gathering (which this does).

That's all well and good but ghey CCG talk, just like ghey Euro-Germanic pacifist game talk, doesn't belong in this thread.

Martim Silva

My groups' take when we set up "Ticket to Ride":

- "How do we screw other players?"

Sums up well the general mindset. One of the reasons why half the people won't play Arkham Horror: "What do you mean, we cooperate?"

Quote from: The Larch
Gamer A: "What if we play some boardgame?"
Gamer B: "Sweet, which one can we play?"
Gamer B's girlfriend: "You're going to start yet another game? I thought we would be home by now!"
Gamer B: "Don't worry dear, it'll be just a short game"
Gamer B's girlfriend: "Yeah, you said that last weekend and we ended up going home at 3 in the morning! No way you're staying this time!"
Gamer A: "We can play Ticket to Ride..."
Gamer B's girlfriend: "Oooh, may I join?"

:D

Things are a problem when some players are in the "boyfriend/girlfriend" phase.

It kinda goes like this:

Me: "Your girlfriend is attacking you"
Gamer A: "That's ok".
Me: "Now she's attacking ME! I'll give you a good deal, help me out"
Gamer A: "I'll pass"
Me: "I repelled her. Now she's eating YOU alive! Defend yourself better!"
Gamer A: "Huh... fate is against me"

Things usually work MUCH better when couples are already married. Husbands and wives fight each other fiercely without problems.

German games are quite good. Loved "Imperial" and "Imperial2030" (but changed the wooden pieces for better plastic minis). I found it showed well how International Bankers control nations and create conflict just for profit.

(I won't be mean to the Germans and say that the players could easily be said to be representing Jewish bankers).

"Funkenschlag" was also good, mostly because you could screw other players by blocking their access to cities.

Twilight Imperium is a great game that gets everyones' eye. But get the expansion to fix the "Imperial" card. I highly recommend it.

Grand strategy wargames are pretty much disliked by women, but I think kids can handle them from ages 14 and onwards.

I suppose what is important is to know if one wants his kids to learn to cooperate with others or instead to destroy them.

The Larch

Habs, how are the plans for the "Republic of Rome" game going? Any timeframe in mind?