And we're back!

Main Menu

New boardgames

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 12:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on March 16, 2010, 03:53:19 PM
Boulder Games is shutting down.  :(

I figured that. it seemed like nothing older was ever in stock.

Where will I get my little bag of candy with my orders now?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 16, 2010, 04:56:06 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 16, 2010, 03:53:19 PM
Boulder Games is shutting down.  :(

I figured that. it seemed like nothing older was ever in stock.

Where will I get my little bag of candy with my orders now?

Fuck BoulderGames anyway.  They ship like old people fuck.  I'd get shit from SentryBox in Canada faster.

www.trollandtoad.com is where I order my shit now.  They are tha bombz indeed.

Lucidor

Played a friend yesterday using actual blocks in Commands and Colours. Battle of Akragas. I had wonderful luck with my heavy chariots chewing through his flank.

Funny how the cards rule the game. If you don't get any "move center" cards, there is no way you can move the center, ever. :hmm:

The Brain

Quote from: Lucidor on March 17, 2010, 02:35:56 PM
Played a friend yesterday using actual blocks in Commands and Colours. Battle of Akragas. I had wonderful luck with my heavy chariots chewing through his flank.

Funny how the cards rule the game. If you don't get any "move center" cards, there is no way you can move the center, ever. :hmm:

I'm not a fan of board CDGs. I prefer my wargames to be designed bottom-up or up-bottom. CDG gives me the feeling of a eurogame with a theme slapped on.

I don't have a problem with pure cardgames though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lucidor

Quote from: The Brain on March 17, 2010, 02:59:10 PM

I'm not a fan of board CDGs. I prefer my wargames to be designed bottom-up or up-bottom. CDG gives me the feeling of a eurogame with a theme slapped on.

I don't have a problem with pure cardgames though.
C&C is gamey, but good, I think. The blocks lure you into thinking it's a wargame, but it's really closer to Robo Rally.

PRC

I think it states in the rules that you can sacrifice any card to move a single unit anywhere on the board.  So even if you have a hand of entirely "move 3 left", you can still use one of those cards to move a single unit in the centre or the right.

The Brain

Played AGoT LCG again, three people. Amazingly enough I managed to win! I played Baratheon vs Lannister and Targaryen. It was really close and great great fun. I recommend this game.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

To celebrate my new gig, I ordered GMT's Battle of Normandy. 

Any kind of excuse to buy a game works these days.

Delirium

I've seen the components laid out, the game does look good, it may be our new project after our 1914:Twiligh in the East campaign.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on March 21, 2010, 02:13:19 PM
I've seen the components laid out, the game does look good, it may be our new project after our 1914:Twiligh in the East campaign.

Berkie and Habs say it's a very playable monster.

ulmont

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 21, 2010, 03:43:41 PM

They are lying.  I saw the rules and some of the opening CB moves; it's a stone cold motherfucker.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: ulmont on March 21, 2010, 05:22:03 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 21, 2010, 03:43:41 PM

They are lying.  I saw the rules and some of the opening CB moves; it's a stone cold motherfucker.

Well, in their defense, they just sorta set it up and play as they go along.  Didn't say they follow the rules or anything.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2010, 10:07:34 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2010, 10:04:00 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2010, 02:39:58 AM
CB box and living rules online? :mmm: Can I: PBEM this?

If you don't mind a leisurely pace, I'll give it a shot once the game arrives.

Ok :)

Got it and downloaded the CB Module.  Still have to read the rules.  Also note I have never used CB before so you will need to be patient with me.   :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Delirium

Quote from: ulmont on March 21, 2010, 05:22:03 PM

So they're actually playing the game and you've glanced at the rules and a few moves. Hmm, whose opinion could possibly be more valid in this case...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Larch

We have been playing Twilight Imperium (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12493/twilight-imperium-3rd-edition) for the last couple of weekends, and although I really want to like the game, I must say that it has some serious-ish design flaws. Has somebody else played it?